PDA

View Full Version : Hate to seem like an old fogie...

fabiodriven
04-12-2010, 08:46 AM
What's with all the new members not using punctuation or correct grammar? I think it may be the new generation used to texting and IM-ing. Just so you guys know, when I come across a post or a thread where it's just one run on sentence with no punctuation or capitol letters I won't even read it. I can't speak for other members but I would imagine if that's what I'm doing, there must be other people doing the same thing. I can understand a misspelled word here and there, nobody's perfect. To intentionally just type a whole paragraph that's just hurting my brain to read? Bullocks...

Mosh
04-12-2010, 08:50 AM
I agree.
Even in the rules it says "dont type like a idiot".

Half the time, I want to delete posts that are not punctuated.
You can't make heads or tails from some of those posts.

Vealmonkey
04-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Punctuation and run on sentences is the least of the problems. It seems people have no idea of how to make proper posts in their proper sections. I think the poor mods are overwhelmed. People posting about a rare 90 engine in the open forum and other such items. Either these people don't read the rules or can't read the rules.

fabiodriven
04-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Punctuation and run on sentences is the least of the problems. It seems people have no idea of how to make proper posts in their proper sections. I think the poor mods are overwhelmed. People posting about a rare 90 engine in the open forum and other such items. Either these people don't read the rules or can't read the rules.

I've noticed that too.

3wheelsinPA
04-12-2010, 10:00 AM
I must be an old fogie as well, it is quite irritating. Not everyone is a spelling bee winner, but put a little effort into making the post at least readable.

300rman
04-12-2010, 11:27 AM
I dont read them either. so your not alone! And im only 20

Thorpe
04-12-2010, 11:39 AM
29 here, and I can't stand it either... Prolly, does NOT mean probably... ("You can't fix stupid"-- Ron White)

dickieg89
04-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Agreed, I am no genius but I spent too much time in literature classes to type like a booger eating moron. I also can't stand all capitol letters. Craigslist drives me nuts, people try selling a ford trackter.

Woodsrider
04-12-2010, 01:10 PM
I agree 100% !!! Spelling errors are no biggie...but a paragraph without punctuation REALLY hurts my head...prolly(sic...lol) because I'm stupid or just plain curious enough to force my way through it...I'm 41 and when I text, I write properly....so I guess I'm really old school.....and I make no apologies for that.

Dirtcrasher
04-12-2010, 01:46 PM
I rarely help a seemingly idiotic person; It's never gonna turn in to a learning experience so why bother......They'll never read a free manual so why bother......

My Dad says people who are good with their hands and numbers in there head will be very valuable in the near future. We have developed a society of people who need Ipods, Ipads and calculators to do simple math. Everything has been made so simple now that people can't do it the basic way.....

topless
04-12-2010, 02:00 PM
If they can't take the time to type it out correctly, I don't have the time to try and read it. I'm no English major, but I've got spell check, so I don't look as bad as I could.

yooperman
04-12-2010, 03:02 PM
wow, these are starting to get pretty harsh guys, maybe some people dont know how to do proper grammer. Because i know lots of people that are behind in that department, but they can fix and work on anything with there hands, and far from being stupid, dumb and they could probally be some of the smartest people you could know, there smarts are just in there hands and exeriance. I'm not saying it is pointed at any one in paticular, but not want to help some one because they have bad grammer or cant spell that well, to just ignore them. Thats kind of sad actually when this site is here to help people. But i do agree with Vealmonkey, people do need to post in the proper locations. This is just my opinion though.

fabiodriven
04-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Ouch, my brain...

Dirtcrasher
04-12-2010, 03:53 PM
wow, these are starting to get pretty harsh guys, maybe some people dont know how to do proper grammer. Because i know lots of people that are behind in that department, but they can fix and work on anything with there hands, and far from being stupid, dumb and they could probally be some of the smartest people you could know, there smarts are just in there hands and exeriance. I'm not saying it is pointed at any one in paticular, but not want to help some one because they have bad grammer or cant spell that well, to just ignore them. Thats kind of sad actually when this site is here to help people. But i do agree with Vealmonkey, people do need to post in the proper locations. This is just my opinion though.

BTW - You spelled GRAMMAR, EXPERIENCE, PARTICULAR and PROBABLY incorrect. shens :welcome: :lol: We'll all live though............

Honestly, the spelling I can deal with but the run on sentences are very tough to decipher.

atctim
04-12-2010, 04:02 PM
I agree 100% with this post and do not like Generation-X's brand of short-hand. That being said - I intentionally type "prolly"all the time - but I do that more so to be a goof off. I only do it in emails to friends and on these boards.

cybrman
04-12-2010, 04:19 PM
I agree wholeheartedly.....this country is devolving. Our kids are becoming more and more dependent on technology to survive. Lord help us when the power goes out!
LOL.

Yooperman - seriously hope that was a joke.

hublake
04-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Being a retired teacher this new language is terrible.

Vealmonkey
04-12-2010, 04:23 PM
This stuff rates right up there with the people who list parts for sale and then don't show any pictures. If you try to tell them that they would stand a better chance of selling parts by including pictures of the parts, then they call you a smart ass. Better a smart ass than a dumb ass. LOL

MagicJames
04-12-2010, 04:32 PM
im.not.really.sure.what.you.are.talking.about.but. its.kind.of.irritating.to.me.also

It was painful to write that sentence. I'm huge into grammar, etc but the one thing I sometimes do is forget to capitalize i, whether it's alone or in i'm. Sometimes i will edit a post, days later to fix some grammar if I catch it the second time around.

muddog
04-12-2010, 05:05 PM
i am only 17 and all that shorthand seems retarded and hard to understand. Even when i text i use proper spelling, i'm the only person i know that does that

tanks350x
04-20-2010, 08:05 PM
I agree with everyones thoughts on the matter.. The way I look at it, if you have the brains to turn on a computer, and find certain websites, you should have a clue on how to type, and use proper grammar...

fabiodriven
04-20-2010, 10:02 PM
I agree with everyones thoughts on the matter.. The way I look at it, if you have the brains to turn on a computer, and find certain websites, you should have a clue on how to type, and use propper grammar...

You spelled proper wrong Roy.

cattle-dog
04-20-2010, 11:02 PM
my father quit school in 8th grade to go to work to help his family, he has now owned his own construction company for 40 years.
So needless to say his grammer and spelling are a little ruff, but to say someone would not talk or take time to listen to him would be a ignorant persons loss.
I carried a 99 in english and totally understand proper grammer and if you all do you will know that about two posts here are in this post are proper so i guess its all b.s. if you are going to preach proper grammer you had better know how to do it.
i do understand that some are unreadable but they are few. lighten up there are bigger problems in the world to worry about than something so trivial.

yooperman
04-20-2010, 11:18 PM
well said cattle-dog! I agree 100% with you.

fabiodriven
04-21-2010, 10:12 AM
My brain...

Vealmonkey
04-21-2010, 11:17 AM
I think the real gripe is not the spelling or grammar or punctuation. I think the real gripe is that there are people who won't even try or make the attempt. People on here who don't make an attempt to at least try and follow the few rules on here. People that don't even seem to pay attention to what sections that they are making posts in. For new people I can understand it. But even alot of the new people here have been guests for a short while so they should have a little idea what is going on. People who seemingly make no attempt at doing a search. When you pull up the trikeslyvania page and there are 3 posts on the same page about someone not having any spark, I think there is a problem. I miss the "thumbs", but most people didn't use them anyway.

MudBug
04-21-2010, 02:13 PM
my father quit school in 8th grade to go to work to help his family, he has now owned his own construction company for 40 years.
So needless to say his grammer and spelling are a little ruff, but to say someone would not talk or take time to listen to him would be a ignorant persons loss.
I carried a 99 in english and totally understand proper grammer and if you all do you will know that about two posts here are in this post are proper so i guess its all b.s. if you are going to preach proper grammer you had better know how to do it.
i do understand that some are unreadable but they are few. lighten up there are bigger problems in the world to worry about than something so trivial.

Fail. You carried a 99% in english like that ? :lol:

I agree with everything here. The occasional typo here and there isn't bad, at least we know what you're trying to say, but when some people post on here I get headaches for days. 10 lines with one or two commas or periods? Come on, this isn't the 5th grade. Many of my friends are like this also and it drives me nuts! :lol:

SPD FRK
04-21-2010, 02:25 PM
The one that gets me is," needs rebuilt." It either needs TO BE rebuilt or it needs a REBUILD.
Another one is the difference between loose and lose. Loose means it is falling off and lose means it fell off and you can't find it.
People who use these phrases are "LOOSERS" ;)

cattle-dog
04-21-2010, 05:58 PM
I do not need to sit and waste my time to get my grammer correct on a three wheeler forum. that is a waste of time and space here.
I believe Vealmonkey is correct about the post in the wrong sections but there is allready a thread about that here which is one of the things being complained about. i am always in a hurry when i type and for a forum my grammer will do, when I draw up a contract for a customer then i will worry about my grammer.
For me life is about being the best person i can and trieing to help others along the way, not to belittle someone because they dont speak or type correctly, that my friend shows what kind of person one really is. Cattle-dog

fabiodriven
04-21-2010, 07:35 PM
The one that gets me is," needs rebuilt." It either needs TO BE rebuilt or it needs a REBUILD.
Another one is the difference between loose and lose. Loose means it is falling off and lose means it fell off and you can't find it.
People who use these phrases are "LOOSERS" ;)

I am so glad somebody brought that up!!! I thought I was the only person who didn't talk like that! How does somebody in their right mind type "needs rebuilt"? I actually heard somebody say that something "needs cleaned" once. I thought they misspoke at first, until they said it 4 more times the same way.

I'm getting a kick outta some of these guys posting in this thread. If I were an offender I would definately steer clear of this thread!:lol: