PDA

View Full Version : Hmm.. Wonder what HONDA has in mind..

honda200x1987
04-13-2010, 09:29 PM
I went to my local Honda shop today and picked up some new 200X parts. I asked him why there are not any 2010 Honda sport ATV's being built. He said they can't sell the 2009 models, so I was thinking maybe Honda will now do something different. Maybe if Honda took the old school 1986 TRX250R look and made a new model year. They can also use the 86-87 ATC200X rear fenders and ,similar blue seat and decals and make an awsome looking machine. Honda maybe looking into a whole new look as we speak due to the low sales of the Quads, who knows. The fact is Honda needs to do the same thing as the car manufactures did. ..CHEVROLET for instance took the look of the 1968 CAMARO SS and made a new 2010 CAMARO SS. This is my take on the situation.

SWIGIN
04-13-2010, 09:53 PM
This happend before in the late 80s.

Honda stoped making sport quads once and they are doing it again.

rdlsz24
04-13-2010, 11:06 PM
I think all the manufacturers should offer at least retro graphics/seats.

Rob

tecat-z
04-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Oh well! Let them fade away. In my honist opinion every Honda atv since 1989 has been a very feeble attempt to keep up. Yamaha has always put emphasis on performance and style. And continue to completely rule the atv scene today. ( in sales and technology) To many Honda faithful continue to relish on the past work of Honda and the great machines the DID make a 1/4 century ago. They are a very avarage atv/off road bike company today.

Xpress
04-13-2010, 11:22 PM
They need to make reverse trike designs. Those would be cool (and possibly more stable if done right...).

Eric250R
04-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Oh well! Let them fade away. In my honist opinion every Honda atv since 1989 has been a very feeble attempt to keep up. Yamaha has always put emphasis on performance and style. And continue to completely rule the atv scene today. ( in sales and technology) To many Honda faithful continue to relish on the past work of Honda and the great machines the DID make a 1/4 century ago. They are a very avarage atv/off road bike company today.

Very well said....

petesatc
04-14-2010, 05:13 AM
Honda has a brand new 450R coming out this year and thats the main reason they stopped making sport ATV's this year to clear all the dealers because the next 450R is going to be VERY FUNKY indeed......new everything so they would struggle to sell the old model.....roll on Sept!!!!!!

honda200x1987
04-14-2010, 09:25 AM
Honda has a brand new 450R coming out this year and thats the main reason they stopped making sport ATV's this year to clear all the dealers because the next 450R is going to be VERY FUNKY indeed......new everything so they would struggle to sell the old model.....roll on Sept!!!!!!

Can't wait to see the new look!

jensenracing77
04-14-2010, 03:14 PM

much truth there but don't hold your breath for September yet.

Mr_RPM
04-14-2010, 03:19 PM

honda is a conservative company. they dont always build the most extreme machines and are rarely to be the first at doing new things. but what they do build they build right and proper and take alot of care in craftsmanship and quality. people who have any rough understanding of the atv scene know not to talk crap about honda. just think of honda as being a conservative company. they only build what they know works.

tecat-z
04-14-2010, 05:08 PM
honda is a conservative company. they dont always build the most extreme machines and are rarely to be the first at doing new things. but what they do build they build right and proper and take alot of care in craftsmanship and quality. people who have any rough understanding of the atv scene know not to talk crap about honda. just think of honda as being a conservative company. they only build what they know works.

If one were to drop the necessary $$$ into any machine, it would be competitive. Considering that Honda made the change to the bike engine B&S ratio in 06, tells the truth about the need for more power on top. Oh, and a small change in swingarm length. In stock trim, they are far from competitive in suspension & engine performance. I can guarentee they will not re-invent the wheel in their redesign. Simply use a new chassis, probably aluminum, and an injected version of an already familiar engine. But the Honda faithful will once again think it the best, in a flashback to 1985 when they were arguably #1.......

honda200x1987
04-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Everybody has their own perspective on what manufacturer they prefer wether its yamaha,kawsaki or honda. I prefer a honda when it comes to the ATC/ATV ,the quality , crafstmanship and the look of the machine compared to other manufacturer's. They make very dependalbe machines, I have rode nearly every make and model and honda was always number one in dependibility. The fact is the 1980's model honda ATC/ATV RULED but I do admit they are not doing their best on the ATV market today, That's why Honda should make a whole new design like they did in the mid to late 80's. Like cool stickers , graphics and bring back that old school look with the fenders and blue seat. The fenders they have on them today stick up in the air on the sport models. The bottom line is they need to take these ideas and make cool looking ATV's again that make you go ,"awww I got to have that"

Mr_RPM
04-14-2010, 08:16 PM
1 thing i hate that all manufacturers do is base all there sport models on one bike. all of hondas sport line up is based on the trx450, having a 400ex is like having the dumb slow version of the thing rather then it being its own machine. like a v8 mustang to a v6 mustang. they shouldent both be mustangs. lol just my thought.

honda200x1987
04-14-2010, 08:27 PM
1 thing i hate that all manufacturers do is base all there sport models on one bike. all of hondas sport line up is based on the trx450, having a 400ex is like having the dumb slow version of the thing rather then it being its own machine. like a v8 mustang to a v6 mustang. they shouldent both be mustangs. lol just my thought. Exactly, they should take the 1986-87 ATC200X and the 1986 TRX250R look and so on. Mold some new models from these historic machines and I gurantee sales would go through the roof if they done it right. Or make the ATC again.. ya I'm dreamin. lol

tecat-z
04-14-2010, 08:41 PM
I agree that a retro looking machine would be hot! Again, it's basing sales on what people believe to be the best, or remember someone having back in the day. I don't think the newly styled machines have that same kind of timeless good look. A retro TRX styled machine would be a genius marketing move. Like Dodge pulled off in the remake of the Charger. Classic good looks........Over a modern chassis/engine. I'm still waiting for the DFI 2stroke to make it's debut though. This is coming in the not to distant future, and the 2stroke will make a comeback in motocross, and eventually spread to some sport atv's.

Mr_RPM
04-14-2010, 08:57 PM
well i think part of sales being bad is the lack of money for toys. my dad works at a motorcycle dealer and everything is extra slow. sales, service, all types of machines, everything. and whats this DFI 2 stroke?
but yeah the retro look might help. idk

honda200x1987
04-14-2010, 09:30 PM
I agree that a retro looking machine would be hot! Again, it's basing sales on what people believe to be the best, or remember someone having back in the day. I don't think the newly styled machines have that same kind of timeless good look. A retro TRX styled machine would be a genius marketing move. Like Dodge pulled off in the remake of the Charger. Classic good looks........Over a modern chassis/engine. I'm still waiting for the DFI 2stroke to make it's debut though. This is coming in the not to distant future, and the 2stroke will make a comeback in motocross, and eventually spread to some sport atv's.

Did you say they will be making a 2stroke again? 2 kewl. and I think we should contact someone at honda in marketing and give them these ideas.

oldskool83
04-15-2010, 09:03 AM
from what i was aware of honda was going to stop production because there were so many 07-08-09 models on the floors yet. but for some reason i thought this was only with the 450r models. if you look at hondas past they've taken time off with models, dirtbikes too and bought then back a year or 2 later unchaged. i think the markets just flooded with everything right now.

my local dealer has nothing 2010 honda but some sportbikes, does it bother me...nope im not buying anything new.

TeamGeek6
04-15-2010, 12:54 PM
economy SUCKS, they cant sell a luxury item? Not surprised. And then, this:

"He said they can't sell the 2009 models,"

Yeah, they had the same problem in the 1985 Honda Goldwings. PIECE OF trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro. Miserable engineering failures. They broke down not quite as often as the
Harleys due to electrical system failures, then COVERED IT UP.
I bought a NEW 1986 Wing in 89 still in the shipping crate, the electrical system failed a month or two later.

RIDE-RED 250r
04-15-2010, 08:10 PM

2-stroke DI tech is already a reality in the sled world with the Rotax E-TEC engines available in Doo's 600ho and 800r. And it was in Johnson/Evinrude outboards in the early 2000's. So far from what i see over in Dootalk and hear from other riders they are terrific! It would be great to see the return of the 250r's, quadracers and so on, but it would be tough to do without infringing on Rotax's patent im pretty sure they still have at the moment. Imagine......the hp of the late model, 2-stroke, 250 bikes on a sport quad to compete with the new thumpers! Just in case anyone is wondering, Doos E-TEC sleds get nearly double the fuel economy as their older counterparts, make more hp than their older, carbureted counterparts, and run as clean, or in some cases CLEANER then their current 4-stroke counterparts......something to chew on huh??

tecat-z
04-15-2010, 10:46 PM
It will instantly make the so called modern 4stroke antiquated once again. But....... The rules need to be changed in pro MX. The handicap given to the 450's is just rediculous. Some people just don't understand 250cc is 250cc, regardless of engine design. KTM already has a DFI bike ready for release, but under the current class structure it doesn't fit anywhere. Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kaw also have much interest in developing DFI for 2stroke. But Honda is rejecting it fiercely. They also occupy seats on the AMA board and have big time input in class structure. No other oem has that luxury. And it's wrong. It all boils down to dirty politics, even if winning means changing the rules to compete.

RIDE-RED 250r
04-22-2010, 05:47 PM
i hear ya, but i think there is still a STRONG following and demand for 2-strokers, and if the tech is there, its just a matter of time before it breaks out. as i mentioned before, BRP is having great success with the E-TEC 2-stroke sleds. obviously, 4-strokes have a following as well. you can see in the sled world that 4-strokes and 2-strokes both sell well. ulitmately, i would LOVE to see the manufacturers get it in gear, and get some D.I. 2-stroke machines on showroom floors! let the consumer decide what he/she wants for crying out loud. i think that like the sled side of it, you would see both develope a following and both still sell well...

i think as far as sleds, Yammy is going to regret going exclusively 4-stroke. while their thumper sleds fetch great reviews in many areas, they cant come close to competing in the power-to-weight contest. the 2-stroke sleds were a dying breed till BRP brought in the E-TEC sleds. now, the other brands are racing to catch up. Yammi is in trouble in that area....the next few years will prove to be interesting.....lets keep our fingers crossed on the prospect of some new D.I. 2-stroke 250s in the future!!!

3Razors
04-30-2010, 10:49 PM

Exactly. They are not the innovators they once were. And all the brands except Polaris have caught up and are on par with Honda reliability.

The Goat
05-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Honda's market share is slowly getting taken over... polaris is now only 1 0r 2% behind...and that was as of last year.

Recreational atv riding is only a tith of the market...always have to remember that guys.