PDA

View Full Version : Welfare at its finest

300rman
04-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Why work when I can get £42,000 in benefits a year AND drive a Mercedes?

By Paul Sims
13th April 2010
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/04/12/article-0-091A7FB7000005DC-276_468x624.jpg

The Davey family's £815-a-week state handouts pay for a four-bedroom home, top-of-the-range mod cons and two vehicles including a Mercedes people carrier.

Father-of-seven Peter gave up work because he could make more living on benefits.

Yet he and his wife Claire are still not happy with their lot.

With an eighth child on the way, they are demanding a bigger house, courtesy of the taxpayer.

More on the way: The Davey family at home

'It's really hard,' said Mrs Davey, 29, who is seven months pregnant. 'We can't afford holidays and I don't want my kids living on a council estate and struggling like I have.

'The price of living is going up but benefits are going down. My carer's allowance is only going up by 80p this year and petrol is so expensive now, I'm worried how we'll cope.

'We're still waiting for somewhere bigger.'

Mrs Davey has never had a full-time job while her 35-year-old husband gave up his post in administration nine years ago after realising they would be better off living off the state.

At their semi on the Isle of Anglesey, the family have a 42in flatscreen television in the living room with Sky TV at £50 a month, a Wii games console, three Nintendo DS machines and a computer - not to mention four mobile phones.

With their income of more than £42,000 a year ($65,000 US), they run an 11-seater minibus and the seven-seat automatic Mercedes.

But according to the Daveys they have nothing to be thankful for.

'It doesn't bother me that taxpayers are paying for me to have a large family,' added Mrs Davey.

'We couldn't afford to care for our children without benefits, but as long as they have everything they need, I don't think I'm selfish.

'Most of the parents at our kids' school are on benefits.'

She added: 'I don't feel bad about being subsidised by people who are working. I'm just working with the system that's there.

'If the government wants to give me money, I'm happy to take it. We get what we're entitled to. I don't put in anything because I don't pay taxes, but if I could work I would.'

The couple met in a pub 13 years ago. A year later, at the age of 17, Mrs Davey gave birth to Jessica, now 12.

The full feature appears in this week's Closer magazine, on sale now.

She was followed by Jade, ten, Jamie-Anne, eight, Harriet, six, Adele, four, the couple's only son Tie, three, and Mercedes, two.

'It cost too much to carry on working as we were actually better off unemployed,' said Mr Davey.

In addition to income support, housing benefit, child tax credits and a council tax discount, the couple receive carer's allowance and disability living allowance for Tie, who suffers from a severe skin disorder.

Despite filing for bankruptcy 18 months ago after racking up £20,000 of debt on mail order catalogues they still insist on splashing out on four presents per child at birthdays and last Christmas spent £2,000 on gifts alone.

'Santa is always generous in our house,' said Mrs Davey, who once applied to join the police but was turned down.

She insists her husband would do any job 'as long as we could still afford the lifestyle we have now'.

Mrs Davey, who spends £160 a week at Tesco, says she does not intend to stop at eight children. Her target is 14.

And she adds: 'I've always wanted a big family - no one can tell me how many kids I can have whether I'm working or not.'

muddog
04-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Welfare at its finest
shens welcome to the 21st century, i have nothing against welfare just against people who abuse it.

300rman
04-14-2010, 06:23 PM
shens welcome to the 21st century, i have nothing against welfare just against people who abuse it.

Nor do i. When people need help, sure, by all means, help them.

anyone that is on it because they are lazy drug addicts is the people i have a problem with.

dcreel
04-14-2010, 08:03 PM
The problem is the government doesn't care who is on welfare. They don't manage it or police it. Back in the old days, if you were on state assistance you built roads. I think everyone in the u.s. should go on welfare, see if that gets their attention.

honda200x1987
04-14-2010, 08:19 PM
So true, people abuse welfare to get out of everyday work. There are people out there who sell their link card/food stamps for cash every month. They also live in housing projects that don't cost much at all to live in and living better than I do ,oh did I mention alot are on drugs.. I work for a living and pay out the rear in taxes that go to people like that. It is one thing to help someone get on their feet but living off of it year after year is bull. What the goverment should do is drug test these people like my work does from time to time and if they fail, no more food stamps and welfare check. If I have to get drug tested to keep my job they sure as hell need to to the same with the people on welfare. That is why most people stay on it, they can smoke weed everyday without any worries knowing that their check will be there at thre first of the month and that's why they don't look for a job!

ilmoakw
05-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Makes me want to puke! It drives me nuts when i work and work the skin off my trailpro to provide for my family while others to lazy to work get handed eveything they need to survive and then more!

Escanabajosh
05-21-2010, 08:31 AM
hey man there are JUST AS many (if not more) drunk pieces of trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro as there is pot heads! america needs to get off this "pot head" kick, it's going to be just as legal as beer soon.....GET USE TO IT!

i for one am a michigan medical marijuana patient (legal to have up to 2.5 ounces and smoke it too!) and happen to be laid off, i take my unemployment and thats it.....sure i could use the food stamps i make $500 less a month then when i was working! (heck i might have the cash to finish my 350x if i did!) but i wont. i worked 3 years at my the job i got laid off from, everyday 7-3 m-f! i'm single, if i had a family i might have to use it, but thats what it's there for. if i need it whats the big deal,i pay in for that trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro to!

i agree the people who are lazy (not all pot heads) shouldn't be able to abuse the system, but in my case what should i do? cause i like to smoke my tax money should go to a non smoker and i should be booted to the street?

if ya's wanna spend you time bitching about drugs talk about pain med's, i bet theres members on here (not calling anyone out, just saying it's everywhere) who are non-drinkers/non pot smokers who are hooked on them, it's sad that 20% of our nation is hooked on pain pills and unlike marijuana, they WILL kill you! they all think it's okay to just cause there doc gave them to em,lol!

Tri-Z 250
05-21-2010, 09:51 AM
The insentive to get off the program does not exist. Why? Why not? Why would you?
1. Your Goverment has given all your jobs away in back pocket deals. The Schools have been DUMBED down by teachers Unions, because little Billy's riddlen isn't strong enough to turn him into a zombie. They complain about the quality of the child....I don't remember telling my frist boss the dirt in the ditch is too hard and heavy, and if I could work less for more money.
2. If every person that was on the system got a job....What would the Goverment Social worker do? How would you justifie all the Trillions spent on the DOLE.
3. Staying in the System....is easy, lots of lazy people like FREE to them. There is NO pride in welfare....it's annomosity and the you owe retabutions from discrimination attiude thats fueled 3-4 generation of families since it's inception.
The real abuse is the people who run the program...the rules to drop or end life programs went by the waste side. If your in the system no doubt getting on your feet isn't easy. The problem is when going through the system rules need to change
#1 DRUG TESTING
#2 NO Babies...Birth CONTROL implants MALE & FEMALE(if you have DNA linking you to a child on welfare...you get implanted as long as they recieve $. Both parents need to be steril before getting $...If the detached spouce is making support payments they are not required to be implanted.
#3 READ WRITE ADD SUBTRACT, everyone who enters the system will be required to pass education exames...The people leaving the program need to feel like they've steped forward instead of being dropped off
#4 Housing...NO outside family members are to live in the home, example Grandma is Section8 housing...only she and her qualifing spouce can live there...NO grandkids, and drugged out family members.
#5 ONLY HEALTHY FOODS WILL BE GIVEN OUT no pop,candy,chips ect
#6 NO smoking...you can recieve help to quit but will be required to quit within 1month
As for your topic friend....I think he has too many childern he cannot support. I believe he and she needs to get snipped. The goverment should adopt out the childern to more suitable families within 60days....Lets see if He and SHE both get jobs to save their family unit. I believe the education in welfare the parents are giving the kids will only return more welfare handouts. Extreme...you want to stop another generation by giving more? We've been doing that and it's about to get worse as more jobs are lost.

NOTICE the BURNS on the kid? Looks like he spilled boiling water on himself from the stove??? More good parenting

oldskool83
05-21-2010, 10:14 AM
they honestly have a mental illness and are abusing the system. i use to see it all the time when i worked for a food store, people would come in with these dam WIC checks for free food for the kids (more so baby products) damn women would be buying all kinda different soft drinks and the kid was like 3 months old, every now and then id bag up somthing for a baby but 90% of it was notthing a 3 month old could use.

these kinda people need to be hit by a buss...or else put them in the military and make them work.

jonathandexter
05-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Hey, I am poor, I work 40 to 70 hrs a week. I don't have my hand out for anything accept a handshake, or unless I just paid for it. I am tired of working, I have gone without food for 3, 5, and once even 9 days. I have gone without medical insurance, or a car for 4 years at one time in my life. Another time I was homeless in my car for 3 months. And you can bet I was going to job interviews every day! I am older now, I hurt every day, but I don't make any excuses to fail. I strive to Succeed!
Life is meant to be challenging and a struggle where I am from, thats what builds character. This is why people remember you favorably. For what you have accomplished, and challenges you have lived through with pride.
Not for what you took off the State or Government. When I was a young boy I recall there were 3 families that where on State Welfare system. All the parents were healthy, but just like these people. They kept making babies. Their kids wore better clothes than my sister and myself, they had cooler lunch boxes and tastier snacks. " BUT". Though no one actively picked on them, - They were considered "Less than" buy everyone I knew, because their parents allowed them to be takers. Right or wrong, I still think of their parents as dirty lazy people. And to this day though I would never disrespect some one, or shame them in public. I will never ever have respect or compassion for a healthy person that lives on the welfare system.
Ok thats my 10 cents on the matter.