PDA

View Full Version : Bee Problem

3wheelmecca
04-15-2010, 12:09 AM
What is the best way to get rid of bees? anything goes. I have an old aspen tree with 2 holes in it as well as a hollow section FULL of bees, all bees, nothing else. I can get to the holes, but need a good idea. I wanted to fill the hole with a little diesel or gas and light it and blow them out and burn the nest, but its hard to run like hell on a ladder. I was also thinking of using a miniature ditch burning LP tank setup, but worried about the tree catching fire. I just want to do it and yell " Shut ya trailprotrailprotrailpro Bees!":naughty::twisted: but want some opinions since this is not a Brakleen and torch solution, its bigger than that. Anyone have any good ideas?

SWIGIN
04-15-2010, 12:14 AM
At night they should be all in the tree and just hanging out. Go out and dump a crap load of gas down the hole and they and the tree will be dead.

3wheelmecca
04-15-2010, 12:16 AM
tree is already dead. sounds like a good idea, nice and unsafe. the thing is the entrance is the top hole and the exit is the bottom hole. I am worried it will ust hit a little. anything cheaper? Napalm? I hear styrofoam and gasoline make a good gel Napalm.

TDS
04-15-2010, 12:19 AM
expand-o-foam them in there. i think wd40 kills them also

3wheelmecca
04-15-2010, 12:21 AM
ahh, yes, Squirty Foam. That seems like a kick ass idea. I should just cap one end, stick in a 1/4 stick of dynamite in there, extend the fuse, and cap the other end, light, run, and watch the tree turn into splinters. jkjk. good idea tho, I will get soem Squirty Foam soon then.

Tecate 50
04-15-2010, 12:28 AM
Absolutley......Squirty foam there butts in there! If you decide to take the nuclear bomb route, then photos or videos please.....lol!

300rman
04-15-2010, 02:16 AM
As soon as i opened this thread, the ad banner at the top was for TERMINIX!:lol::lol:

But seriously, i would plug the top hole with GREAT STUFF, then stuff a lit blowtorch into the bottom hole. they wont be able to come down, and the heat and smoke will rise and kill them off. or great stuff both sides, but at the top, slide a small tube in first, seal around it, then pump bee killer of choice into tube. simply plugging both ends wont work, they will drill new holes well before they die off.

If they are pretty quiet at night, laquer thinner. that stuff kills them on contact, as does brake cleaner, so them flying out as your dumping shouldnt be too much of a problem. just be sure to have the bottom plugged, and a way to light it FAST and vacate. best ignition option= couple model rocket ignitors (cheap) enough wire to reach from the ground to the ignitor, and a battery that will set them off (9V ought to do it, test one first)

that way, you can dump like a madman, scramble down and ignite. then you dont have to race the fire down the side of the tree.

blowing it up will not kill em all, just piss them off.

We had a ground bee problem......exterminator quoted something rediculous....while he and dad were standing there talking, i dumped a gallon of laquer thinner into the hole and lit it. all gone!
BIG nest too, after it was lit, there was a CLOUD of bees that were "out" trying to come back in, and they would swoop down, most would melt their wings, then fall to their doom. sitting there watching it, there was a constant, nearly solid line of bees in and out all day long. couple thousand bees i bet. we all avoided that area cause the ground was hollow....foot going through the ground would have SUCKED.

chris200x
04-15-2010, 05:37 AM
my advice would be send one of your buddies up the tree & you hold the ladder. :)

shortline10
04-15-2010, 06:20 AM
I have had the problem many times with Bee's. A couple 5 gallon buckets of water mixed with a dish soap kills them instantly (Doesnt take much soap ). Seems strange but it works great . Also a fire extinguisher sprayed directly in the hive will kill them to .

SeaBass8
04-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Please video!

Dammit!
04-15-2010, 08:46 PM
I have had the problem many times with Bee's. A couple 5 gallon buckets of water mixed with a dish soap kills them instantly (Doesnt take much soap ). Seems strange but it works great . Also a fire extinguisher sprayed directly in the hive will kill them to .

I was getting ready to post the same thing. Soapy water works great and killing damn near any bugs. The soap makes the water cling to them instead of shedding off the way it normally would. They can't fly and eventually drown/suffocate.

3wheelmecca
04-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Hmmm..... (stroking beard) I think I am going to try the water, I will probably stick newrider3 up there and do it, he is fearless and not allergic to bees. If not that, I will just stick the oxygas in the bottom and Squirty Foam the top. Thanks.

my advice would be send one of your buddies up the tree & you hold the ladder. :)

3wheelsinPA
04-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Lack of bees is the reason fruit trees aren't doing well. Call a beekeeper, they'll remove them for free. Not as fun as blowing stuff up, but you might get a nice juicy apple out of it this fall.

3wheelmecca
04-15-2010, 11:13 PM
I would, but there are very little fruit farms (cept my school lol) in Colorado, most are about 200 miles away on the western slope of the Rockies, I am 30 miles from the Wyoming border on the east side, middle of nowhere.

4cylinders
04-16-2010, 09:47 AM
hey, yeah call a bee keeper, there may even bee a reward.

newrider3
04-16-2010, 05:01 PM
They're not bee bees, they're wasp bees. No one wants that trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro.

3wheelmecca
04-16-2010, 09:37 PM
alright, made my choice, newrider3 is going on the ladder to kill the wasp bees and shut their a--es.

Jason Hall
04-17-2010, 09:16 AM
I had a bee problem In the wall of my house. I could hear them at night. Thought It was termite's. I called the exterminator they said If you can hear them, It's not termite's probly bee's. I went outside and looked up to see what looked like a VERY busy bee airport LOL. They were shooting out one after another, flying In as fast as they were flying out. I used a shop vac duct taped near the hole sucked em up coming In and out. I ran the vacume for a couple hours a day, no more bee's!!!

300rman
04-17-2010, 08:56 PM
I had a bee problem In the wall of my house. I could hear them at night. Thought It was termite's. I called the exterminator they said If you can hear them, It's not termite's probly bee's. I went outside and looked up to see what looked like a VERY busy bee airport LOL. They were shooting out one after another, flying In as fast as they were flying out. I used a shop vac duct taped near the hole sucked em up coming In and out. I ran the vacume for a couple hours a day, no more bee's!!!

now thats a good idea!

i would stay away from oxytorch.....that mixture is extremely explosive.....if you do that, use the electronic ignition, and about 200 foot of wire.......