PDA

View Full Version : Busy season has hit!

smokinwrench
04-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Our 2010 scheduled outage will officially begin at 7am in the morning. Unofficially it began last week, when about 50/75 boilermakers/pipefitters/scalfolders, showed up to start getting ready. I got sent on an emergency to northern Ks on a 75 megawatt gas turbine that wouldn't fire up. I enjoy the go go go attitude of work, but get tired of working 7 days a week. Working 5, 14 hour days would be much better and get weekends off.

I got yesterday and today off. They always schedule us for 6 days a week 10 hours per day. I am in charge of the air heaters and it is a huge project that you could work on for weeks every time we open it. I'm sure I will work 7 days a week until May 8th weekend. Hoping I don't get stuck on night shift, we are going to have 6 boilermakers working nights, I think we have good enough guys that we won't have to be there to keep them working.

Guess I better enjoy this last off for awhile.

300rman
04-17-2010, 08:53 PM
i dont get the 6 10 hour days. they do that around here too, but a lot of other guys sit at home......would make more sense to bring more guys in.

smokinwrench
04-17-2010, 08:59 PM
We are so far out in the boonies, they have a hard time getting good quality union help. In turn they promise them lots of OT and pay them a bunch of money on the to and from trip. Not sure about the 10 hour days I would much rather do 5 14 hour days then 6 10's but the old guys say they can't wok that much in a day. If somethign goes bad in my section it can easily turn into 7 14's.