PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever do a "open carry"

Escanabajosh
04-20-2010, 07:07 AM
i've been reading on the michigan open carry law and i was thinking about flexing my rights on the 4th of july. i was going to walk around the park with a .44 blackhawk hanging of my shoulder, or a sig hanging of my leg.

i guess all you have to do is be 18 ,pistol registerd to you, be a lawabiding citizen! you can carry into a store or wherever as long as there isn't a no guns rule (there is a few places you cant take it like a day care and theater,court room, etc.) if a private property owner ask you to leave then you have to leave but i heard of wal marts being okay with it!

either way i think i'm going to do it and have my brother film it cause i have a fealing the barney fiffes we got up here are going to tase me......lawsuit! i guess if i cop comes up to you you can ask is the reson you stoping me because of my open carry? if he says yes then you dont have to give him ID, man that would tick them off if they didn't know the law,lol.

anyone ever do this? i hope to get a cpl in the next year or so but till then might as well use my rights, after all a right not used is a right lost!

hublake
04-20-2010, 12:25 PM
What is the purpose? Wouldn't it make sense to find out first?

jeopardy98
04-20-2010, 12:49 PM
I understand what you are trying to do here but I think it seems largely irresponsible as an adult to exercise your 2nd amendment rights just to see the reaction you get. There are enough anti's out there already and we definitely don't need to give them anymore ammunition (pun intended). I personally carry just about everywhere here in VA but I have my CHP. I have for almost ten years now. We do have open carry here in VA and I can assure it causes more problems than you can imagine and all it takes is the wrong person to say you "brandished" that big bad gun and then you are looking at defending felony charges.

I am only a supporter of open carry in states that do not allow concealed carry permits. Otherwise if you want to carry, do it concealed (and legally) please.Open carry kind of takes away that element of surprise for criminals as well which leaves you worrying about being disarmed. A lot more responsibility and reverence comes with open carry in my opinion. If you feel you must do it on the 4th to exercise your rights please do so with the right intentions and the right frame of mind.

I also want to say that I can assure you that your local LEO's know the open carry laws and have been trained how to handle any situation that might arise. Also, Wal-Mart is NOT open carry friendly here in VA. Your state may vary but I seriously doubt it.

/soapbox

fabiodriven
04-20-2010, 01:53 PM
I was waiting to see some other responses before I posted and I must say I agree with jeopardy. I carry concealed in Massachusetts and there is no open carry here. I can imagine the problems it would cause to walk around with a gun hanging off your waist. I also like the point he made about the element of surprise for criminals and being disarmed.

oldskool83
04-20-2010, 02:35 PM
a women did it up the street from me a kids soccer game, needless to say it causes a huge stink police were called and everything...fast forwards her husband killed her a few homes up the street from me...that gun never saved her from hebind.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://blog.pennlive.com/midstate_impact/2008/10/large_hain.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2008/10/12-week/&usg=__ia8myzIMV6a8139Hk75Ld520-bQ=&h=297&w=453&sz=80&hl=en&start=10&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=AAuxNYVHq1meIM:&tbnh=83&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlebanon%2Bpa%2Bgun%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den %26tbs%3Disch:1

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://media.pennlive.com/midstate_impact/photo/melanie-hainjpg-f7fd40de6b778139.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2009/10/gun-toting_soccer_mom_is_shot.html&usg=__8SAacsmotwheCiY7IryHrWZcDRA=&h=818&w=1024&sz=235&hl=en&start=3&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=7Z5ej2s3DvjX3M:&tbnh=120&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsoccer%2Bmom%2Bgun%2Bshot%26um%3D1%26 hl%3Den%26tbs%3Disch:1

MagicJames
04-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Being a resident of Michigan (lower not UP), and having many friends that are LEO's and having been a person that hasn't open carried, I will strongly suggest not to do it. There is a small town north of me that had about 20 people come into the town and they were open carrying. Males and females both. I have a CPL ( Concealed Pistol License) and when they came through town and we were sitting outside of one of the bars on thier patio and it made me uncomfortable. One of the guys I was with drew his pistol and had it under the table because we had no idea what they were up to. It almost looked as they were just trying to walk around and prove they were "bad @$$". We called our buddy who is a County Sheriff and asked him what was going on, they had called the county and asked if they could walk through town and go into the shops while they were open carrying. There is no law against it, but as you said if the owner of the building / facility wants you out, No questions asked you better turn around and walk twards the door.
There is also a few things that are blurry, such as if you are open carrying and you get into a car while your pistol is on your person, that is considered concealing it and you can be arrested for that. If you are wearing a chest rig and you cover the pistol up with your arm when you reach for something, you can be arrested for that. If you wear a hip rig and lean against a wall or something and the pistol is covered up by your leg. That is an arrestable offense.
Also, something else is if you are wearing a leg rig or any type of other holster and someone reaches for or grabs your pistol, and anything happens to anyone else because of such an action you are 100% responsible for not having your weapon secure.

On the 4th of July, I wouldn't. You're just asking for trouble and that's all you're gonna find. If you get busted with trying to conceal a weapon you will lose all of your guns, never be able to hunt again, and probably spend 2 - 10 years in prison.

Escanabajosh
04-20-2010, 02:45 PM
a CPL in a bar!

edit: just re-read and seen the out side part, is that still legal? being a bar and all?

Escanabajosh
04-20-2010, 02:46 PM
i get what yas mean, i think i wont be doing it. i like the idea of using my rights on the 4th. i think this is more of a group thing to do anyway.

MagicJames
04-20-2010, 03:19 PM
a CPL in a bar!

edit: just re-read and seen the out side part, is that still legal? being a bar and all?

You can have your pistol in a bar but if more than 50% of the incoming money is from alcohol then you may not carry in the bar. But, honestly, who's gonna do the math on what the bar is making on a saturday afternoon when people are having lunch and drinking beers. Sometimes it's a little mischevious but meh

jeopardy98
04-20-2010, 04:16 PM
As of July 1 here in VA us CHP holders can conceal carry in any bar we want but we cannot drink while doing so. Finally.

TDS
04-20-2010, 04:36 PM
open carry is stupid. its a good way to get people to panic. what would you do if you saw a person walking down the street with a gun; you dont know if hes on his way to shoot someone.

besides if i was a criminal and i was gonna do harm with a gun you would be the first person i would shoot.

if you are looking to "test" the local police with a legal rights BS they are gonna find ways to arrest you or screw with you

Tecate 50
04-20-2010, 04:45 PM
As a law enforcement officer....i can tell you this! A business can also refuse YOUR business, and ask you to leave with no questions asked! Also if you are drinking alcoholic beverages while a carrying your weapon and you have any Police contact, your gun permit and weapon can be confiscated and your permit revoked by the State of Michigan. So check the rules and regulations of your gun permit PRIVILAGES and exercise them! Remember a Police Officer at any time, can make contact with anyone, anywhere and request your identification for any reason! If you choose to test them....then in all reality you can be arrested for Refusal to Identify! Any responsible adult who takes on the responsibilty of carrying a weapon should gladly want to cooperate with any Police Officer, why look for problems that you in the end won't be able to control! Hope this helps, and you exercise good and sound judgements with whatever you decide to do in this matter!

MagicJames
04-20-2010, 05:33 PM
As a law enforcement officer....i can tell you this! A business can also refuse YOUR business, and ask you to leave with no questions asked! Also if you are drinking alcoholic beverages while a carrying your weapon and you have any Police contact, your gun permit and weapon can be confiscated and your permit revoked by the State of Michigan. So check the rules and regulations of your gun permit PRIVILAGES and exercise them! Remember a Police Officer at any time, can make contact with anyone, anywhere and request your identification for any reason! If you choose to test them....then in all reality you can be arrested for Refusal to Identify! Any responsible adult who takes on the responsibilty of carrying a weapon should gladly want to cooperate with any Police Officer, why look for problems that you in the end won't be able to control! Hope this helps, and you exercise good and sound judgements with whatever you decide to do in this matter!

Yes! Don't every try to outsmart a cop. Just because you outsmarted him once, doesn't mean he can't figure out what you did and come back and do what he should have done the first time.

I don't drink when I carry. It's a rule that I have for myself. If I'm carrying a weapon I want to be sharp. No space in my thought process or delayed recation.

Tecate 50
04-20-2010, 05:59 PM
I agree with you MagicJames....I have been on both sides of a gun battle! Let me tell you either way it is no fun, so you gotta stay sharp!

Thorpe
04-20-2010, 06:01 PM
I have to agree with the stated above. The open carry idea is stupid. Foolish as hell. MN is a carry state, but do not need to conceal. I find NO reason to draw un-nessecary/unwanted attention to myself. It also gives responsible people a bad rep. If you want to carry it out in the open, become a cop. (imo)

Tecate 50
04-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Thorpe I agree, I carry them both ways...one way at work obviously, and off duty (concealed)! I would rather be tactical about it, the less people know the better! Then again I'm not looking for unwanted attention! I'm not sure what anyone wants to prove by openly carrying a gun, I would think that person would be more at risk of catching a bullet from a real criminal looking to do someone harm, not to mention most normal people aren't ready to pull that trigger anyway! Anyway these are just my thoughts and opinions.....so I hope readers don't take offense!

Thorpe
04-20-2010, 07:05 PM
MN has kind of a double edged sword kind of deal with that to boot... (beside my opinion of it being foolish) If in MN you have it out in the open and makes people feel uncomfortable, and draws too much attention, you can be charged with brandishing a weapon... Permit or not...

Escanabajosh
04-20-2010, 07:34 PM
in michigan if it comes out of the holster is is brandishing while doing open carry. i just like the idea of being able to do it and flexing your rights. a right not used is a right lost!

hope its okay to post up a site, this is where i was reading on it:
http://www.michiganopencarry.org/

Maico
04-20-2010, 08:04 PM
i just like the idea of being able to do it and flexing your rights. a right not used is a right lost!

hope its okay to post up a site, this is where i was reading on it:
http://www.michiganopencarry.org/

Son....think with your brain and NOT your ego! "Flexing" your rights by having a hog of a hand cannon .500 S&W strapped to your bare chest whilest walking into an establishment of choice is only going to give tha anti's more fuel for their fire. With the POS president that we have now that would like to strip us all of our "right" to keep and bear arms....

No Fuel for the Fire!!

Tecate 50
04-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Flexing your rights? All call it pushing the envelope, good luck!

4cylinders
04-20-2010, 09:03 PM
hey, number one, federal law, 21 to own a handgun. number two, talk to local nra members. this is new mexico, who doesn't carry?

Escanabajosh
04-20-2010, 09:30 PM
sorry guys i seen the guys doing the protest on the news and i liked the idea of it, not planning on doing it.

3Wheel_Gunner
04-22-2010, 01:59 AM
A subject near and dear to my heart (Guns and the 2nd, 3Wheel_Gunner). I have a CHL but OC about 95% of the time (CC at Church, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter dinner with the family, not because they care, but because its formal.) In 4 years of OCing a full size 1911 I have not had a single incident, and have been able to educate a few in the process. I 100% agree with the above posters about not doing it if you are looking for attention, you will not get the kind you are hoping for ;). If you still want to do it, LEARN THE LAWS and be able to educate a defend your position in a clear, calm and rational manor.

3Wheel_Gunner
04-22-2010, 02:02 AM
hey, number one, federal law, 21 to own a handgun. number two, talk to local nra members. this is new mexico, who doesn't carry?

Not in every state to own (21 to purchase handguns and handgun ammo), I can only speak for Montana, but the age to own and possess a handgun is 14 (just cant buy ammo for it).

Vealmonkey
04-22-2010, 10:27 AM
OC at times just seems to be asking for trouble. I do wish more states would adopt better CC laws though. I don't understand why if you can legally purchase a firearm, then why can't you legally CC it. It doesn't really seem to stop the criminals from CC. I think CC laws are a great deterrent. Citizens are not the people that commit the crimes. Citizens are also people that spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on gun registration and taxes on weapons and ammo purchases and for other items for their legal weaponry. I just personally feel that the government doesn't want the citizens armed. There are many famous quotes warning of such things. I spent 6 years defending the country and my country doesn't want me to be able to defend myself???