PDA

View Full Version : bad craiglsist experience

thawktim
04-26-2010, 12:33 AM
http://wausau.craigslist.org/rvs/1702818060.html

So, my fiance has been thinking for a while about getting a little Honda 110 so she can putz around on the trails with me. I taught her how to drive my 185s and she loves it. Anyway, we drove about an 2 hours away to look at this one that the owner swore was in great condition, well infact "mint" condition except fo a dent it the fuel tank. Well we got to the place where the guy wanted to meet us and we had to wait about another hour and a half for him to show up. When he finally showed up he showed us his "mint" 110, we were very dissapointed. The thing wouldn't idle, the exhaust was patched with a tin can, the wheel bearings were all shot, the rear plastic was broken, the paint all scratched to hell, the shifter was all sloppy, the chain gaurd was missing, and the motor mount and grab bar were poorly welded back together. The new tires that he claimed it had on the phone, looked pretty old and about half worn. I should have just told this guy off, but we drove all the way and didn't want to go home empty handed, and so we ended up getting it. To add insult to injury, we were only able to talk the guy down a lousy $25. Now, what really gets me isn't that the thing was in sad shape, its that the guy swore that it was mint, had new tires and like new plastic. He also knew that we were driving a long way for it and should have just been honest with us about its condition. I guess it takes all kinds. Well, looking on the bright side, looks like I have a nice project to keep me busy for a while. She can't wait to take it for a spin.

jrwebb8324
04-26-2010, 12:49 AM
I deal with craigslist alot and i just about won't drive more than 30-45 minutes unless they have a pic of the item. Too many people lie out there anymore. For example, look in the auto section you will see a bunch of cars all have (new) motors in them but when you read on the car has no title. But i can feel your pain, but glad to hear you got the trike. Good luck with it.

cattle-dog
04-26-2010, 08:23 AM
i have drove many hours to find garbage, once i went to buy a 84 250r,i drove 2 hours one way to find a 185 that was so rotted it had a birds nest in the tank!!!!!! now i to get pictures,

rdlsz24
04-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Too bad pics can be deceiving. It does look pretty good in the picture he posted

Rob

thawktim
04-26-2010, 10:45 AM
This one has a picture in the ad, and I'll admit it looks great in it. I probably should have asked for a couple closeups though. It seems that people use the words "mint condition" a little to freely sometimes. Out of all the vehicles, motorcycles, and atvs 20 years and older I'm guessing that probably less than one percent of them are truely in mint condtion. I probably shouldn't complain though, afterall my fiance does have a 3 wheeler now and half the fun of owning this sort of stuff is fixing it up.

ATCeeya
04-26-2010, 01:16 PM
friday i talked to a guy on a trike off CL and he told me how nice it was and how mint the plastics were, and even he was suprised how nice they were for its age, and this that and the other thing..it sounded like a steal so we hurried up and headed over there only to show up and find a rusted out beater with crappy chipped and bent up plastics. It looked much better in pics but those lousy CL pics hide ALOT. Then his weirdo friends showed up and I mean WEIRD! I think the one kid just got done doing heroin. I could barely get it to run on starting fluid. I knew my old lady was uncomfortable so I got us the hell outta there. Atleast it was only a 20 minute drive. Last time I was douped into looking at a trike that was much worse than I was told so I just didnt buy it. I wanted it, but sometimes im too mad with a sellers sugarcoating to hand them over any money and my way of getting even is leaving it in their garage.

oldskool83
04-26-2010, 02:40 PM
i think the work MINT to alot means its still bolted together.

i dont travel too far for toys anymore either, i try to stay with in 25 miles, but i normaly go look at them 1st with like $50 to hold it a week. that way if its not worth my time i only drove far away to eat out some place.

laidout2times
04-26-2010, 07:00 PM
weve all been there. Its definitely a headache.

Ive found my best and worst deals on CL. Ive found NOS oats Htracks for 70 bucks, a very low hour 83R for 1500, a NOS in the box 300R kit for 300. Ive also gotten totally scammed on an 86R and 86KXT though to boot. The misrepresentation/BS can make anyone irate but theres something to be said about the rare stuff you can find on there also.

pipeline triker
04-26-2010, 07:43 PM
i just bought 2 old sleds off of craigslist last week. The guy did not have any pics in the add and was over an hour away, so I told him I was preetty sure I was going to get them but needed pics first. he sent me a couple pics that he said was the 2 of them. My wife and I could both tell that all the pics were of the same machine and none of the other,even though he said they were of both. The one was claimed near mint. Wow that words meaning has changed alot. The one was complete junk and the other was close to it. I bought them anyways for parts but not for what we had agreed on, since they were much worse than he said. i buy and sell alot on Craigs but with anything you have to be wise.

oldtime3wheeler
04-26-2010, 08:20 PM
I like when all the pics are of just one side. You get there to look at it and the other side is trashed. I have found some great trikes on cl though

3wheelmecca
04-26-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm with ya on that, I made sure that I had all info and detailed pictures when I got my R recently. it was a 2 hour drive round trip and wanted to make sure it was worth it. Now i'm building it, glad.

thawktim
04-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Well, its been few days now and I got the 110 running good. I cleaned the carb out good and it was still running just as lousy, but I checked the valve clearance and the intake valve had no clearance and was slightly open at tdc of the compression stoke. So I took care of that and it runs great now and has a noticable increase in compression. I also got lucky and talked to a guy that I sold an identicle 82 110 a six years back and he says that I can have whats left of it for spare parts. I guess things just have a way of working out sometimes.

aldochina
04-27-2010, 01:19 AM
i have found absolutlely killer deals on craigs!! Like my unbelievably mint 85 bigred for 900, nos 85250r axle for 70 bucks.......list definately goes on. I have yet to get duped on a purchase, but one time i went to pick up a window,turned out to be in total getto crackville, i pull up to the adress, theres like 3-4 black dudes on every othe porch around. I knock on the door, this totally cracked out white chick comes out to give me the window. She actually apoligized for me having to come there, cause i had my 2 yr old son with me!! WOW!! My wife laughs at me sometimes!!(not that time though) I have had people stop to her work because I just couldnt find a time that would work for me. lol. I love craigslist.

mopar_man
04-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Sorry to hear that. I have a 90 that I'm trying to sell for less than that that sounds like it's in comparable condition along with some extra parts.