PDA

View Full Version : Id like a fellow mechanics opinion

jimb0
05-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Im looking at buying an 85 yamaha ytm200. The guy broke one of the cyllinder bolts off in the bittom end, and then tried (and failed) to heli coil it. he also broke the studs for the exhaust, and he tried (and failed) to epoxy them back on. He wants 125$ for it, and i can get another engine for 50$. i want to make money on this wheeler, and its feelin like a money pit, but i just thought id get some other opinions. BTW the plastic is almost pristene as well as the seat, the frame is not bent at all, the tires are great, it needs a new chain, tail light, and headlight.

Kerick
05-03-2010, 12:39 AM
I am actually really close to you and saw that post. If I had the money Id pick it up. If I went to look at it and kept finding more and more things wrong than what he said, stay away. It kinda sounds like he "tried" to rig everything up to work. I dont kmnow why someone would glueone of the hottest parts on the enginee but ok. The plastics look really nice, tires were ok. But if you can get a motor for 50 id do it.....

jimb0
05-03-2010, 12:44 AM
yup thats what i was thinking, im just waiting on the guy that said he had an engine for 50, what years are the engines the same? this is a 85 i dont want to buy an engine and find out it dont fit lol

Kerick
05-03-2010, 12:46 AM
Idk about that one...someone on here will knnow for sure though.

code200k
05-03-2010, 02:34 PM
i got a whole bottom end and a cyl for my 200k (83 ytm 200 chain driven) that i will sell

rdlsz24
05-03-2010, 02:58 PM
If the plastics and tires are nice I would probably do it. You can do engine work pretty cheaply but replacing plastic, seats, etc gets pricey and would eat into your potential profit

Rob