PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here do HVAC? Need reliable info

Autophysn
05-07-2010, 01:40 AM
So I bought this house last year, and finally got around to checking the heater in my pool. After a ton of reasearch and found out I fried my valve solenoid, long story--kinda embbarassing, I would like to know more about the millivolt system. Particularly if any millivolt gas valve would work for my furnace? Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

jeswinehart
05-07-2010, 06:01 AM
Yes, if you have a millivolt gas valve now, that is what it will take to replace it.
Couple of things to check before buying is get a valve rated for your BTU of the pool heater. Most all I have seen/worked on are 175K or 250K BTU.
If you have 110 volt operated gas valve now and it needs replacing it might be best/economical to replace with the same since several other components upstream might (probably) not compatible with low voltage.
Another check is to order what type of gas you are using. Natural or L.P. You can get a Natural gas valve that comes with the conversion to make it L.P. but there are some fine tuning to be done using a manometer for efficiency. I would recommend a step opening valve as well for ease of burner lighting and to better start the venting process (if yours is inside a pool house and vented outside that is).

By far the most common problems I run into on pool heaters are the lack of use of them. They tend to sit for long periods of time which allow for corrosion on burners and plugged pilot light ~ simple cleaning to fix.
As well as corrosion on connections.
Pressure switches seem to be a real nuisance in my area as well and can be bypassed to check operation but certainly not recommended to eliminate.
There is also a high temp limit in the water outlet that some times fails thus not allowing circuit completion.
Please check for gas leaks with a soapy water solution and be careful as in stand off to the side when firing it off.
DC, where you at anything to add ???
C'mon, tell us what you did to the pool heater Autophysn, did you put 220 volt to it ???
Your secrete is safe with ALL of us :)

john

Thorpe
05-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Key to HVAC repair... Replace in kind.

Autophysn
05-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Bah hahahahahahaha, sounds like you seen this before, LOL! YUP!!!! my dumb ass put 110v to it.http://forum.thescubasite.com/ashamed/ashamed0003.gif

I am sure you can guess, I am looking at that thing and I am like, dude, this trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro can not be as hard as a carburetor, right? So I talked it.
I already had electrical running to the system, so I fiugured it either ran off 110 or 220. Well, hahahahaha guess I should have edumacated myself prior to getting in to it.

I verified I have the millivolt system. Hell dude, I even was looking to find a way to drop 110 to millivolts to operate the system, mainly because I had no idea what a Thermopile was. After tons of searching and searching. I finally see how the system works and feel confident I can get it working again. I found a dude on ebay who has the valve for $60 used, plenty who have it new and I know I need a new thermopile. My concern is that I supplied 110 to the entire system, so I may have fried my potentiometer, pressure switch and limit switch as well. But, what the hell, I guess there is only one way I have ever learned, by screwing up, LOL!

I really appreciate you chiming in, seems like no one wants to share this info. I greatly appreciate it. I was able to locate resistance values for checking the valve it's self, and how to check the thermopile, I know both are junk. I am assuming the limit switch and the pressure switch would be similar to checking any other type of switch, thru continuity or resitance.

Again, Thanks dude!http://serve.mysmiley.net/characters/character0117.gif

Dirtcrasher
05-07-2010, 10:06 PM
I know it can seem overwhelming, but thats why you have to ask questions or educate yourself beforehand......

Even most techs are "parts changers"

First they change the thermocouple, then the gas valve and in the end it's the burner orifice being plugged or something stupid and EASY to fix if you know how it all works.

Sounds like you've got it figured out. All I will add is that GAS can kill you, blow up etc etc. So you need to be comfortable with pipe fitting, electrical work etc etc.

Like propane, it's heavier than natural gas and uses different size orifices. I've seen techs baffled as to why the new equipment won't work :lol:

I don't want to scare you, just educate you. Some people shouldn't touch a faucet, let alone a gas valve on a forced hot air gas fired furnace.....................

My boss never would buy us a "millivolt" meter; He'd just have the guys change parts until it was fixed. Hence the reason I never billed anyone, I made him do it. I didn't think it was fair for the customer to absorb the techs lack of knowledge! OR proper tools! I'd tell him "STOP TAKING SERVICE CALLS OR SET ME UP PROPERLY!!" Needless to say, he never liked my point of view but I don't like RIPPING PEOPLE OFF!

Let us know how you make out!

Autophysn
05-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks DC!
Yeah, it doesn't scare me, any of it, electrical, gas, plumbing, whatever. I am just the type of guy who needs to know exactly how things work, and like you say, edumacating yourself is key! Thank God for the internet. We take for granite how much info we all have just laying at our feet. Thanks to guys like ourselves, the willing and sharing info kind. We can help each other. I am a heavy truck mechanic, worked with cars and forklifts for a many number of years as well. Had my fair share of propane experience as well, LOL! I just want it to work correctly. Short of bypassing all the stuff and just running gas to it, LOL!

I think I am going to go buy a solar blanket right now, cause I am having a sort of hard time locating the valve. One dude just pissed me off. I was working out a deal with him, and the clock ran outon the ebay auction. I told him to contact me before he relist, to avoid fees on his end and just send me an invoice thru paypal, and he goes and relists it for more money. trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro, I would have bought it too, but now the margin of savings is nominal compared to new, so duh. Why take the chance right?

Anyway, you guys are always great! It is why I love spending my time here. I will let you guys know how it turns out ;)

jeswinehart
05-07-2010, 11:24 PM
You will save a bunch of money in the long run (like 1 season) using a good solar cover.
But in the mean time call 1-899-334-5886 (controls inc.) and request a catalog.
Use your company's name since they are whole sale only.
Tell them you heard thru your propane Internet buddy they have a great, easy to read catalog and a awesome 5 in 1 screw drivers for new accounts.
I will pm you the rest of the key words you will need to use,,,

john

Thorpe
05-07-2010, 11:39 PM
My transformer petered out on my furnace a few years back... Picked up a replacement from Grainger, popped it out of the box and thought, man this is gonna be simple to wore in! Color match, flip the switch, and wtf? Nothing works... After a half an hour, I break down, read the directions and oops! Multi input tranformer! Wired it in wrong of course. Wired it in correctly, flipped the switch and my a/c was blowing cold again! (good thing to, it was a 90 degree day) Left home and did some errands, back a few hours later and its 66 in my house. A/C wouldnt shut off now! My little wiring mishap let the smoke out of my t-stat! Oops. Live and learn.

jeswinehart
05-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Lmao ! Yep, they only put so much smoke in parts from the factory and when it escapes, time for a new part.

:)