PDA

View Full Version : Looking to build a trailer to tow behind my ATC. Any suggestions on design of it?

86trizinger
05-07-2010, 11:20 PM
I am getting ready to build a little trailer to tow behind my 200s. Looking to do some yard word as well maybe pull my nephews around through the trails. Does any one have any good suggestions for the design of it.

Here's what I have already:

22x9-10 atv tires and wheels 4x4" lug pattern
Trailer hubs. Axles stubs on the way.
Jeep wrangler tumble rear seat.

I am looking for some photo's or ideas of things people have done.

I have a welder and a tubing bender but need some ideas for the design. Please give input.

hublake
05-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Here is a couple I have made to tow behing my BR. Both have the same wheel width as the BR as I use them in the woods to haul fire wood. I made the one to haul long pieces of wood with the front end from a golf cart.

86trizinger
05-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Does dual axle one work good? I thought about doing that but I could only get 3 of the tires on sale. I paid $30 for 3 brand new ATV style tires with wheels . Just need one more but no one stocks them.

atvnut
05-10-2010, 03:57 PM
How about a 3 wheeled {Trike Of A Trailer}

SWIGIN
05-10-2010, 04:33 PM
I would just look at a lawn mower trailer/wagon and kinda copy that.

300rman
05-10-2010, 04:41 PM
if you ride through tighter areas, make it the same width as the trike or a hair narrower.

hublake
05-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Does dual axle one work good? I thought about doing that but I could only get 3 of the tires on sale. I paid $30 for 3 brand new ATV style tires with wheels . Just need one more but no one stocks them.

I think it works real good. I have the same size tires on it as are on the big red. A couple of slow leaks but work fine. I sometimes cut my firewood up in 68'' lengths and then haul it down to my wood pile and then cut it up. I can haul more in that than the other one. I was using my recon in the two pictures. Only a 2 wheel drive but did the trick for me. A couple of pictures. You could but a bed and sides on it and use it for other things.

86trizinger
05-10-2010, 07:51 PM
That design looks like it works really wheel with some weight on it. My lawn tractor trailer doesn't work that well.. Anything more than 100 lbs its gets hard to tow. Getting ready to start this in 2 weeks.

TheRealFatShady
05-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Wow those all look real good!

I have a spare, rusty 200s frame. I needed most parts on it, but It rolls. I've been thinking of using that, or at least the back half of it, and making a tilt trailer. Will be same width as my better 200s, same tires (Wish I had one with suspension, plan on riding through woods with it) so same ground clearance.

Seems pretty straightforward.

86trizinger
05-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Yeah I will start out with my project nice and easy.. But I have a seat that's going to have a quick release just like the jeep fold and tumble seat.. That way I can ride my nephews around the farm behind me since they aren't allowed to ride on a bike of their own.

MorganHonda200!
05-10-2010, 09:13 PM
I would build a steel frame with bolt on ply-wood sides and bootom. Angle iron would work great

We made one that way works good also has a pull up end gate. piece of plywood that slides in and out

86trizinger
05-10-2010, 09:33 PM
I have a tubing bender and a bunch of 1" box tubing.. Plus some round tubing as well. Its pretty light and strong. I really don't want wood on it, I want it to be maintenance free other then wheel bearings and a hose to squirt it down.

The Goat
05-15-2010, 03:34 PM
V shape the axles to where it looks like it has independent suspension. Great for hauling in the woods.

dickieg89
05-15-2010, 03:48 PM
I guess I'm lazy. I bought one of those 3 cubic foot trailors from farm and fleet for $80 and it's plenty for the amount of land that I have.

The Goat
05-15-2010, 04:04 PM
those wear out.... pretty quickly. and when both wheels fly off at 40 mph with a trailer full of wood, it's an experience.

SYKO
05-16-2010, 08:28 AM
goto harbour freight tools and get one of the small tow behinds that you add sides and floor 2 for less then 200 with the 12 inch wheels if you tried building it yourself it would cost twice that amount, we got one that carries a 500 gal deisel tank on it and its still good after many years.