PDA

View Full Version : Any milwrights out there?

Greiver430x
05-08-2010, 02:05 AM
I was just curious just to see if anyone was in the trade, as I am an aspiring milwright. Still taking classes and such so im still a helper at the moment. I have taken Bearings and seals, Drives and couplings, Basic stick as well as overhead verticle and horizontal welding. Also have taken an introductory bosch-rexroth hydraulics cousre, tig welding, industrial rigging, and am finishing up my first machining course. Just curious to see what classes and experience anyone would have, as well as if your an in house milwright or journey man. Just curious post it up lol....:cool:

Dirtcrasher
05-08-2010, 11:09 PM
What does a milwright do aside from what your learning now? I'm sure it's good money though!

Greiver430x
05-08-2010, 11:17 PM
They pretty much have to be pretty good at everything, machine alignment, carpentry, masonry, pipe fitting, I like it because I learn something new everyday. Its also cool doin something different everyday. Ill have to post some pics of my job tomorrow so you guys can see some of the things we do, I was hoping someone on here was in a similar line of work to here some good pointers ya know. Only thing that sucks is that im out because of my back problems so im going to miss my mig welding course and my pump course. kinda sucks im losing a 30 cent raise because of that but oh well such is life lol.

smokinwrench
05-09-2010, 01:49 AM
We just had an outage at our power plant and had several milwrights on sight along with boilermakers and pipefitters. The milwrights helped with about everything, the 2 guys that come out all the time for emergency work I have gotten to know fairly well. They help with everything, scafolding, pipe fitting, flat welding, etc. I know they do motor/ gearbox alignments and other plants, we do all of our own here. I would say say after talking to them a bunch, we are classified as mechanics here and I would say we are more milwrights.

Greiver430x
05-09-2010, 02:02 PM
IMO milwrights are more rounded being able to everything, as mechanics work on fixing mecahanical issues they are very similar though.

Dirtcrasher
05-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Sounds like a job I could do pretty well........

I LOVE a challenge, I just hate the B/S that comes along with it most times.

Oh yeah, and I hate stupid people (usually relatives) in positions of power. If your telling me what to do, you had better know more than I do :lol:

SWIGIN
05-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Kinda reminds me of the old saying,

Jack of all trades.....Master of none....lol

That being said, it sounds like a fun job.

Greiver430x
05-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Kinda reminds me of the old saying,

Jack of all trades.....Master of none....lol

That being said, it sounds like a fun job.

Exactly right, I dont consider my self near the skill level of a TRUE milwright however I have met some that come to help us out on big shut downs and are jack of all trades and master of them all. Some of these guys are the most talanted people I have ever met and from what I here thier pay reflects that fact. I posted some pics from around the mill of jobs and areas i have worked in. The first one is the backside of our dryer section, this was right after a 24 and a half hour shift. We had to replace about half of all of our teflon gear teeth after one broke and the pieces worked themselves down the line and took the others with them. The second one is the front side of the same dryers, I was working with some guys rigging some of the small felt folls in and out of the dryer cans. This can be a pain because there isnt much room and that blue dryer felt rips easy if you catch it. The dryers are usually between 150-350 degrees when we first go in so ya gotta be careful lol. Third picture is ust a shot from our waste water treatment plant, the creek was pretty high that day lol. fourth one is a shot from ontop of a rental boiler that we had this winter when ours lost a couple of tubes. I had to climb around on it and insulate all of the pipes Because they kept freezing lol. The last one is the Octopus from our number two former, We had to pull the lid and change the diapjram in it. Its used to keep the paper stock even across the sheet when its being made. cool stuff huh?

Greiver430x
05-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Im not sure why they got put up twice lol

honda250sx
05-13-2010, 12:23 AM
Just caught this thread. I am a journeyman machine repairman. But I also do machining. I mostly work on CNC machines however my heart is in big old mechanical manual machines. I like the CNC as I see technologies grow and change daily. We do it all were I work as well. We are the pipefitter, tinsmith, machinist, hydraulic guru, pneumatics genious, welder, rigger, etc. Its awesome work. I'd trade it for...nothing...

Greiver430x
05-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Awesome dude im sure im not antwhere near your skill level yet lol, but im workin on it. Im glad to see someone who enjoys the field as well Awesome.