PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of an easy way to strip clearcoat from mags?

Woodsrider
05-11-2010, 07:33 PM
I want to clean up a set of mags for my Z-71. They are the factory mags and the clearcoat is gone in quite a few places leaving the aluminum crappy looking in those spots. I would like to remove the clearcoat and polish the wheels up a little (so they look uniform) and then put new clearcoat. I don't want to spend much money on this...I hope to be getting a newer one this summer...I just want it to look better. Is there any kind of paint stripper that will work...or brake fluid...??? I still have my winter tires/mags on and I have not yet installed the summer tires on these mags(I just got them), so I will not be working around tires...if that makes any difference. Any tips/tricks appreciated.

Thorpe
05-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Aircraft stripper...

Woodsrider
05-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Aircraft stripper...

Where do you get that in the States....just so I can try to imagine where I might find that up here...I'm guessing I can't get this at Napa.

jb2wheels
05-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Home Depot. It's just paint stripper. Works great. Skip the new clear coat.

This is a common problem on old aluminum parts like case covers and fork sliders on older motorcycles. Once you strip the clear coat, you spend a little elbow grease and compound to polish them the first time. Then, you can touch them up with some mag polish and a Powerball once in a while.

Woodsrider
05-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Cool...thanks...I was kind of thinking that putting another clear coat might be a bad idea...unless I was willing to spend the money on clear powder coating...which I'm not.

Thorpe
05-12-2010, 11:07 PM
You may be able to get aircraft stripper at napa... I think thats the brand, not just for airplanes! You Canadians have Ace Harware? Home Depot?

NotStock
05-13-2010, 04:55 AM
Home depot sells Poly Stripa, works pretty good. Just dont get on your skin.

Woodsrider
05-13-2010, 02:02 PM
I found some spray on paint stripper at Canadian Tire and it works great...it just lifted the clear coat right off. I'm just about finished polishing them up right now.

250x
05-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Walmart carries a Airplane related stripper. Aerosol even. At least the one here in Batavia has it.