PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you had problems with ceramicoating?

LonesomeTriZ
05-13-2010, 10:03 PM
I had the turbo on my Powerstroke ceramicoated about four years ago. During that time my truck has had a lot of down time. Mostly because I have been out of the county. So I really have not put a lot of miles on it since the turbo was done. I am not sure when the rust started coming through again, but now it has a mixture of dull ceramicoating And rust and just looks like crap. I was thinking about having the exhaust manifolds and the pipes leading to the turbo done as well. I would really like to address the last few details in my engine compartment. I would also like to have the expansion chambers on my ATV’s Ceramicoated also. But if ceramicoating has such a short life span it is a waste of damn money. Is this a rare case? Did the guy maybe do it wrong or too light? I would like to learn more before I decide to leave the rusty manifolds like they are.

300rman
05-14-2010, 12:44 AM
idk who you had it done by, but JET-HOT does excellent work for exhausts and stuff. friend of mine had some headers done by them 10+ years ago, and they still look awesome.

LonesomeTriZ
05-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Are they a mail order place?

Thorpe
05-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Jet hot is in AZ I believe... They do nice work. We had a local shop doing ceramic coating for us, and had a bit off an issue when they would polish the parts down too far, and then in a few years start seeing rust....

http://www.jet-hot.com/

LonesomeTriZ
05-14-2010, 11:42 AM
I looked them up. But they are no where near me. As a matter of fact, there are no ceramicoaters at all near me.

Thorpe
05-16-2010, 10:06 PM
We would box the parts and ship them... Whole exhaust systems, long tube header and all...

LonesomeTriZ
05-17-2010, 09:43 AM
When I get ready to make a move, I was going to call Jet Hot and find out about that. I am worreid about shipping becuase they can easily get chipped during the process. Then I am back to where I began.

Thorpe
05-17-2010, 11:50 AM
They do a good job of packing them up... We never had a problem with Jet Hot and their packaging. UPS on the other hand.... They trashed 2 tailpipes for us once... How I have no idea... But at least they were raw, on their way to being coated.... UPS insurance... And alot of it...

LonesomeTriZ
05-17-2010, 12:01 PM
That is what worries me. I am sure Jet Hot will pack them fine. It is the shipper that is the problem. Plus, these parts are freaking heavy. I am not so worried about my ATV stuff though.

Thorpe
05-17-2010, 12:29 PM
FedEx maybe?

LonesomeTriZ
05-17-2010, 12:31 PM
They are just as bad. Either way, the problem will be the shipper. So I will have to see what Jet Hot will warrenty. I will also have to see if insuring it through the shipper will cover damage to the coating itself.

Thorpe
05-17-2010, 01:29 PM
The ups shipping will... They just shelled out $800 to us for the 2 damaged tailpipes... (custom 3" mandrel bent exhaust for a SBC in a 1958 Morris Minor prostreet...)

LonesomeTriZ
05-17-2010, 04:27 PM
I guess I need to egt it all pulled off and get a shipping quote with insurance then.