09-03-2003, 10:07 PM
Quad C 2 Stroke
1 Rodney Covey 777C HON 1:50:03 4 50 5
2 Carey Frick 21C YAM 1:57:58 4 47 3
3 Thurman Carter 30C YAM 1:31:53 3 45 2
4 William Golightly 22C HON 0:25:55 1 11 2
5 lance shank 789C HON 0:28:11 1 10 1
Josh Putnal 6C YAM DNF 0 0 0

I'm friggen stoked! I figured out First places aver lap time and it was around 27 minutes, my single lap was 25. So my single lap was 2 minutes faster then first places average lap. Man if my arm pump wouldn't have gotten so bad I coulda done really well! http://floridatrailriders.org/Hare/04hs01.htm

I gotta get off my ass and start going to some more of these things, if I did that well on my first race in those bad of conditions, I could maybe be doing pretty good if I worked on stuff a little bit. w00t for me!

SpeedBump
09-04-2003, 12:24 AM
I'm friggen stoked! I figured out First places aver lap time and it was around 27 minutes, my single lap was 25. So my single lap was 2 minutes faster then first places average lap. Man if my arm pump wouldn't have gotten so bad I coulda done really well!

That is the trick, eh? Keeping up the pace lap after lap!!!! Keep at it, gets easier the more ya work at it. BTW Were you able to run a 3wheeler? and why did you only run one lap?

TimSr
09-04-2003, 08:52 AM
Sounds like youve been bitten by the bug, since youre already talking about "next time"!

Lots of things help manage arm pump, but the only real solution is conditioning. By the way, your best practice machine is the trike, which gives you twice the workout on the same course.
The only other advice I would give is in order to save your arms, back off a little bit in the first lap. I dont know anybody who can run a whole harescramble flat out, and the strategy that works best for me is to start out at a pace I can maintain through the whole race. Youve probably seen that what appears to be slow in the first lap is actaully quite fast by the third lap!

Congratulations on your finish, and Im glad you enjoyed it. Im also glad you are looking forward to your next one.

Billy Golightly
09-04-2003, 03:24 PM
That is the trick, eh? Keeping up the pace lap after lap!!!! Keep at it, gets easier the more ya work at it. BTW Were you able to run a 3wheeler? and why did you only run one lap?

The "race report" I did up is here http://3wheelerworldforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=12083 down the page some.

TimSr: I'm already cutting some new trails around my house hehe. Honestly though, at this particular one I was at, I think a trike woulda done alot better mainly do to the size and turning radius differences. I'm gonna try to get a twist throttle and see how much that helps. Definetly just gonna have to start riding more though. Gotta cut some new trails and stuff, I've just wore my existing ones out. And by wearing out I mean their not wore wore out, but I'm wore out of riding on them. Almost everyday for the past 5-6 years will do that I guess.

ATC crazy
09-04-2003, 05:21 PM
w00t for me!

Woooooot Woooooot Wooooooooooooooot

Thats awesome Billy....keep at it and you will be a champion in no time. :-P

Kilborg
09-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Im probably not the best guy to give you tips, since I haven't run more then 10 harescrambles in my life, but here are a few....

Do lots of work. Anything, weight lifting, throwing logs or hay or whatever, etc. Build up your stamina, and burn off as much fat as you can and get some nice beefy m00skle mass. The more stamina you have, means that much more you can go without problems like arm pump (like you mentioned). I never got much arm pump myself since I'v always done a decent amount of heavy lifting. I always had a sore lower back and neck. So I try to work those areas as much as I can. It will get tedious, but believe me it can help. Any advantage you can get on a racetrack gives you just that, and in a harescramble (or most other forms of racing) your gonna need a good deal of stamina. One of my basic goals in my races was to go as hard as I could all the way without being slowed due to fatigue. It took me alot of hard riding and working out to get to the point I am now. I can do a pretty good majority of the race pretty much flat out, then only backing off when I seriously needed to. You pay for it after the race, but that just tells you that the training you do needs to be harder. I'm not to the point (maybe 3/4 of the way there), but I think with enough "time to pump j00 up" nonsense its possible to be able to run a full harescramble without getting fatigued. I haven't seen anyone that could yet, but almost anything is possible.

Ride as hard as possible at all times, especially in tight stuff. Its alot different riding alone, so try to recruit some of your buddies for your "practice" sessions. Don't tell them anything about your regimen, just make it a habit of being able to weasel through a crowd as quick and safe as possible.

Any weakness that you find about yourself or that is pointed out by other, more experienced riders you want to take a serious look at. When I was fooling around with motocross me and my father we out at a practice one day. My father used to be a pretty good racer in the 70's when he was younger, so he always helped me out (though he takes a much more conservative approach to racing, whereas I'm much more bullheaded and have a bit much of a balls to the wall attitude). Since he rode alot in the 70's, he knew some of the now legendary riders. At this particular practice (for whatever reason I can't remember), there was this guy named Roger Decoster. I knew the name and knew he rode alot, but both him and my father recognized each other. They shot the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro and stuff while and watched me while I was out on the track turning some hotlaps against a few other guys. I was always a pretty fast rider, but the two old knuckleheads got to talking with me and after most of the guys were done doing hotlaps they got out on the track with me. Roger told me I was going into the corners with too much power, and I would always break traction and lose more speed then needed because I did alot of roosting and sliding. Anyway, I got alota tips on how to slingshot through corners alot better. I was turning as much as 10 second faster laptimes the same night.... Just goes to show you that taking advice can really help. I dont know about you, but I am really a "do it my own way" kinda person, and I was never one to listen very much to what others tried telling me. Now that I'm getting a little older and stuff it all comes to light the reason the advice was there (from people who should be giving it...don't listen to fools!).

Jeb
09-05-2003, 09:24 AM
...Since he rode alot in the 70's, he knew some of the now legendary riders. At this particular practice (for whatever reason I can't remember), there was this guy named Roger Decoster. I knew the name and knew he rode alot, but both him and my father recognized each other...

Great Story Blaze! You got advice from a legendary MX-er!