PDA

View Full Version : need help diagnosing yamaha dt400 1978 problem

portland250r
05-22-2010, 11:36 PM
my friend bought this dirt bike a while back by some guy who didnt know crap about it he said it is a yz400 2 stroke
the bike is a 1978 dt400 e 2 stroke by yamaha
my problem is how much compression is this bike supposed to have cause it wont even blow my thumb out of the sleeve and i dont know if that trick works on the 1st gen dirtbikes.
it ran okay and didnt have the throttle adjustment screw and after a while of riding it just died so i took it back to the shop and checked the spark and it had spark then i bought a new spark plug and it backfired quite a bit but still would not start and the carb leaks gas out for some reason i checked the carb and everything looks normal the problem is the fuel is coming out the drain tube very fast.
my friend bought the throttle adjustment screw and spring and o ring but it was pointless and ordered before the bike gave us problems. then theres the compression release cable that is on the cylinder i dont know crap about that let alone working on these old school dirt bikes.
my biggest worry is the possibility of low compression cause i dont know if the kicker on that bike is supposed to be that easy to kick and its always been like that and ran fine.
does anyone have a shop manual for this bike?
i really need help.