PDA

View Full Version : ideas on building a vintage camper/toybox

cattle-dog
05-23-2010, 08:24 AM
well since i see some traveling to ride and possibly some camping involved, i was tossing around the idea of taking a 14 foot vintage camper and cutting the back open for a fold down ramp.
it would have to be one with a bed in the back so it can be removed, that would leave space for two trikes and still have the front camper area with the table/bed and kitchen,
there is one camper that has a flat back wall which would be easy to remove and install a door/ramp and still have it seal properly. i think i could do the conversion in a weekend and have a cool toybox, right now i lift my trikes into my 3/4 ton ford by hand.
any ideas or leads on some reasonable campers woud be great. cattle-dog

atc350xer
05-23-2010, 09:11 AM
I know a guy who put two folding bunks in the back... they flip up to pull in the toys, then flip down at bedtime. Chains bolted to the outer corners of the bed and the walls hold them in place.... nice setup. I have seen factory toy haulers on CL, and they are EXPENSIVE!

dickieg89
05-23-2010, 09:44 AM
There are used truck campers all the time on CL. If I had a full size truck I'd go that route and a small trailor. The real factory toy haulers, you may as well live in it bc they are that expensive.

86trizinger
05-24-2010, 08:43 PM
I have a boat trailer for a 19ft boat with no title. I thought about doing something similar, but just using a small camper up front on the trailer with room on the back for 4 atc's

cattle-dog
05-24-2010, 09:28 PM
i have seen something simular to what you are talking about with a camper on the front of the trailer, i really like the idea of my trikes being inside safe and gives a little shop area if one breaks down.

250x
06-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Don, I have wanted to do this same thing, but more universal, half camper, part crapper, and the rest motorcycle/atv enclosed. I had a 12' OLD OLD OLD camper given to me, but i need to get an axle under it to move it.

1grindking
06-09-2010, 11:57 PM
my bro did it to an old camper & it wrked gr8 pm me for his # if ya want to ask any questions... it turned out real profecinal lookin for as old as that camper is lol

Bryan Raffa
06-10-2010, 07:18 AM
the Freaks made a skud... cut a big hole in the side,,, and made a door... the put like 50 trikes in there..:lol:

Vealmonkey
06-10-2010, 10:25 AM
You could always take something like a vintage airstream and seperate the rear of it and make your self some type of hinge system. There is nothing like an airstream for camping in style. Mirror polish the outside and convert the inside to all modern stuff- in like flynn! I've been toying with the idea of picking up an old airstream bambi and gutting the inside and tricking it out. People have made some really nice conversions with modern equipment.

86trizinger
06-10-2010, 10:32 AM
I finally talked my wife into possbily getting an airstream to redo.. but they aren't cheap to fix.

cattle-dog
06-18-2010, 11:20 PM
oh yes i to would love a airstream, i only want around 14ft

hang&rattle
06-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Depends on where you are, but an old 4-horse trailer. Plexi-glass the openings. Porta-potty. Fold down bunks. Camp shower. Can be easily insulalated. And are built more sturdy than campers & lower to the ground. Also, a small 4-horse horse trailer with a rounded front end, tows so nice & smoothly, even an underpowered p.u. can jerk it down the road. A decent one can be picked up for about $500-$1500 bucks.