PDA

View Full Version : Atv fatality

haggard 2hundie
05-23-2010, 10:44 PM
just read this in the quad city times , and thought i would share it
a 25 yr old man was killed when he hit a deer with his atv while driving on a county road in the dark , im sure he had a headlight and my heart goes out to his friends and family but we ( as off road enthusiasts) need to be more careful and not give the cspc any ammo. this is a tragic loss that could have very easily been avoided . stay off the roads on OFF road vehicles these kinds of deaths , i believe was the downfall of the trike
i know its an " all terain vehicle " but come on. common sence is sure in short supply. these days.

haggard 2hundie
05-23-2010, 10:49 PM
this makes me wonder .... how many people have been killed on 4 wheeled ATV's since the concent decree , compared to the number killed on 3 wheeled ATC's before the decree or even combine the two , deaths on trikes before and after the ban i wonder wich is the larger number ?

haggard 2hundie
05-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Im not trying to be all holier than thou , i realize it could have just as easily hapened to myself or any one of us here. lets just all be careful and live to ride another day.

350Xccelerator
05-23-2010, 10:57 PM
4 wheelers. Way more people own and ride them.

haggard 2hundie
05-23-2010, 11:01 PM
i know a girl who had to have her leg amputated after a 4 wheeler crash people are just too confident on them and think they are invincible

factoryX
05-24-2010, 12:27 AM
okay of course this thread is going to point towards quads, there's more of them and more riders than there where for trikes.

Xpress
05-24-2010, 01:16 AM
I haven't heard of anyone related to me, even remotely that was killed on a trike. Neither have a couple of my friends who ride trikes. Stuff we've heard was mostly related to quads and 2 wheelers. Not sure if that deals with them being more popular, but I do often see three wheelers on my outings.

UlsterATCFan
05-24-2010, 06:18 AM
Seems an odd topic for a poll, surely in this case its possible to obtain actual figures?! Don't have time to look it up now but there will be many more fatalities on quads than trikes simply because of the limited production run trikes had and the sheer number of quads that are out there

250x
05-24-2010, 08:02 AM
I think if you matched the number or used 3 wheelers and atv's being used, i think the numbers would fall in favor of injury on trikes. The number of deaths/injuries on these machines shouldn't be classified towards just atv/atc, but rather the ages of those injured. Most injured are inexperienced, younger riders who haven't fully gained the aspect of safe riding. Accidents do happen, but serious accidents fall towards those who ride inappropriately or careless, and with not much experience. (These are my opinions only, accuracy may be limited, or may be very accurate)

WIkid500
05-24-2010, 09:17 AM
I don't understand how and why you say STAY OFF the roads with atv's??? The trails around northern Wisconsin often run public roads to get through town or back into town once the trail ends. Sorry to hear about this guy's loss. Sometimes it's just impossible to avoid riding roads.

Escanabajosh
05-24-2010, 10:07 AM
just last weekend a 2 year old was killed by a 4 wheeler landing on her, i guess the dad was pulling it into the garage and it "somehow" flipped over crushing the kid. then just this morning on the news a 59 year old was going to fast and hit a driveway...dead. thats 2 deaths in less then a week, and the UP has very small towns. this was all in delta county, and i think all in escanaba!

i do remember last year hearing a 3wheeler death about a hour from me....speed and not knowing what they were doing caused that one.

as for the on road off road.....around here ya can go 35 or 3rd gear on (most) any side road, i bet that kid was going 2x that when he hit the deer.

rdlsz24
05-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Haggard I heard that on the news this morning. Happened not too far from here

Rob

Thorpe
05-24-2010, 03:29 PM
4 wheeler to 3 wheeler ratio.... gotta be more quad deaths...

RIDE-RED 250r
05-24-2010, 10:02 PM
one other thing to think about.....nowadays, many people opt for the big, 4wd utility models that are MUCH heavier than the quads and trikes from back in the day. not to mention MUCH more powerful than the utility/4wd quads from yesteryear. quite a few of the quad accidents i hear about involve rollover. if i roll my 300lb trike, yeah its gonna hurt a bit, but my chances of flopping her back on her wheels and riding away are i think much higher than if i rolled a 700lb King Quad or similar machine onto myself. its practically like rolling a tractor! the rider input in tricky situations doesnt have as much effect to keep it on its wheels to begin with, and when it does go over, you are along for the ride like a flea on a dogs rear-end...... just another aspect to consider.....

southtexas250r
05-24-2010, 10:15 PM
i am a profesional fireman and em and ive been to many atv incidents and dirtbikes incidents over my years of workign there no deaths but some near deaths... no matter who you are how old how long you have ridden.... its simple PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS.... thats the biggest problem when theres a incident somone wasnt paying attention... ive had some incidents myself.... i got thrown off of my rhino 700 a few weeks ago by a friend that had to much to drink... my back is still sore most road rash is gone but its the fact that i could have lost my career or even worse life... im a newly wed and im tryign to start a family.. people just need to use your heads....

jonathandexter
05-25-2010, 01:47 AM
I got killed on my Trike. BUT, the emergency room saved me... Still got the pics. 9 broken ribs bled out internally. AND Still riding!!!

squirrel1182
05-27-2010, 11:06 PM
4 wheelers defiantly have more deaths. Heck Ive had my old Honda 200sx quad on its side countless times and only completely flipped it once. On 3 wheelers which Ive been riding a bit more than quads Ive never had it on 2 wheels unless i was messing around in the yard.