PDA

View Full Version : 83 250r the plan

JohnnyBeGood
05-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Ok so I just bought an 83 250r for 100 bucks but the top end is off the motor. I'm new to modifying atc's and 4 wheelers I've always just riden them. My plan is to bore it 0.40 over stick a weisco piston in it boyesen carbon reads and full dg exhaust and a carb off an 85/86 250r and a uni filter and of course w.e jetting nessecary. How does this combo sound? Think it'll run hard? Oh and some 400ex rear hubs for alittle more sliding stability. What y'all think?

jeddy
05-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Sounds good. I would try and get the flatslide carb ('86) if you're set on putting a different carb on it. Otherwise I'd just run the stock carb if you already have it. You should probably take a good look at the crank bearings while it's apart, and you should throw some new crank seals in it also to be safe. On my banshee powered Tri-Z I used the carbon reeds that are closer to $40 range rather than the more expensive pro ones that are closer to $100, and I'm really happy with them.
-Jed

nitrodude81r
05-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Ok so I just bought an 83 250r for 100 bucks but the top end is off the motor. I'm new to modifying atc's and 4 wheelers I've always just riden them. My plan is to bore it 0.40 over stick a weisco piston in it boyesen carbon reads and full dg exhaust and a carb off an 85/86 250r and a uni filter and of course w.e jetting nessecary. How does this combo sound? Think it'll run hard? Oh and some 400ex rear hubs for alittle more sliding stability. What y'all think?

I have a flatslide carb, UNI filter and DG exhaust on mine and it makes a HUGE difference. You better hang on :lol:

JohnnyBeGood
05-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Awsome that's what I want to hear. And us I was planning on replacing all the bearings and seals on the entire bike. It's been garage kept but it's been sitting for like 5 years in pieces so I'm sure all the bearings are trashed. Nitrodude you were sort of my inspiration for the build. Lol. I know it won't be as fast as a equally modded 3rd gen but I still think it'll run like a raped ape.

nitrodude81r
05-26-2010, 06:28 PM
You may just wanna check the bearings and seals first, they may still be good. Mine sat outside for many years before I got it. There was moss growing on the seat :lol: Anyways, the day I got it (at least 2 years ago), I cleaned the carb, put some new gas in it, and its been running ever since with out any problems. Just my opinion though. Good luck with your build, cant wait to see this one! :)

oldtoys72
06-03-2010, 04:20 PM
I just picked up a 83 fooler myself and was thinking of doing those exact things minus any boring. What kind of increase in power can we expect after these upgrades?

nitrodude81r
06-03-2010, 06:40 PM
It feels like a totally different machine. If you go with the DG pipe you will gain alot of top end pull. You will also get better throttle response and just better power all around. I can easily pull 5th gear wheelies with a 13-38 sprocket ratio. It will sound more pingy like a racing 2-stroke. The first time I took it out after getting it jetted with the mods I was very suprised with how much it had increased the power.