PDA

View Full Version : Complete b.s.

JohnnyBeGood
06-10-2010, 11:53 PM
I'm sorry but I feel a sudden need to vent. I just watched a two part video from a 60 minute T.V. show episode from the 80's concerning the "outlawing" of ATC's. This to me is the most rediculous thing I have ever seen and pisses me off more than my ex girlfriend. How can these people say that the manufacturers are responsible and their product is "unsafe"!?!?!? "My son flipped one and got hurt blah blah blah". Well maybe if your son wouldn't have been doing something stupid on the damn thing he wouldn't have gotten hurt. How can it "be the machine's fault". Thats like saying because 250,000 teens die in car accidents each year(which is alot more than the amount from ATC accidents from 74-87) we're going to 'ban' cars. I wanted to slap the congressman in his the mouth! Listen a$$ho1e if you don't think the thing is safe than don't buy one! Do people really get their rocks off ruining something that is special to so many others just because they don't understand it? Sounds an awful lot like communism to me. I wasn't alive in the 80's which may be a good thing because I would've raised hell. I would've gotten thousands of lovers of the sport of three wheeling together and brought something to the table. I've never been so upset over something that happened before I was born but this has certainly done it. :mad:

heres the links to the video's if anyone else wanted to see this B.S.

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS1xIIHFS2M
Part2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwTRxHceP28

SWIGIN
06-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Welcome to 25 years ago.........

JohnnyBeGood
06-11-2010, 12:08 AM
Its bull. I'd like to get a group of guys with different fab talents together and all of us put some blood sweat and tears into designing and building a 3w and see if the market could ever be brought back. I think the real reason the manufacturers never started remaking them is cause they didn't want to have to deal with all the B.S. stupid ignorant people pushing rediculous absurd statements in their faces.

1grindking
06-11-2010, 09:02 PM
i was pretty young in the 80s but rember hearin all the ban crap on the news & stuff but never thought much about it cuz we had mini bikes motorcycles , lawn mower gocart, guns & all sorts of stuff to do to hurt ourselves & even thow it would be cool to see what would have become of the sport it just evolved in to 4whlrs wich is safer for alot of the idiots out there

300rman
06-11-2010, 09:18 PM
welcome to the age of no personal Accountability....

Dirtcrasher
06-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Thank you for posting those Vidz!! :D

I watched them both.

Dirtbikes and quads have nearly "squashed me" numerous times. You've got to on your game right after a crash and understand WHAT it's gonna do and how it will react.

In have had some HORRIBLE high speed crashes and slow speeds hill climb where the ATC comes tumbling down the hill too...

With a little bit of training along with practice, they are not a difficult machine to maneuver................

And and ALL situations may damage the trike but not the operator; I have been hurt far worse on extremely heavy quads, and thats not fiction bu8t real case scenario's.

Be safe, ride safe, take a safety course, and ALWAYS..........

I for one, feel much more safe on a theewheeler :lol: Go figure??!!

atcrider1
06-11-2010, 10:24 PM
I'd like to get a group of guys with different fab talents together and all of us put some blood sweat and tears into designing and building a 3w and see if the market could ever be brought back..

http://www.tpctrikes.com/

RIDE-RED 250r
06-11-2010, 10:48 PM
i was only 8 years old in '86, but i do remember some of the BS hype about this.....nice hatchet job ed bradley! you piece of crap! just another example of a bunch of scared-of-thier-own-shadow geeks raising a big fat stink about something they know absolutely nothing about...God bless America

factoryX
06-12-2010, 05:56 AM
welcome to 25 years ago.........

lol.......

jensenracing77
06-12-2010, 06:52 AM
Its bull. I'd like to get a group of guys with different fab talents together and all of us put some blood sweat and tears into designing and building a 3w and see if the market could ever be brought back. I think the real reason the manufacturers never started remaking them is cause they didn't want to have to deal with all the B.S. stupid ignorant people pushing rediculous absurd statements in their faces.

at the moment TPC trikes can't build them fast enough.
http://www.tpctrikes.com/

JayBone
06-12-2010, 07:40 AM
Hey be happy if you own a trike. The Gov has way more power now to take much more away.

Remember when you go to the gov for assistance you give them more power. Trikes won't be the only thing you will see go away in the future.

I couldn't watch the 1 st all the way through because they piss me off to much and it's to early in the morning.

SWIGIN
06-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Most of you guys are looking at this topic all wrong. As a triker when this whole ordeal was going on I too thought the government killed trikes. Heck, my uncle even received RECALL papers in the mail....we were that close to having to hand them in.

Looking back, the ''ban'' didn't kill trikes, quads did. Quads were the new, better handling, more advanced machine to have. At that time I couldn't see that but trikes wouldn't have lasted to 1990.

Vealmonkey
06-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Yeah, that's what I like. Someone sees and old video and suddenly they know all and they are upset. If it's not this, it's WW2 or whatever topic someone takes personal offence with. I can't believe no one has spouted off about the Dark Ages or the Black Plague or the Bay of Pigs or the Cold War. LOL The whole "ban" worked in favor of the big manufacturers anyway. Quads had already been introduced. It just gave the manufacturers a reason to ramp up quad production. I'm sure Honda and all the others weren't hurting too bad. Why do people keep kicking a dead horse. All this is so much before alot of the members on here that it just really pisses me off when they start spouting off. Please feel free to build a time machine and go back and change history. By the way, How old are you Johnny? I'm curious if you were around and had a chance to change history or not?

RIDE-RED 250r
06-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Most of you guys are looking at this topic all wrong. As a triker when this whole ordeal was going on I too thought the government killed trikes. Heck, my uncle even received RECALL papers in the mail....we were that close to having to hand them in.

Looking back, the ''ban'' didn't kill trikes, quads did. Quads were the new, better handling, more advanced machine to have. At that time I couldn't see that but trikes wouldn't have lasted to 1990.

you may very well be right and i tend to agree. but i think it should have been left to the consumers and the free market to make that determination. not a bunch of govt bureaucrats and over zealous, atv/off-road hating tv reporters. dont overlook the fact that they were trying to make the quads look bad in this report as well. if it were up to hacks like ed bradley and others like him, there would be NO off-roading allowed in ANY form at all.

VEALMONKEY: i see your point. but i was pretty young when this all took place, and that was the first time i had ever seen that report and did fry me a bit. its the same witch-hunt tactics used against law abiding gun owners, the current off-road motorsports crowd and so on and so forth. i realize we cant go back and change this, but it IS important we remember this so we can all be better prepared for the next onslaught against our liberty, whatever it may be that they decide they want to go after next. the recent ban on the youth model atvs and dirt bikes are a prefect example. i think EVERY off-road enthusiuast should know about this and how it took place no matter how young or how far back into history it fades....
respectfully.......

Vealmonkey
06-12-2010, 11:41 AM
I would truly like to see facts about how many people were killed on trikes compared to how many were killed on quads. Or how many have been killed by cigarette smoking or how many have been killed by car accidents. Or how many have been killed by armed conflict. Yet quads, cigarettes, cars or armed conflicts have not been banned. And I really think you fail to see the point or people would quit posting about the ban. It was voluntary people. As close as it came, it still didn't happen. And people shouldn't lump alot of these different things together because they are happening for different reasons. I've already had to erase a bunch of stuff I'm typing cause all this stupid stuff burns me up so much. I am a veteran and volunteered to serve in this countrys military to help defend this total stupidity. And the citizens are just as much to blame as the politicians. Who do you think voted for them? Citizens. Your neighbors. Your co-workers. Heck, maybe even some of your family members. I would find it hard to believe that nobody on this website voted for obama. I didn't, but you don't have to believe me. And like I said, there are real wrongs going on in this country. And the "ban", it never happened. Give it a rest.

RIDE-RED 250r
06-12-2010, 11:52 AM
I would truly like to see facts about how many people were killed on trikes compared to how many were killed on quads. Or how many have been killed by cigarette smoking or how many have been killed by car accidents. Or how many have been killed by armed conflict. Yet quads, cigarettes, cars or armed conflicts have not been banned. And I really think you fail to see the point or people would quit posting about the ban. It was voluntary people. As close as it came, it still didn't happen. And people shouldn't lump alot of these different things together because they are happening for different reasons. I've already had to erase a bunch of stuff I'm typing cause all this stupid stuff burns me up so much. I am a veteran and volunteered to serve in this countrys military to help defend this total stupidity. And the citizens are just as much to blame as the politicians. Who do you think voted for them? Citizens. Your neighbors. Your co-workers. Heck, maybe even some of your family members. I would find it hard to believe that nobody on this website voted for obama. I didn't, but you don't have to believe me. And like I said, there are real wrongs going on in this country. And the "ban", it never happened. Give it a rest.

im right there with you. i realize that the cessation of production of trikes was voluntary. but am i wrong to assume that if the makers didnt stop building trikes on their own that the govt was in fact threatening to step in? im not trying to argue with you, just having a conversation. just trying to learn a little more about this.

but anyway, like you i did NOT vote for obama. not that i was a big McCain fan, he was IMHO clearly the lesser of the 2 evils. and you are absolutely correct about there being many more very pressing issues of wrong-doing in the country currently. thank you for your service! :beer

Vealmonkey
06-12-2010, 12:49 PM
I know you are not trying to argue with me. I also know you weren't the original starter of this thread. But I've seen so many postings of this very thing and it seems most are started by people who just don't know. There were tons of people who wrote thier state and national representatives on this issue. People who lived or live in states that register their recreational vehicles pay a portion to help maintain and preserve the areas for these rvs or atvs or what ever you would like to call them. Money from car and truck and motorcycle tags go towards highway maintenance. Most states have a motorcycle safety program that is partially funded from motorcycle tags. At times there have been states that were threatened to lose part of their highway funding if they didn't adopt motorcycle helmet laws. Some states have shut down and sold off recreational areas that alot of "citizens" taxes have paid for. When the early hondas were around, alot of people weren't wearing helmets. There were no classes on safety or how to ride. There weren't any mandatory helmet laws for kids on bicycles even. We survived. My parents even encouraged me to go out and play in traffic! LOL I was talking to a board member last week. I know for a fact that honda sent out decals and safety pamphlets to alot of people that had previously bought trikes as part of a safety awareness campaign that the US government forced upon the trike makers. I have a letter and envelope and all the stickers and pamphlets at home somewhere for a one owner trike that I have. My old atc90 was too old to be covered by the campaign, but I think all trikes that honda sold from 80 or 81 on had to be contacted and mailed the materials. Most people probably threw them out. For responsible people, these things aren't a problem. But for those irresponsible people who blame everyone but themselves, well, those are really the people who you need to thank. There were and are tons of people that give politicians the ammo to do all the stupid stuff they do. And all it takes is for one politician that think that they are doing the best for the average citizen and then it just snowballs from there. There were people passionate about thier trikes back then as they are now. But the big trike makers and honda especially, that had a big influence on the AMA which pretty stopped trikes from being raced, which also helped with quad sales. It hurt the little guys more than anything. And the aftermarket, it just made them stronger too. Since alot of people had to turn to aftermarket parts to keep their trikes going. But racers had to go to quads. And that is why quad kits for trikes came about. Those ugly kits kept the average trike racer going. Not eveyone can afford to just go out and buy a new or several new machines. So they made do for the cheapest cost. That's why I get pissed about the idiots who talk about the astro kits and stuff being an abomination to trikes. They just once again show what they don't know. The government or a very small part of the government was threatening to step in. Sort of like Tipper Gore and the music nazis with the whole illicit lyrics deal. People were just being stupidly irresponsible. But the real writing was on the wall. Quads were on thier way in. Honda had made their money and they were the only real trikes for 10 years and they were just getting real competition in the trike market. I mean the yt125 in 1980 from yamaha and not from kawasaki until 83 or 84. If forced Honda to ramp up thier quad development. And again they stepped up the game. Hence the trx250r.