PDA

View Full Version : All you Lathe Guys...What Is it...and Whats it worth?

MTS
06-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Hey there, Few questions For the Lathe guys...Have a chance to buy this Colchestor / Triumph 2000 Lathe with a Topaz Digital Readout, Says the auction title, Just looking for any up's/downs And What Eara this one was made in. Also what it might be worth. Me and the Old guy have been kicking around the idea of getting one for a while now,,This one is pretty close. And looks more than sufficient for what we want to do with it.
:beer

300rman
06-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Nice....i want a lathe and a mill.....so many things to make.....dont know anything about that one, but good luck!

Dirtcrasher
06-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Thats a beautiful lathe! It will do most anything you know how to make it do so... :lol:

Gotta be above 4-6K, even in this rotten economy. That readout alone probably cost 1000$...

Go to Practical Machinists or Home machinists and ask the guys in the lathe section. (As long as those aren't Craigslist or EBAY pics and guys figure it out!) They may snatch it away from you.....

NICE LATHE!!

SWIGIN
06-17-2010, 05:15 PM
I never seen one like that but it does look nice. Ithas a thread dial so you'll be able to cut threads which is VERY handy.

whats the asking price?

Dirtcrasher
06-17-2010, 05:32 PM
I think the old version was a Clausing, but they were known as very tough lathes! IDK that much about them, but they aren't ENCO.............................

One thing that lathe has even MORE important than thread changes is a BRAKE!

You get sucked into a lathe real quick ( I won't post the link!!) and that brake can save your life!!

MTS
06-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Yes i noticed the brake...Kinda thought they where a standard thing.... Guess not. the one i have used is similar to this, Was wondering bout Cutting threads....Cool stuff...If we do get it, will definitely be a learning curve....Witch is OK...Have lots of use's for it...As for the Asking price, its In a Closed tender auction....So...Don't know What it will go for...Hoping No one else Bids :lol: If we don't get it ohwell...They come up Often enough... :beer

Dirtcrasher
06-17-2010, 08:45 PM
My old shop had an AWESOME SHARP lathe, it could do ANYTHING and had about 1.750 thru hole so you could put 8' stock in there as long as you supported the unsupported end......

I think it was about 10K new with attachments and brought about 3K at auction. Virtually No WEAR at all!! Too bad I was the best machinist in the shop so I couldn't learn anything aside from experience; Be it good or bad :)

My brake is a loosely run leather belt and I drag my hand on the 6" chuck to stop it :lol:

It could easily take off a finger/hand and the aluminum wrapping up on the piece being cut can cut you severely.

There is a horrific accident on the net where a man wore a long sleeve shirt on an older lathe. 1st it took his hand, then forearm, then whole arm and lastly ........... You get the idea.

If he had a brake he could have been saved.

The brake we had was unbelievable, VERY fast!! Made you feel very safe! I had 1/2 stock in there, read the chart wrong and it whacked me maybe 2 times before I nailed that brake!

MTS
06-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Yes the brake is Handy ...That's Half the reason The machinist i know Has NO sleeve's on his coveralls....Too many things to get caught in!!...They do stop fast...Just don't let your foot slip...:rolleyes: Can make a mess of your work too...:lol:

aldochina
06-17-2010, 10:31 PM
that thing looks like a beast!! There is a southbend by me for 450.00, was thinking about it!! No nothing about using them, but for that price, i could certainly learn.

code200k
06-17-2010, 10:37 PM
all you lathe/machinist would have a ball at my dads old job. got about 4 big lathes 4 power hammers one i rebuilt myself.hmm they also have a bunch of millls and press's.They are a forge that makes wrought iron furnishings and such.Got all tons of cool machines.I have been trying to get the boss man to help me make up some custom/replacement trike stuff like D.C. does but he thinks its not worth it..

twitch101
06-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Dc has me curious on this accident video. we were in wood shop once and had the nail gun pressure to high. when someone used it on a wall they missed the stud and it shot through inches by a friends head.

code200k
06-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Dc has me curious on this accident video. we were in wood shop once and had the nail gun pressure to high. when someone used it on a wall they missed the stud and it shot through inches by a friends head.

lol my older brother while using a nail gun put a nail through his hand.what an idiot

honda250sx
06-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Ran a lathe identical to that one all thru college. They are really nice. Have decent size thru bore on the spindle liner too.

SWIGIN
06-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Lathe brakes are nice for sure but don't forget guys, if you have a threaded spindle the chuck will fly off when the spindle stops suddenly.

I supose this is why most home lathes dont have brakes. Like DC said the older lathes did'nt need them since only so much power goes through a leather belt.

Dirtcrasher
06-19-2010, 01:02 PM

Search the Net, but, I promise you that you'll be afraid of lathes after that!