PDA

View Full Version : Air tool gurus need your help

rdlsz24
06-16-2010, 11:06 AM
I've had a Craftsman 33 gallon upright air compressor since last fall but haven't used it all that much. Can I use a 1/2" impact wrench with it? I don't want to buy one if it is going to go pfft when I try to use it.

Here are the relevant specs of my compressor from the owners manual:

Running HP: 1.6
Approx cut-in: 120 psi
Approx cut-out: 150 psi
SCFM @40psig: 6.3
SCFM @90psid: 4.9

Rob

Mosh
06-16-2010, 11:31 AM
I have one of those and it will run impacts air hammers, die grinders and air ratchets.
However, you will only get about 80% of the full power of a 1/2 impact with a compressor like this.

The SCFM rating is what really matters on a air compressor.
The higher the SCFM at 90 PSI, the more power you get to run the tools.

It should work fine for lugnuts on cars and the occasional stubborn bolt and nut.
If you get a impact that is rated to 800 Ft lbs of torque, dont expect to get all that out of it, with a light duty compressor.

SWIGIN
06-16-2010, 04:46 PM
What mosh said is correct.

Make sure you get a gun rated higher then you need so it will do what you ask of it. check out the Ingersoll rand titanium guns, I wont use anything else now that i have one.

Thorpe
06-16-2010, 09:35 PM
And use large diameter air hose.... Small dia. hoses will reduce your tool power...

squirrel1182
06-16-2010, 10:02 PM
We have one of those small 6 gallon compressors that my dad uses for work and i use a half inch impact with it all the time.

300rman
06-16-2010, 11:17 PM
What mosh said is correct.

Make sure you get a gun rated higher then you need so it will do what you ask of it. check out the Ingersoll rand titanium guns, I wont use anything else now that i have one.

i dunno man, the 1/2 NitroCat (1000 ft. lbs) and the 3/8 AirCat are some damn nice impacts. Lightweight, durable, and lots of power.

Dirtcrasher
06-16-2010, 11:44 PM
Your compressor is good for everything but a sandblaster (pretty much).......

It will work with a cabinet on smaller items as long as you let it build back up or use a large holding tank....

Make sure it cools off ever so often if it's used allot and gets hot - DEEPA helped me learn that :D

3wheelmecca
06-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Watch out on that compressor, the compressor ring goes out often, otherwise they work great. I used my full steel IR 1/2 Impact with few problems.
I am running two 60 gal compressors, a Sanborn and a Coleman, and my sandblaster still is weak. I guess I need either more media or more PSI on the manifold, I'm at 100 now.