PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my John Deere Model 60

fabiodriven
06-20-2010, 12:38 PM
My machine is a 1968 John Deere Model 60 as stated in the title. I was mowing my lawn last week when one of the tie rods came apart. The ball fell right out of the socket and I would gladly just buy another tie rod but I cannot find one anywhere. I think the part may be obsolete, but I don't know because I can't even find the part number for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/JohnDeereModel60.jpg

This is what my tie rod looks like. Unfortunately, this one is too short. This one is 8 1/4 inches long. Mine is closer to 10 inches or so.
http://cgi.ebay.com/John-Deere-Joint-Tie-Rod-Ball-/120443691181?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c0b00e0ad

SWIGIN
06-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Nice tractor!

My 316 has a simple tie rod setup like that and I made my mind up that if an end goes bad Im using 450R tie rod ends and treading some rod so it will look just like a quad setup.

You could even just get a quad tie rod and cut it in the middle and shorten it to the width you need. Then when it nweeds an end you can just get quad parts...lol

I just rembered, I do have a pile of old tie rods from suzuki quad sports with ends if i remeber right. I'll look around and try to find them and post a pic. I know I have one around 10''.

SWIGIN
06-20-2010, 12:59 PM
HA! went right to them.

Here they are, 1 is just under 10'' as it is ajusted now and the others are longer. If you want one to use I will sell it CHEAP.

http://i50.tinypic.com/6tkzy8.jpg

fabiodriven
06-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks a lot Swigin. I was debating on doing something like that myself. The thing that makes it tough is my on going garage construction. I don't have any access to my welders so I can't really fabricate anything. It would have to pretty much bolt in. Let me see what I can find out and I may take that 10" one off your hands. Thanks a lot for your help.

dickieg89
06-20-2010, 09:26 PM
what do you mean you don't have access to any welders? dickieg has many many machine shops.

on another note, wtf is happening with your new lady friend, the board wants updates.

Dirtcrasher
06-21-2010, 12:28 AM
Thanks a lot Swigin. I was debating on doing something like that myself. The thing that makes it tough is my on going garage construction. I don't have any access to my welders so I can't really fabricate anything. It would have to pretty much bolt in. Let me see what I can find out and I may take that 10" one off your hands. Thanks a lot for your help.

You can always weld here meathead :D

Leadfoot71
06-21-2010, 02:35 AM
I broke a tie rod end a couple years ago on a real POS mower that my buddy gave to me. I stuck the two parts in a vice and crimped them together. After that I wound a lenth of wire around them to keep them together if they ever fell apart again.

It's still holding! Lol!

fabiodriven
06-21-2010, 08:25 AM
what do you mean you don't have access to any welders? dickieg has many many machine shops.

on another note, wtf is happening with your new lady friend, the board wants updates.

Lol Dickie- Well, I've been dating this girl for probably two weeks now. Shes not bad looking and pretty fun to hang out with. All in all, she's pretty good. For whatever reason, I'm just not "feelin" it with her. Not quite sure what the problem is. I gave her the "it's not you, it's me" yesterday and I could tell she was upset. I know she likes me. I feel bad, like I lead her on, but I didn't do it on purpose. I have my eye on another one (or two), and I'm going to pick up a quad from this real hottie today that needs her carb cleaned. I figure I'll clean her carb, then her pipes. Lol- just kidding. I'm gonna fix her quad and then set up a date to go riding. I'm hoping I can win her over, but we'll see. This one is SMOKIN HOT. Definitely a keeper. Wish me luck!

And thank you very much Steve. I may just take you up on that offer. I just feel bad using everybody else's stuff while my own stuff is buried.

SWIGIN
06-21-2010, 05:03 PM
If you tell me the corect measurment I will cut one down and weld it for you. Or I could add a section to the middle to lengthen the little one.

fabiodriven
06-21-2010, 08:44 PM
If you tell me the corect measurment I will cut one down and weld it for you. Or I could add a section to the middle to lengthen the little one.

Wow man. I really appreciate that. I'll let you know what I got. Thanks.

Dirtcrasher
06-26-2010, 09:48 PM
If you make any holes wilth my welder. you'll just have to find me some holes :D

USE IT!! It's here and you've been good to me.......................

wheelaholic
06-26-2010, 09:59 PM
i don't have anything constructive to add but i would like to say that is a damn nice lawnmower