PDA

View Full Version : have a dilemma and a budget

twitch101
06-22-2010, 08:06 PM
right now the trike has priority of coure (backwards priorities).

while im out of town there was an accident at the shop involving my truck. someone ran our biggest forklift through my driver side door. they are fixing the door and trim and everything out of there pocket so im fine with that. my problem is that i will have a brand new shiny door and faded paint everywhere else. the truck itself runs good but could die at any moment. (316k miles and still counting)

the dilemma im facing is should i repaint it and restore it all the way down to a crate engine? 1996 c1500 step side.

or is it better to look poor for awhile and find a new vehicle worth putting money into?

Thorpe
06-22-2010, 08:20 PM
I would pocket the money and look for a fresher truck.... (imo)

twitch101
06-22-2010, 08:22 PM
thats what i was leaning at but was unsure i could find something soon enough as im in college.

code200k
06-22-2010, 11:42 PM
i would drive her till she dies and then use her for parts

300rman
06-23-2010, 12:56 AM
they are fixing it? i would have taken the money it would have taken to fix it, and kept it, then put it towards something newer.

but if it is running great, i doubt it will just fail and die...maybe small stuff, but if there arent any problems, catastrophic failure isnt likely.

twitch101
06-23-2010, 01:41 AM
im only getting them to fix it because im 4 states away and i havent seen the damage. i could have gotten a door at a junk yard for cheaper and taken the money. but im off to college on the 6th so i have no time for it. to tell the truth, im not even sure how to fix a bent door hinge.

b11sentra
06-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Let them fix it, then drive it till that door falls off. 316k is low miles in my world. Keep an eye on oil pressure and dont run it hot, it will live a long life. Who cares about how it looks, its a truck, not a show car.

JayBone
06-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Run it to death. Save for a newer truck while driving the beater. Less borrowed money or less of a payment the better you will be. A vehical is one of the worst investments. It's only a tool.

Just take care of the beater and don't do some of the dumb stuff i have witnessed on youtube that kids do with there trucks.