PDA

View Full Version : picked up a new toy!!!

atcrider1
07-01-2010, 05:13 PM
yesterday i got this 69 vw baja bug.its been sitting in the grass for over 7 years the gas tank and lines were completely plugged up and the breaks needed a little work. its got a dual port 1600 with a 2 bbl webber carb. once we cleaned the fuel lines out it fired right up and purred like a kitten. it run and drives great but the shifter has a little slop in it and only one wheel has breaks.

i just need to finish up a few small things and its ready for plates:naughty:

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae303/atcrider1/bug/bug002.jpg

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae303/atcrider1/bug/bug001.jpg

ATC-Eric
07-01-2010, 05:18 PM
That thing rocks! Good score.

Mr_RPM
07-01-2010, 06:11 PM
i have always wanted one of those. very cool

cattle-dog
07-01-2010, 07:12 PM
man i always wanted one of thos ,

atcrider1
07-01-2010, 08:18 PM
i'va also always wanted one,

i've seen this thing sitting in my cousins back yard for years, he would never get off it until recently when he said he wanted to clean up a little so we traded a 96 ford f350 for the bug , a 85 chevy 3/4 ton and a 86 ford.

my dad knows the people who originally bought it and brought it to Michigan from California in the late eighties

i dont know why they quit using it, there wasnt anything wrong with it, i;ve been playing around in it all day,the tires are a little too big but its a blast

Vealmonkey
07-01-2010, 09:18 PM
I love those old "bug eye" kits like that. Man, a body lift for starters. One piece door windows. Some new cal look rubber without the trim ring. Some nice detailing and tweak the hood for fit and you should be good to go. For the shifter, you probably need to replace the shifter connector parts at the front of the transmission and a new plastic bushing inside the shifter tunnel and that should clear up alot of your shifter issues. Make sure you check your transmission mounts, 1 front and 2 rear ones to make sue they aren't all worn out. Check your steering rubber biscuit in the front as well as your steering stabilizer. Please make sure you replace all fuel lines right away. There is nothing uglier than a bug fuel fire at the engine. Make a fire extinguisher or a couple fire extinguishers "must buys" right away. Keep one or 2 small extinguishers in your bug at all times. I can't stress this enough!!!!!! If you are doing work on the bug in your garage, make sure you have a larger extinguisher in your garage just in case. Bugs have been know for fuel leaks and fires and you can't be too careful. I had a couple friends lose beautiful cars and 1 even lost his garage due to a fuel leak and fire. It's nothing to mess with and not a fun thing at all. And they happen really fast. Get some extinguishers for in and out of the car and replace those fuel hoses right away.