PDA

View Full Version : Whats a 1976 Charger Worth?

MudBug
07-02-2010, 09:31 PM
The type of Dodge charger that is a clone of the Chrysler Cordoba from that era. I can get pics If you guys want. I just want to know if its worth restoring because I could possibly get my hands on it.

Vealmonkey
07-02-2010, 09:42 PM
The question should really be, what's it worth to you? It ain't our money and time and sweat and such. It ain't gonna be no $20,000 car when it's done, but I may be wrong. It's not an official muscle car and was built during a time of detroit stringent smog controls and such if you are really restoring. But I'm sure your idea of restoring and my idea of restoring anything is different. I had a friend who had a 72 4 door dodge dart with a slant 6 engine and automatic on the column. Spent a fortune in body work and repainting and replacing all the brake parts and fuel tank and rebuilt the suspension and rebuilt the engine and such. It was beautiful when it was done, but it wasn't worth the amount of money they had put in the car. This is why this question never makes sense to me. If someone won't pay .50 cents for something, then it's not worth .50 cents no matter what anyone else says. Things are only worth what someone is willing to pay. If someone will give you a ton of money good for you, but I think you will really be disappointed in the end. Of course I've seen people on here get excited about a whole dumptrucks worth or rusted, busted up, crappy, incomplete and barely useable bike parts that I wouldn't do anything with but take them to the dump. So what do I know? Best of luck either way.

Leadfoot71
07-02-2010, 10:21 PM
The type of Dodge charger that is a clone of the Chrysler Cordoba from that era. I can get pics If you guys want. I just want to know if its worth restoring because I could possibly get my hands on it.

I'd say that car is worth about $4 more than a similar year Cordoba.

I agree with Vealmonkey. Very few cars are actually worth a full blown restoration. Also keep in mind that it costs the same to restore a collector car as it does to restore an ordinary/ less desirable car. About the only exception to that rule is if the collector car is exceptionally rare or parts are difficult to find/reproduce.

Even so I'd love to see some pictures of this car. I don't think I've seen one since about 1986.

Thorpe
07-02-2010, 10:28 PM
^^^ Gotta agree as mentioned above... $4 more than a similar year Cordoba, thus putting the grand total right around 12 bucks...

MudBug
07-03-2010, 03:47 PM
I was just checking with you car guys as to if it were a sought after model of the Charger. I guess not ! haha. I can have pics by tomorrow

cattle-dog
07-03-2010, 05:00 PM
if the body is clean and it runs then i would think about if the price is right, right now all cars are down in value even at the mekum auction. show us some pics and post up the price then you will get a better idea.

MudBug
07-04-2010, 03:42 PM
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy299/brandonploughman/july42010005.jpg

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy299/brandonploughman/july42010006.jpg

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy299/brandonploughman/july42010007.jpg

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy299/brandonploughman/july42010008.jpg

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy299/brandonploughman/july42010010.jpg

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy299/brandonploughman/july42010011.jpg

Thorpe
07-04-2010, 04:19 PM
I retract my previous statement... Grand total value, $10.00

MTS
07-04-2010, 04:21 PM
that looks surprisingly good for the east coast...How many buckets of bondo....? Cheap enough i would fire it together and roast some tires with it!!!

MudBug
07-04-2010, 04:38 PM
It runs. With the suspension fixed in the back and some exhaust work she would be a good driver. Id like to know what size motor is in it, it sure does rumble!

MTS
07-04-2010, 04:45 PM
That was my next question...to bad you didn't get a picture of the motor...Probably a 360...Im not familiar with the Chrysler so much...Could be a big block...Would be cool.

tecat-z
07-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Probably a Dodge Magnum in reality. I had a neighbor when i was a kid that had a beautiful 77 Magnum XE with t-tops, console, gold exterior louvered opera glass and a factory equipped thermoquad 4barrel 360. That was the largest engine installed in these bodies originally. The biggest problem was that they were uni-body with rear leaf springs. A car of very low quality structurally speaking. I always sort of liked the looks of the magnum, and 2door cordoba. But every one i drove felt like it was in a constant drift due to uncorrectable chassis deflection, and partially collapsed rear leafs. This was circa 1988-1989 when i was in search of a first car.

Leadfoot71
07-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Oooh boy...

I'd say that a '69 Charger in this condition would certainly be a good candidate for a restoration. This car, no way.

I doubt that it would even make much sence to try and put it back on the road. Just the tail lights and back bumper will probably cost more than the whole car...if you can find them. Most salvage yards are crushing this older, low demand stuff in favor of the higher demand, late models. It just doesn't pay to keep a whole salvage yard full of these things anymore.

I'd offer the owner some cold beer for it. Then I'd demo derby it.

Double check the engine first though.. You might be surprised and find a "Lean Fire" 440 in there. I'd guess it's a 318 or 360 though. Neither one will have more than 180 HP though.

puggerton03
07-04-2010, 08:11 PM
It looks in decent shape but if its been sitting in the grass the whole underneath is probably not too good of shape. I actually like the way the front looks. Personally, I wouldnt waste my time or money. Its a big, heavy, slow, old tech car.

hublake
07-04-2010, 09:13 PM
I retract my previous statement... Grand total value, $10.00

I think that is about $5.00 too much. What are local scrap yards paying?

leviblue
07-05-2010, 12:04 AM
That would make a great saterday night special at the local dirt track...put in a cage...weld the doors and bumpers.....switch the tank...and go racing.....that baby would move and grove in the thunder car class

3wheelmecca
07-05-2010, 12:21 AM
I kind of like it. I like the shifter? and front end. I would slap a B series 400 out of a van and drive it. I have a 1968 Dodge Coronet 440 Sedan that is about that big, but has a bored and stroked 318 with posi. For Sale.
I would get it. Just look hard for the rear end parts.