PDA

View Full Version : Break in advice for a brand new 09 trx450r

350xman
07-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Hi Guys
I picked up a very cheap brand new 09 trx450r from a honda dealer going out of business sale last week. I ve always owned 2 strokes a few older 350x but never had to break in a new or rebuilt 4 stroke motor. So, my question is how much different if any on how you have to break in a new 4 stroke motors? Any advice or tips would be great on how you guys broke in your new 4 stroke motors??? Does the honda 450r have any maintenance quirks as far as a certain type of break in oil works better then the other etc?

Thank 350xman

SWIGIN
07-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Your telling me that a new quad doesn't come with break in recommendations these days?

Instead of asking here first, I would have asked the dealer who will be dealing with the warranty, as to what he thought first. Then run it by the group here if I wanted to know, but thats just me.

If it were mine, I'd treat it like any other rebuilt/new 4 stroke I've had.

I'd run it like I want to but not beating on it yet. This has worked for me for decades.

3wheelmecca
07-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Run a shot glass full of 2 stroke in it, and stay under half throttle for a tank of gas, has always worked on my 4 strokes I've rebuilt.
After that tank, just stay gentle on it for 2 rides, then, youre broken in.

KASEY
07-05-2010, 12:47 AM
as volitile as the new 450's are ,,, i agree go back to the dealer and ask them,, on mine i took it easy for a whole tankful.. that ran it like i stole it, after that, 6 years old and never been apart,, also i run 100 to 1 in it when i ride it, a little topend lube never hurts when your hard on it,,, especially in the desert southwest.

Mr_RPM
07-05-2010, 10:33 AM
just go easy on it and get it to full temp a few times (letting it cool inbetween) then change the oil and ride it like its meant to be ridden. chances are since its a 09 the dealer has moved it around alot and they have started it alot to do so. they do that at my dads work to move it from the front to rear of the building for lock up at night. so its probably already been hot a few times.

curtis slawson
07-05-2010, 12:20 PM
read the owner mauel book that comes with a brand new bike it tell's you how to brake it in .

inv3ctiv3
07-06-2010, 01:56 PM
just go easy on it and get it to full temp a few times (letting it cool inbetween) then change the oil and ride it like its meant to be ridden. chances are since its a 09 the dealer has moved it around alot and they have started it alot to do so. they do that at my dads work to move it from the front to rear of the building for lock up at night. so its probably already been hot a few times.

Really? Because every dealership I have been to looking for new 450R's none of them even have oil in them so you can't start them at all. Part of the deal with buying a new quad (at least here in CA) is they have to finish "assembly" by putting the battery in, putting oil and gas in it.

I was looking at a KFX450R this weekend and the guy told me to break it in I would need to drive it till it got warm (easy riding) then turn it off and let it cool down and do that 3 times. Then change the oil and I'd be good to go but I definitely would go to the dealership and ask them!

rdlsz24
07-06-2010, 02:01 PM
It says what to do in the owner manual. I attached the page from the 2008 manual. Looks like they're not too worried.

Rob