PDA

View Full Version : So what is my set up worth?....selling 85 sx , need advice for future ebay posting.

detonateme
07-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Well....as much as I hate to, i am forced to sell my current rig. I am though much happier about my new baby girl arriving soon :)
I need the expertise of all those super users who have been on this board for some time now. I need to sell my trike but i don't know what is fair to ask for her. I have been monitoring the same year model rigs on ebay but no one has one set up quite like mine in order to make an accurate comparison. So here are the stats (pictures attached). My rig is a 1985 honds 250sx. It has the entire front end, tripples to rim, of the corresponding year model 350x trike( the headlight and shroud are from the 250sx). Brand new front kenda tire, original plastic with no tears of cracks (the on thing wrong with it is the old man who owned it before me drilled a few small holes on each side and mounted fiberglass extended mud flaps), the entire bike was tore down and professionally powder coated fire engine red 1 and 1/2 years ago. All the hardware on the bike is in excellent shape including all rubber mountings and the rubber enclosure that the key fits into. Now for the rest... I have added all but one or two brand new cables (the ones i haven't added i will give to the buyer), replaced the swing-arm and rear bearings when I tore it down to powder coat. The rear chunk has been professionally reworked (new bearings and seals). The engine was painted with PJ1 case paint when it was put into the bike after powder coating was finished. All of the rubber and connectors are in excellent shape (might be a little dirty). The bike has a plastic Clarke tank which has no cracks or defects, there are 1 and 1/2 inch spacers on the rear, The bike has about half of a stainless bolt kit installed(the rest is up to the new owner). What comes with the bike is..... the original front end from the 250sx(which has a brand new kenda tire also), remainder of ss bolt kit, front hydraulic brake mechanism for front end, 350x carb (in great working order), 2 brand new seat covers since the original has a tear in it, the side tool box and rear rack that came with the bike. The rear rack has been altered, it was cut flat. The hump in the back portion was removed to streamline the rack. The new owner will also receive a cd with the honda repair manuals for both the 250sx and 350x bikes. Now for the negatives (a much shorter list:) ; the front wheel bearings need replacing (im too busy to do it), the front shock seals need some re-seating. I have brand new seals and oil for both shock tubes, the rear brakes work but they stick so they will need to be worked on. The choke cable is rough and i cannot figure out how to put the new cable on(will let the new owner figure that one out), the headlight and housing are from the 250sx so the light does not tilt as far down as is needed for extended night riding. Im sure it could be corrected with a little ingenuity. The engine paint has held up but the muffler paint has not. It shows in the pics, I dont have the time to repaint and bake the exhaust (which is a turbo truck muffler), The front shock covers are all original and have been painted black to mach the engine but have started to flake some, The front fender is original and in great shape except for the fact that it has micro heat cracks on the top(no actual cracks in the plastic) And lastly the rear steel rims are all original so they need to be painted every season and I havent had the time. But they are in decent shape.
Thats all I can think of for now.... I know this is a long post but please give it a look and tell me what yalls honest opinion is about its worth. I was hoping to get at least 2k for it. That would break me even with all the work I have done and the original price. Thanks so much for everyone's help.

aldochina
07-13-2010, 12:14 AM
its a nice trike man, but i doubt you will get 2k for it. I'd say topps 1500.00, and thats optomistic. Congrats on the little one. Again, it looks great, but the sx just isnt one of the more sought after trikes. good luck with the sale

83ATC185S
07-13-2010, 01:05 AM
I agree with aldochina, 1500max,and thats crazy price.

You cant expect to get your money back out of a trike

detonateme
07-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Well...i had wondered about that myself. Oh well, all i can do is ebay it and see what happens. Thanks for the replys. I had thought about selling the spare pats seperately to help make up the difference... may try that as well. I love my trike and forget that its 25 pus years old sometimes. Like y'all said its a small market.

Tri-Z 250
07-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Just cause they won't pay...doesn't mean someone else won't. I hear people from Canada saying all the time how cheap we sell 3wheelers. Market it to them...it's in good shape plus the SX gives it that hunter/trail sport feel. You gotta be willing to ship where the money is...Just cause your neighbors broke and says it ain't worth much, means little. Good pics...other free ATV sights...so on and so on. If you spend the time you will get closer to your return. GOOD LUCK

cox
07-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Lol, i was just looking at this post and was thinking how you owuld be able to get your 2k out of it if you sold it up here. Its a nice machine man, Dont really ever see them like that up here. And ya, you guys sell ATC's for cheap. Your guys $500 250R is a $2000 250R where im at. It makes me sad, but im going to vegas in two weeks maybe ill find something while im there....

jasonb01
07-13-2010, 05:12 PM
I see you're in LA too. What part? I would think around here, Baton Rouge area, that would be like $800 tops. I like it and it looks real clean, but if you intended on ever selling it I think you should have went back with the original black instead of all that red. A $2000 trike needs to be original or restored to original. I think if you would have gone black, you might get $12-1500 out of it. And I don't think you'd get much parting it out cause the red parts would not match anyone elses SX. But if you go that route, I want dibs on the tank and rear fender. Congrats on the arrival!!

detonateme
07-14-2010, 12:01 AM
Well I just may have to move some other things around and hang on to the old girl.... might not be a bad idea anyway. Im up in the shreveport area, i actually bought this bike for 800 in baton rouge several years ago. so good call :)