PDA

View Full Version : Reinventing the fork

Mendomotox
07-15-2010, 05:55 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering if any one has considered using non-telescopic forks on there trikes?

Check out these sidecar MXers with swing arm front suspension.
link to sidecarcross websitehttp://www.sidecarcross.com/
someone told me that the reason the sidecars use the type of suspention they do is because the side loads created by the side car can jam up conventional, telescopic forks.

I also found this pic of an old HRC race bike, (two wheels), with a mono shock front end. I was web surfing one time and i saved the pic. but can't remember what the site was called now. I think they called the bike, 'the robo bike' or something. its the attachment.

Im rather new to 3 wheelers, but I was wondering if there was anything to gain if this was applied to trikes. Just a thought, what do you guys think??? good idea, bad idea, has anyone tried it???

TrailerRider
07-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Holy crap. Untill now I have never heard of side car racing. Why don't they just get a real 3 wheeler... I think they look terrible, unsafe, prone to major failure and just plain ridiculous. I mean geese look at how many points of failure there are in the pic you posted. Sorry to anyone that rides these contraptions but there is no way I would ride one of those. :crazy:

Mendomotox
07-16-2010, 06:19 PM
i thought they were weird too, i would still want to ride one. but i wouldn't want to be the passenger!! but what do u think of the suspension?

Dirtcrasher
07-17-2010, 05:23 PM
I think they are lovely Honda Research and Development history, but too many linkage and failure points.....

Billy Golightly
07-17-2010, 06:00 PM
There are cantelever frontends like that gained a little popularity on road racing motorcycles. Try a google search for a hossack front end. Their main advantage is how little the rake and trail changes as it goes through the suspension travel, and how it effects the steering geometry. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything better comfort wise then a telescopic fork.

Jerm1179
07-17-2010, 07:45 PM
a dirtbike with a sidehack!...thats insane.....trust your pilot! and respect your monkey! lol straight up insane!

jensenracing77
07-17-2010, 08:27 PM
i want to try it. that would be awesome.

cbx1170
08-11-2010, 02:51 AM
Look up the Parker-Radd stuff for bikes from the 80's. Parker. Guy was way smart. I think Yamaha copied/bought Patent release for one one of their 1000cc bikes and produced it. Worked good.... didnt sell. It does work but not 3 wheel material.

bcredneck
04-04-2011, 02:06 AM
i had a sidehack bmx problem was it was a hackjob lost my buddy going down a hill apparantly a mig without gas or flux core wire dosent make good welds

Billy Golightly
04-04-2011, 01:30 PM
i had a sidehack bmx problem was it was a hackjob lost my buddy going down a hill apparantly a mig without gas or flux core wire dosent make good welds

No, it doesn't. And it'd likely end up getting someone seriously hurt or killed.

mi500
04-18-2011, 12:30 PM
That RC250 is a ribi fork. dont think it made it past the prototype stage but it kinda looks cool.

http://moto.mpora.com/features/part-one-retro-factory-bikes.html

RubberSalt
04-18-2011, 01:40 PM
The KLt200C has an interesting front suspension set up. Not as odd as those seen above, but defiantly different.

mi500
04-18-2011, 02:17 PM
here is another page with some info on the Yamaha GTS mentioned and some other front end designs.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461807

OZQUAD44
05-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Search "leading link trike pictures" on google, then you will see leading link front ends are nothing new.

Leading link front ends and three wheeled machines go hand in hand. They are good for reducing trail (making them easier to steer) whilst maintaining usable suspension angles. Leading links are far more rigid than forks, but the trade off is additional weight and reduced wheel travel

If our ATC's never evolved into HIPO MX machines, my guess is there would have been more Leading link three wheelers made

digschopper
06-05-2011, 03:04 PM
leading link forks were popular in the 60's/70's on makes such as GREEVES,DKW,and others. the reason why they are still favored in hack racin is they handle the added sideloads of the hack. this is true even in sidecar roadracing rigs. ugly as my mother-in-law,though.