PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend a good cheap pair of workboots?

TheRealFatShady
07-16-2010, 02:02 PM
I need some new boots. I landscape, often work with construction type materials, constantly outside and doing 'rugged' work.

My Timberlands have fallen apart, within about 2 months. They used to be the best boots IMO, but their quality is no-longer existent.

Can anyone recommend a good pair of boots, steel toe or not. Hopefully there is a hidden 'cheap' brand that hold up well.

PS: Size 12, slightly wider foot.

Thanks

Walkerallen
07-16-2010, 02:07 PM
i like the Carolina logger style. i wear the size 12 ee and it fits perfect. and for only $87.99 you cant beat the quality. im a mechanic and the constant on and off the knees, the toes of the boots are still there 10 months later. but this is just my opinion.

Mr_RPM
07-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Caterpillar Makes a great steel toe boot. I got mine for 70 bucks on sale, retail was 89.99
I am on my 2nd pair, each lasting 1.5 years. i could have stretched them a little longer though.

alot of my friends buy those tan surviver man boots from wal-mart for 40 bucks and they seem to last a very long time. my dad had a pair for a few years. he only complained that they weren't the most comfortable. nothing new insoles didn't fix.

stay away from Dickie brand boots. i hated them and everyone i know thats had them hated them. they wear out fast

dainpstewart
07-16-2010, 03:51 PM
check into red wing shoes...they are generally pricey, but they make some great boots

haggard 2hundie
07-16-2010, 09:01 PM
brahama from wally world are decent

86trizinger
07-16-2010, 09:09 PM
I kept going through boots. I finally was at a military surplus sale and got a new set of them. Those are comfortable and I have had them for almost 2 years now.

jeffatc250r
07-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Im a logger and have had every just about every kind out there, The most I can get out of a pair is almost 10 months, and they are georgia boots. Ive had red wings, carolinas, chips, etc etc and those usually start to fail 6 months in. Labonville USED to make good boots, with kevlar toes, but they too suck big donkey dik now. Someone posted up brhamas or whatever they are called from wal-mart,..Ive bought those in a pinch waiting for my new pair to come in,....all in all I got about 2 months outta them.

Im not saying all these other boots are garbage, they arent, its just that my line of work absolutely destroys them in no time at all and they will prob serve 99% of people on here just fine for average use.

dainpstewart
07-16-2010, 09:58 PM
maybe you just need to find a different line of work...hahaha

Billy Golightly
07-16-2010, 10:16 PM
The Brahama's from Wal-mart have lasted longer than any other I've tried, thats been my experience with them.

cattle-dog
07-16-2010, 10:26 PM
i have worked constructionfo 28 years, mud,rocks,water,severe abrasive wear. the boots i have found to last longest are the military sand colored work boot, i have had a pair for 1 1/2 years now and its just getting bad.red wings are good for the average guy. georgias are also a great boot my favorite is the georgia ice-pick boots with removable ice-picks, water proof and very warm. best all around winter boot.

Aka_am
07-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Your timberlands fell apart? mine are indestiuctable, except the hardware where the laces are. About 4 have came out, and I have to reinsert and bend the tabs. mink oil them is the secret I think!

TheRealFatShady
07-16-2010, 11:41 PM
They used the be the best IMO, but these were new as of January???

Shows overhead view, both sides. I have a broken/some minor fractures + inflammation in my foot from a few weeks back, working 8 hr days in these ain't letting it get any better.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b253/videogamer2005/P7160318.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b253/videogamer2005/P7160319.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b253/videogamer2005/P7160320.jpg

Those are of EACH side, not the same one.

And yes, my cat came to play. I guess the lanyard on the camera got him in a playful mood.

300rman
07-17-2010, 01:32 AM
I like Wolverine boots, personally. Ive tried a few others, and the wolverines fit my feet the best, and are pretty tough. The only guys i see REALLY pushing the RED WING boot thing are union guys.

1grindking
07-17-2010, 11:47 AM
im not union lol but i have had 3pare of red wings in 12 yrs thats pretty good but the last 1s are barely broke in cuz i dont wear them every day any more cuz i dont do construction anymore but i think every1s feet are diff & diff type of wrk invironments... what wrks for 1 guy wont be the same for the next guy

MagicJames
07-17-2010, 11:57 AM
I had a $300 pair of Red Wings Thinsulate Waterproof boots and they lasted me almost 4 years. I LOVED them, I'm currently sporting some Dickies to get me by until i can afford to get some more Red wing boots.

Jerm1179
07-17-2010, 12:34 PM
i love my Timberlands...but in my opinion their "pro" series of boots suck...i bought a pair of KEEN work-hiker....most comfortable boot ive ever worn....and waterproof....so far they have held up great....

puggerton03
07-17-2010, 01:06 PM
I bought a pair of Red Wing boots a few months ago and they are the most comfortable boot I ever put on.

haggard 2hundie
07-17-2010, 04:48 PM
ive got a pair of doc martins low top steel toe shoe thats lasted at least 7 years of off and on wear and still comfortable.

Big Red Drew
07-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Justin Originals pull on. ive worn mine everyday for the last 2 years and there still goin strong... 140 bucks though... Red Wings are good too but Justins are more comfortable in my opinion.

code200k
07-17-2010, 08:01 PM
red wings. steel toe logger boots i dont log but these were cheap. because they are last years model

Mr.Atc
07-19-2010, 12:44 AM
go to walmart and pick up a set of brahamas for 50 bucks they last me a while and i work in the woods so they take a daily beating

Thorpe
07-19-2010, 09:37 AM
I have Redbacks. Australian work boots... Rocked my first set for 4 years in the fab. shop, and they are still going (not in the shop anymore) Liked them so much that I bought a pair in brown for day to day kickin around! Kinda expensive, 140 bucks a pair I think, but dang near bulletproof...

Mr_RPM
08-13-2010, 04:37 PM
I bought a pair of Red Wing boots a few months ago and they are the most comfortable boot I ever put on.
i just did this yesterday. i agree 110%
i put a nice coating of mink oil on them and they inherited a nice dark rich brown color. truly a beautiful boot.
i got the king toe with the composite safty toe instead of steel.
on sale for 122, or 130 out the door. retail of 160

i will never go back to caterpillar boots

obijuan
08-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Wolverine durashocks.

The Goat
08-13-2010, 04:54 PM
I've had wolverines and tiberlands, even steel toe doc martins.

My wolverines are still going. If you buy at tractor supply you can insure your boots for wear and tear. Get a new pair every six months. I've neve replaced my wolverines, they take a LONG time to break in though if you don't cheat.

You wet them, put em on and lace em up, then hit the bed, eight hours later you have a boot made for you. Then you mink oil paste the piss out of them.

vegas250rr
08-13-2010, 08:04 PM
I see that you have plenty of answers here but I too wear Georgia boots... I get them for 100 a pair. These have been my last 4 sets of boots
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/youngberg1/DSC00324.jpg
Sears has a sale right now
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_06784864000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

bigbadktm
08-14-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm another one for wolverines, my boss gave me his slightly worn old pair and they are great. I work constantly on my knees and drag my toes and have not cut through them yet. they are getting thinner at the toe without the steel toe to back them up, but I'm not a big fan of steel toes. real comfortable boot, probably buy another pair when these finally wear out

Pintowagon77
08-14-2010, 04:03 AM
-DISSCLAIMER- i put this in after typing post- I am REALLY hard on boots, i have never had any other pair of boots last longer than 4 moths and that was a $280 pair of Redwings and they hurt-

i get Danner's. they are hella comfortable and i have exchanged in 4 pairs, one after another. I wear them to ride in and i bring them in with a big hole in the inside of the right boot and big gnarly wear marks on the soles from the foot pegs. I bought a pair of the Quarry boots, not the standard knee highs, for $149 and have utilized the warrenty every time the year is up- ive pushed it to 14 months sometimes. That works out to less than $40 bucks for the best water-proof boots.

cr480r
08-16-2010, 06:41 AM
if you work your boots hard.. no cheap boot is gonna hold up.. i find georgia boots to be a good compromise of cost vs. quality.. and usually 10-15 bucks cheaper than an equivelant danner and practically identical. I often wonder if they came from the same factory?... my boots usually get pretty ratty after a year no matter what brand or what job i have.. if the goretex stays water tight past 6 mos i feel lucky.. my first set of danners were great, but i feel the quality has decreased in recent years and they are more stingy on warantee claims than before.. i had good luck with a pair of herman survivors from walmart, they arent nearly as rugged but they were comfy and worked well back when i worked at a tire shop

cenysweet
08-16-2010, 08:27 AM
I recommend Timberland brand is better.
Don't wash your boots daily. And keep it dry.

trikes4life
08-16-2010, 01:54 PM
the red wings are really good, i have personally never had a problem with them. And i also have a pair of military surplus boots which i love for everyday wearing.

TDS
08-16-2010, 02:35 PM
i got redwings i love them.

check out rockys as well

Pintowagon77
08-16-2010, 02:46 PM
i buy my Danners striaght from the factory in Portland Or, so i know i don't get the Chinese ones. Oh and a thing to know is find out what glue and thread is used on your boots. Danners have animal fat glue and non-synthetic stitching and heat will make the glue release and the fibbers to strech. One time on the boot dryer Danner's probly wont be water tight. Oh and Danners have different soles for different terrains- if you use the logging one on cement they were verry fast.

Pintowagon77
08-16-2010, 02:48 PM
oh and if my danners don't last longer than 6 months i get a new pair, should i start a poll: who works manual labor and has boots last longer than 6 months?- no need to answer