PDA

View Full Version : from gas to electricity, good way to piss people off

portland250r
07-18-2010, 03:26 AM
i have heard a lot about electric cars and have heard many people say they should quit running gas vehicles and go by electric energy.
i got some good reasons to keep gas vehicles around.

1, you have a gas car, lets say you werent allowed to run gas anymore so you lose money and have to buy a electric car

2, gas cars are much faster than electric cars

3, electricity is never going to be as strong and have as much torque as diesel

4, this would mean we wouldnt be able to run our 3 wheelers ever again and if they were seriouse they would take our cars, trucks, atv's, lawnmowers, dirt bikes, boats away from us.

5, our country would most likely go crazy and overthrow our people and government.

now i dont know what anyone has to say but i could see this happening in the future, but i dont know when.

now for the people who think this is a good thing(hopefully theres no one like that here)
going to gas from electricity would take money(thousands people have used to purchase their vehicles) and i dont even want to know what would happen next, people can be so selfish cause there was one person i talked to that said exactly what im talking about.
they said that gas should be illegal and we should not be allowed to run.

Mr_RPM
07-18-2010, 07:04 PM
first of all, as of right now where does most of our electricity come from? coal. so as of right now they have no big advantage on pollution control if EVERYONE went to electric. the demand would cause coal shortages just as we are dealing with oil shortages. what we need to do is some run gas, some run electric, some run ethanol...ect. if we spread it all out, building wind turbines, solar energy ect we can lesson our demand on oil.
we humans are looking for the 1 answer to give us energy to replace fossil fuels. but we cant just use one thing. if we combine all of our sources of energy including still using fossil fuels, the demand for 1 thing wont be to high because the power load will be spread between all different sources of power.
the government will never to a compete switch to any other power source unless it is completely 100% better than oil. that means cheaper and creates more energy thats also less pollutant.
if a complete switch were to happen it would take years to happen. like going from B/W TVs to color TVs. and the older tech will still be available just in moderation. jay leno once had the idea that we all drive energy efficient cars for our every day driving then use our old toy as a weekend rec thing. like today we use cars but we can still go back and ride horses.
do you get the idea? yeah electric cars suck, but northing lasts forever. eventually (i doubt our life time, theres oil out there, they just try scaring us) there will no longer be natural fossil fuels. and no matter how much better your diesel is, if theres no fuel it wont run.
we need to be less Dependant on one main source of energy and use many sources of energy in moderation so we don't simply kill off one thing and move to the next like locusts to a farm.

RIDE-RED 250r
07-18-2010, 10:27 PM
actually, an electric motor can accelerate much faster than internal combustion engines of much higher HP ratings. unlike the internal combustion engine, (as much as i hate to admit it) the power is instant, and there are no moving parts other than the rotor shaft........im no fan of going electric, but thats the truth.

It will be a loooooong time before oil is eliminated from our society/economy. its in almost EVERYTHING we consume at some level, not just the fuel we burn. the entire economy would have to be virtually re-tooled. think about everything from auto makers to the auto service and parts industry. these hydrogen fuel cell cars and electric cars are totally different and i would guess much more technologically sophisticated than the vehicles we drive now. think of the schooling and training the whole service industry would have to undergo. you would have to be part chemist, part physicist, part electrical engineer and part mechanical engineer to be able to diagnose and repair these automobiles.

The trick is getting rid of activist kook politicians so we can tap our own natural resources, be they oil, natural gas or coal...well, all of the above really. heck, the chinese are engaged in drilling down off cuba right now! why should they be able to tap into oil reserves and we are not? the big O-hole in the whitehouse has thumbed his nose to the fed judge that suspended the holy messiahs moritorium on off shore drilling due to tampered reports and documents AFTER the documents were signed???!! we are tying our own hands! But i also think its good to employ windfarms, hydro-electric and nuclear for generating electricity.

hancadam
07-18-2010, 10:41 PM
We will be electric at some point. Electric motors are better, just our current batteries suck. If extending battery range was not an issue, electric cars could be just as fast if not faster than gas. Look at RC cars for example. The new brushless systems blow away nitro.

Electric motors have extreme torque, thats why all traction motors on trains a electric. The diesel engines are just for generating electricity.

hancadam
07-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Also there are some real benefits to true electric cars if we get good enough batteries. Just think no drive line or transmissions to wear out. Electric motors could be direct drive.

Biggest thing that gets me though is I don't want a silent car or truck. Nothing better than a good exhaust.

RIDE-RED 250r
07-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Also there are some real benefits to true electric cars if we get good enough batteries. Just think no drive line or transmissions to wear out. Electric motors could be direct drive.

BINGO on both posts! those extremely large earth movers and dump trucks in strip mines run on diesel generated electric motors. once you get so massive with a piece of equipment, the inefficiencies of internal cumbustion engines and conventional drive trains are exentuated as compared to electric motor systems. naval ships, carriers and subs are the same principle, only their electricity is generated by on board nuclear reactors....way cool!

factoryX
07-18-2010, 11:03 PM
okay to clear some of the information up, oil isn't going anywhere. Oil is a natural resource that is formed from dead plankton, thats right plankton. Oil wells once empty are now full again. Also, Has anyone noticed how each time the gas prices went up they went back down immediately? As for electric cars like Tesla, yes they accelerate super fast but they weigh a freaking lot, and use most of the energy moving around. And it takes 10 plus hours to recharge, so it is completely useless. Whats even funnier is that most electric cars where not designed to drive on ice for example the prius, when it hits ice the electric brakes short out...LOL. But the biggest flaw with electric cars is that it causes more pollution to make than for you to drive your v8 bronco.

portland250r
07-19-2010, 12:25 AM
great point there electric cars cant operate in extreme weather conditions.

Vealmonkey
07-19-2010, 02:49 AM
And I guess there are no steam powered ships or gas turbine powered ships or diesel engine powered ships. The government would have a very tough time doing away with gasoline usage. I can't imagine the state and federal revenues generated by the sale of gasoline, let alone just the revenue just by moving the gasoline from storage tanks to gasoline stations. All those truck have tax stickers and license plates and other items that put money in state and federal bank accounts. Why do you think the government doesn't ban cigarettes? Too much money in taxes. Let alone all the money lobbyists throw at the government in legit and less than legit ways. As long as the government is making money, they won't cut their own throats. Why don't city, county and state vehicles get inspected? Half of them wouldn't pass inspections and the money it would take to get all them inspected and repaired to pass their own inspections would be astronomical. It really comes down to the governments mighty dollar, not you and me. And I really hope you don't think otherwise.

1grindking
07-19-2010, 02:06 PM
you all said it right on the nose but i still dont care for nuke power its just to messy & it never goes away imo its unnessary we could get by with wind & solar & petro
hey that could be the name of a band

JayBone
07-19-2010, 03:55 PM
I think your right with gas. It's not going anywhere anytime soon. But:
I'd take an elecrtic car in a heartbeat if it was made well and i could fix it myself sure!!. The perks to electric cars the body will be interchangable so at any givin time you can swap to a sports car or commuter or van. This is why homes became gigantic so the homes with 3 car garages can have different bodys in them and all you need are small lifts to raise a body to do the swap on a friday night. ha ha

You will have much less maintenance with electric if the car is built reliable and with quality parts. I hate auto parts stores. I worked one yrs ago.

Plus where i live i'd take anything electric because people here blow and i have to worry about noise. I understand you guys with the sweet V8 exhausts. I had them myself. Not you hondas with the lawnmower pipes. they suck!

I look forward to electric actually. I can't even imagine how much power they will be putting out on the 1/4 tracks. It will be very interesting as i get old and say geez gas cars never did that. ha ha!

300rman
07-20-2010, 10:37 PM
3, electricity is never going to be as strong and have as much torque as diesel

I cant even begin to tell you how retarded that statement is......TRAINS are driven by electric motors.......the diesel turns a generator which in turn runs the electric motors........

Audi has an experimental electric supercar concept......care to guess how much torque? 3,319 FT-LBS in an all-wheel-drive package.......

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2009-12/audis-electric-supercar

RIDE-RED 250r
07-20-2010, 10:56 PM
you all said it right on the nose but i still dont care for nuke power its just to messy & it never goes away imo its unnessary we could get by with wind & solar & petro
hey that could be the name of a band

say what???? the by-product is steam...AKA:water vapor. and of course the spent uranium. they used to use the spent uranium as the projectile (bullet) for the famous 30mm cannon on the nose of an A-10 surface attack jet, so how bad could it be to have crews handling it during transportation and then loading the stuff inot the plane. i think they are using a different material for that application now though....now, im not about to claim that the spent uranium is non-hazardous as im not a nuke tech. BUT, i have an uncle that is a nuclear operator (yeah, Homer Simpson's job, but hes not as dumb as Homer! lol) and i will ask him what they do with the spent uranuim and if its hazrdous.

if you ask me, nuclear has proven to be tough to beat for the amount of power generated and safety. ill get back to this when i find out a little more....

RIDE-RED 250r
07-20-2010, 10:57 PM
okay to clear some of the information up, oil isn't going anywhere. Oil is a natural resource that is formed from dead plankton, thats right plankton. Oil wells once empty are now full again. Also, Has anyone noticed how each time the gas prices went up they went back down immediately? As for electric cars like Tesla, yes they accelerate super fast but they weigh a freaking lot, and use most of the energy moving around. And it takes 10 plus hours to recharge, so it is completely useless. Whats even funnier is that most electric cars where not designed to drive on ice for example the prius, when it hits ice the electric brakes short out...LOL. But the biggest flaw with electric cars is that it causes more pollution to make than for you to drive your v8 bronco.

Plankton huh?? isnt he the guy that runs the Chum Bucket?? i thought i liked that guy!! lol!! ;):lol:

factoryX
07-21-2010, 01:33 AM
rofl, love that show. But yes it really is dead plankton. This is why I laugh when I hear that where going to run out of oil some day. IMO people have been watching to much mad max.

Vealmonkey
07-21-2010, 02:26 AM
Red-Rider, the by product of nuclear fission is not steam. People use the heat generated by nuclear fission to heat water to generate steam. Then the steam is actually in a double loop system. The first loop being heated by the fission process, the second loop is actually what moves the vanes in the turbines to generate power and make things move so all that equipment does not become contaminated by radiation. And reactor fuel "rods" have contained several different kinds of nuclear material. The spent fuel rods are generally contained on site in large pools of special "water" to keep the radiation levels down. There are problems of storage of the spent fuel rods as they do still have a level of radio activity left. And depending upon the element the half life or time that it takes for the radio active material to weaken to a point of half it's normal radio activity on some elements is over a hundred years. And that is just to half the point of it's spent radio active level. I spent a brief time with nuclear propulsion.

factoryX
07-21-2010, 03:07 AM
which brings us to helium 3 and why the moon race is such a big deal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium-3

Escanabajosh
07-21-2010, 01:10 PM
legalize industrial hemp and use hemp oil.

If the gov. would let our farmers grow it we could put it to so many uses. over 10,000 uses!

henery fords first model T ran on hemp, he even built a car in '41 that was 70% made of hemp fibers and ran on hemp!

we could grow all our own fuel (more then enough to meet curent demand) and never have to import oil again.

Mr_RPM
07-21-2010, 06:44 PM

oil is made from plankton yes, and all forms of carbon. but to create amounts of oil needed takes millions of years, like diamonds. oil will regenerate, just not nearly fast enough.
our planet has its was on fixing itself, i just believe we are the problem. If we cant live in a Ectoparasite mannor and continue to live in a Ectoparasitoid manner we are doomed.

1grindking
07-21-2010, 07:46 PM
the by product of nuclear fission is not steam... the half life or time that it takes for the radio active material to weaken to a point of half it's normal radio activity on some elements is over a hundred years. And that is just to half the point of it's spent radio active level. thanks for clearin that up vealmonkey. i dont know very much about nuke power but i know its conveniont & makes alot of power for a very long time thats why they run subs with it that can stay @ sea for yrs but thats if we dont care what we leave our kids to deal with...

factoryX
07-21-2010, 08:14 PM
I am simply pointing out facts, all I know is that oil wells that where big in the 50's-60's are now full again. Plankton is also a huge percentage of the ocean to begin with, with it being one of the major sources of oxygen(70%), so when they die where do they go? lol, oil if not fossil fuel. And nuclear power is the future. Sorry, but once helium 3 is mined off the moon it will solve all of are power problems. A box the size of a small bedroom would power your house, forever...lol

Vealmonkey
07-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Some of these concepts are just theories. Scientists at one thought when the atom bomb would be detonated, that it would cause a chain reaction that would end all life as it was known. Luckily that didn't happen, but atomic weaponry is still a humbling and horrendous to behold. There are scientists that believe the formation of oil deposits under the earths surface are just a natural by product of the constant ebb and flow of the molten products under the earths surface and will be continually renewable. Other scientists don't believe oil and gas and other items are not renewable. So alot is just theories and speculation. Alot of the scientific is still on the fence about Helium3. Many sceintists question what would happen when they fired up the worlds largest underground particle accelerator. Alot of ideas are simply letters and numbers in notebooks and computers and blackboards. Some are thoughts in the minds of people who are way smarter or crazier than I could ever imagine. Either way, I don't really think there is any 1 source that will be the magic answer for the worlds energy issues. It seems the world is too bent on doing stupid things as to worry about such things anyway.

factoryX
07-21-2010, 10:39 PM
but they have proven that oil is from plankton? helium 3 is the next big step, and with little of it on earth we need to get to the moon before india, russia, china, etc.. The reason why it would benefit us is the fact it is safe to handle, rather than uranium.