PDA

View Full Version : anyone into reloading?

plastikosmd
07-18-2010, 03:24 PM
a fun hobby that i picked up years ago, like I needed another. These days it does pay off. I usually can reload for about 1/4 to 1/3 of the shelf price.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/photo.jpg

jays375
07-18-2010, 07:57 PM
I do,have been doing it for 16 years.Good friend of mine got me into to it.That is when I went gun crazy sorta.Really started it do to the odd ball calibers I have that you just couldn't go out and buy ammo for.Plus the performance factor is what I really like.Never got into for the saving of money.Seeing that you have a 50cal you need to.I'll try to post some pictures of my bench later.

plastikosmd
07-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Naw, no 50. Maybe someday. That is a 338 lapua mag. Maybe better than the fifty as far as ballistics go, at least for non armor targets. Some Canadian sniper took out 2 targets at 1.5 miles! At 5 bucks a shot, good to reload, bout a buck after reload. Oddballs are great. I didn't do it for the savings but since Obama got in, it has helped. Lets see your bench. What press do you use?

Dirtcrasher
07-19-2010, 02:52 PM
My Grandfather was known to make some of the most accurate bullets available, I have his card somewhere. Jordan Bullets; I'll try to find the card.....

This was back about 1955 :D Hope your well Scott :beer

plastikosmd
07-19-2010, 05:54 PM
that would be cool to see DC.I should have the green monster this week then i am makin a trip your way. Got some 'goodies' for ya

harryredtrike
07-19-2010, 10:42 PM
i only shoot about a hundred dollars a month right now.its just not worth it yet

plastikosmd
07-20-2010, 06:49 AM
yea, the startup is not cheap. For a dillon progressive setup I would say you are lookin at 1k. About half that if you just use a single stage

bobotech
07-20-2010, 10:51 AM
I went nuts with reloading about 3 years ago. I have 2 Dillon progressives, 1 Hornady Lock and Load with the case feeder, Hornady Lock and Load single stage, and several more single stages used for other chores. I reload for about 15 different calibers. I bought a bunch of 4 or 8 pound jugs of powder, tons and tons of brass/primers/bullets. I'm sitting pretty for a long time.

plastikosmd
07-20-2010, 01:49 PM
wow, and I thought i was crazy....grin

Russell 350X
07-20-2010, 04:52 PM
bobotech, sounds like you have a similar setup as my dad. He reloads just about everything, he has dies for calibers he dosen't even own, but he reloads alot for other people.

edog
07-20-2010, 05:15 PM
I do...Redding!

jays375
07-22-2010, 07:54 PM
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/2413/1000112.jpg

plastikosmd
07-23-2010, 03:32 PM
nice! is that the 500 smith? friend has that..I got a freedom arms 454 (love it!) nice bench!!

jays375
07-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Nope went for the 460.Just liked being able to shoot cheaper and smaller stuff.Plus it is half the cost to reaload.Plus the animals here aren't that big.Still debating on scoping it,just to see how good it will shoot.The factory sights are tough at 100 yards.I have alot of Thompson Center Contenders,pistols and carbines.One is a 14 inch 445 Super Mag,that is awesome.I also have a 375 JDJ in a carbine set-up that is wicked too.My last item I purchased was a Ruger Blackhawk in a 357 Maxiumum.Now you see why I reload.The Freedom Arms pistols are very quality piece.That was another reason I bought the 460,it also shoots 454 Casul.I do really need to get out and do some shooting.

3Wheel_Gunner
07-23-2010, 10:44 PM
My Bench and gun room.

http://i26.tinypic.com/2rfqzvb.jpg
http://i28.tinypic.com/eq5cut.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/vnp1yb.jpg

plastikosmd
07-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Damn, I need to buy a broom after looking at that setup, phew...clean! Very nice! I like the attack cat sticker, had one of those once, boy do i miss him.

on the 460, nice round! I had a scoped 454 raging bull. I am also thinking of adding the scope back onto the FA. I do have to say that the scope, while not that heavy by itself, adds some weight when you are holding it outstretched. It also changes the natural balance of the gun (although many of these big ones are pretty muzzle heavy to start.) The freedom points like a regular revolver, and I am concerned about making it unwieldy like the Taurus felt.

Billy Golightly
07-24-2010, 10:58 AM
I know nothing about re-loading, but I've always been interested in it. I'd probably shoot a lot more if I did it. Whats a guy need to get started?

plastikosmd
07-24-2010, 02:08 PM
it really is not that hard. a book with loads and some info..there are plenty out there with basic info/loads, then a basic setup a press (many u can get used at pawn/gun store), single stage is cheapest way to start, die setup, some powder/primers/bullets and used brass. I even have a small lee hand press that u can use to reload just one caliber. Like everything, you can continue to expand as your need grows until u end up like us. It is a great winter hobby, as I do most of my shooting in the winter.

3Wheel_Gunner
07-24-2010, 03:33 PM
it really is not that hard. a book with loads and some info..there are plenty out there with basic info/loads, then a basic setup a press (many u can get used at pawn/gun store), single stage is cheapest way to start, die setup, some powder/primers/bullets and used brass. I even have a small lee hand press that u can use to reload just one caliber. Like everything, you can continue to expand as your need grows until u end up like us. It is a great winter hobby, as I do most of my shooting in the winter.

Also the safest as you have to go hands on with each round, easier to check the brass for defects and you are less likely to drop a double charge. TheRCBS Starter kit (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=646599&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=9315) is a great way to get started, it contains everything you need except dies, brass, powder primers and bullets.

jays375
07-24-2010, 05:59 PM
For the money getting started the Lee set-up works good.That is what I started with.I have alot of there dies and they work fine.I really don't want to scope the 460,hunting situations are tough.Hard to find a running animal in the scope.It is a really nice piece though.The trigger pull is really nice on it.Actually everything works very smooth on it.It isn't much more than a new 629 44 mag.Which I already have a very nice 29 Smith.I really need to get out shooting.With all this talk about guns is getting me excited.

plastikosmd
07-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Lol, ya was out with the 338 lapua mag yesterday, go have fun

yj350
07-25-2010, 12:17 AM
I started reloading about 10 years ago when I picked up my remington XP-100 in 7mm BR. I got a great deal on the gun but no commercial ammo is available for it. It has really payed off now I load for almost all my guns and since I shoot about once a week (I have a 100 yard range at my house) that savings has put a few guns in my safe.