PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a possible build.

DragonsBane
07-18-2010, 06:29 PM
I need some help with a possible build. I have a high horsepower XR500 motor I salveged from my high speed dump in the desert awhile ago. Powroll stroker crank, 540 bigbore kit, aftermarket cam, and a host of other goodies. Works out to around 628 cc's

I see alot of people using the XR frames to create their own three wheelers. What is involved with adapting the swingarms and the triple trees to the dirt bike frame? Do they more or less bolt in? Or is machining required? If machining is required that is not a problem since I am a machinist and a certified welder.

TexFest
07-19-2010, 10:59 PM
you could just build your own frame, but that might get expensive or get a xr500 frame and build a new subframe to get the correct ride height and add 350x triple trees on the front. Also you could get a 450r swinger on ebay, there's plenty of them on there and they're cheap also.

just an idea, i'm sure some other people on here will have some good ideas also

DragonsBane
07-19-2010, 11:36 PM
TexFest,

That was what I was looking for. I have a second XR500 I bought for parts and I picked up a nearly complete 350X chassis for nothing thinking I could put the other XR500 motor in it. Looks like this is going to get interesting.

TexFest
07-20-2010, 12:09 AM
TexFest,

That was what I was looking for. I have a second XR500 I bought for parts and I picked up a nearly complete 350X chassis for nothing thinking I could put the other XR500 motor in it. Looks like this is going to get interesting.

the 350x chassis would need alot of mods for the 500 to fit, just do some searches on here and you could find plenty of info on what youre looking for

jeddy
07-20-2010, 01:58 PM
You'd be better off modifying the 350X frame to fit the 500 motor. It'll handle much better than a bike frame. If you do use a bike frame, for my 600X (XR600 frame), I pushed out the 350X stem in the triple, and pushed out the stock XR600 stem. I had to build up some weld and then turn it back down to make it a press fit into the lower triple, but then I could use the stock XR bearings and stem height. The triples were spaced about an inch further apart than a 350X, so with the headlight on it looks a little different. For the swingarm, I copied the XR600 geotmetry in steel so I could then weld it to a 350X bearing carrier that I had. I made a jig to position the carrier for the correct offset, which was the hardest part of the build but was still pretty easy. You can find some pictures of my 600X if you search around. I did sell it though since I now have a Ban-Z (Tri-Z with Banshee engine) and am working on a 440X (440 400EX engine into 350X). You might pick up on the fact that my two new builds use STOCK geometry becuase they handle so much better. The 600X was a hand full to ride. It was doable, and I got pretty good on it, but it was defintely harder to ride than a 350X.

Good luck, always interesting to see something different. Try not to listen much to the people who tell you it's a bad idea. If that was true then none of us would even be interested in three wheelers...

DragonsBane
07-20-2010, 03:39 PM
The handling problem makes me wonder if it would be worth it to just cut the neck loose and weld it back together with a steeper angle. I may just rebuild the X too. If I can find a decently priced motor.

jeddy
07-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Well, the other problem with a bike frame is that they tend to sit lower and the distance between the seat and the pegs is much longer. So even if you altered your steering angle, you'd still have a bit of an awkard stance with limited ground clearance.

DragonsBane
07-20-2010, 04:33 PM
jeddy,

what I'm looking at is using the XR500 motor I have. It was done up years ago and is an extremely powerful motor. Powroll stroker, 540 bigbore kit, aftermarket cam (can't remember specs), ported FT500 head, pumper carb, and a few other minor mods. It works out to around 628 c.c.'s and well over 60 horse. I crashed in the desert awhile ago and totally trashed the bike and me. I really think it would be bucket loads of fun in a three of four wheeled chassis.

I'll have to look at both chassis and see what needs done to fit the XR motor and see if it is worth it. Where there is a will there is a way.

DragonsBane
07-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Found this.

http://www.honda350x.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1431

Has a short video on page 6. This is definitely a go as soon as I get the garage cleaned out. Once I get started I'll keep everyone updated with lots of pics.