PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone

kawasaki_bc
07-18-2010, 07:20 PM
ok hey everyone my names brantly and im originally from arizona and now living in san diego. i grew up on 2 wheels not gonna lie but was recently givin a 1985 kawasaki t3 for nothing. I dont know to much about these things other than they r a blast to ride. So any information on these would be appreciated or point me to the forums that know the most. As of right now i need an intake boot to at least see if this thing will start up and they seem to be hard to find. heres a couple of pics of it now and the couple of little things ive done to it

jeswinehart
07-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Welcome aboard Bc.
Nice score on the freebie.
I reproduce those intake boots so when you are ready to purchase, let me know via PM.

john

MonroeMike
07-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Welcome to the board.

http://tecateprojects.com/manuals.htm

johnborthayre
07-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Welcome Brantly. I just finished restoring my 86 ATC250R. I am not a mechanic by any means but I know how to unbolt things and put them back together.
I found Google searches to work the best. I would use 1985 KXT250 or 85 Tecate to get the best reults in your case. A lot of searches will bring you back to this site. There is a wealth of knowledge here. Your Green Rocket is a rare commodity these days so you might have to do careful searching.
If you are serious about getting it running...think about these things...(not in order)
-Strip it down to check all hoses (coolant), gas lines, electrical connections etc.
-The carb and tank should be cleaned(maybe rebuilt with kit), crankcase oil changed, antifeeze etc.
-The brakes will most likely be frozed depending on how long it has been sitting. Getting master cylinder rebuild kits can fix this and are cheap.
-Forks seals will mostly likely need to be replaced.
-Chain should definitely be replaced
-Brake pads should be replaced. Calipers may be in good shape
-Check the bearings.....does is roll okay...with no friction (with chain removed). Do the suspension links creak or groan?

Two strokes are pretty forgiving. Mine started up on the second kick after I got all of the basics installed. I then went on to get new plastics and other componets. I believe I spent about $1K getting mine running and looking new. (mostly looking new cost the most)

Good luck and let me know if you need any tips when you get into it!

John B

thestud25
07-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Welcome to the boards. Way to get into trikes the right way!!!!!!