PDA

View Full Version : Toyota 2JZ VVTi help

WilliamJ
07-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Is there anyone on here who knows anything about the Toyota / Lexus 2JZ 6 cylinder engine - specifically the VVTi operation? It works on the inlet cam only.

I think I have got problems with mine :(- there's this intermittent loud rattle at low revs (sounds a bit like a diesel engine). Definitely not the auxiliary stuff as I took off the belt and the noise is still there.

I have tried the usual car forums but it seems technical detail isn't their kind of thing.

If anyone has any experience of these....:wondering

Bill

dcreel
07-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Have you had your valves adjusted lately? Have you ever heard a 22r on startup? It idles like a diesel until the oil hits the cylinder head.

WilliamJ
07-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Does sound a bit like that.....but it was quiet as a mouse until a couple of weeks ago. Suddenly it started to be noisy - sounded like a bearing noise at first and thought it might be the cam belt tensioner so I changed the belt and tensioner but no improvement. It is weird though, you let it idle in neutral and it's noisy, engage drive (still at idle) and the noise goes away. Turn on the a/c or a lot of electrical and the noise returns.

That's why I'm thinking it's VVTi. But no one seems to know how the VVTi is operated - and Lexus want a banker's bonus to even look at it.

smokinwrench
07-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Good luck on that I have a 92 sc400 with the v8 and had a terrible time getting stuff figured out. I finely found good info on lextreme but just pulled it up and its a v8 forum only.

WilliamJ
07-22-2010, 05:54 PM
I should have got a V8.......maybe they have the same VVTi system with one on each bank - lextreme is it? I'll pretend I have a V8 then!

zppeacock
07-22-2010, 11:06 PM
Take it to a toyota dealer. Way cheaper and same information.