PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a Buell?

fabiodriven
07-23-2010, 09:26 AM
I'm going today to look at an '09 Buell XB12. I think it may be some special edition or something, I forget exactly what model it is. I've never liked Harley's and have never swung a leg over anything with a Harley motor in it, so this is a completely new experience for me. I can spin a wrench pretty good but have never touched a Harley engine.

Any opinions?

Mr_RPM
07-23-2010, 12:58 PM
dont do it. lol to me they are pathetic. so in the moto gp series all in inline 4 cylinders run 1000s. ducati which also runs a twin like buel keeps up with 1200cc. then buel with there 1300s cant keep up at all so they race there own class lol.

thats my only reasonings lol it could be a great bike im just stubborn.

oh and its a Harley....ewwwww lol

but if you make a race bike with the biggest engine you think they would be as fast as maybe the 600 class, but nope Harley just doesn't care or have the tech to do it
again thats just me being stubborn and prejudice lol

fabiodriven
07-23-2010, 01:13 PM
I couldn't agree with you more RPM. I have noticed for a younger guy and a newb that your posts always seem very intuitive and I think you're a smart kid. I usually end up agreeing with whatever you post.

I really agree with you about Harleys. I have always hated them and I always mock my friends who have them. They're loud, heavy, obnoxious, leaky, underpowered, and ugly. It seems strange to me that I would like Buells, but I do. I love the look of them. You have to remember that the company was only 26 years old when they shut the doors and they won an AMA championship or some shite like that in '09. That's pretty good for a 26 year old company.

Thanks for your input.

oldskool83
07-23-2010, 01:17 PM
got a friend that works as a mechanic at a HD dealer. he has had nothing good to say about the buells. they are kinda pricey for what they are too.
they are not fast bikes by anymeans, they just look faster due to the styling. I do know they stopped making them, prob never again either if thats a concern of yours? i dont know what you want in a motorcycle but their are better models out there from other mfg's that will give no hassels for years to come. maye you'd want to look into a SV650/1000 or older Tl1000's from suzuki? all very good bikes.

i own a RC51 that i upgraded from a cbr929rr. i will say if you want a V-twin they are alot more fun then a inline 4 i personly feel now.

fabiodriven
07-23-2010, 01:33 PM
I have heard nothing but good about the Buells myself.

Harley claims that although they shut Buell down, they will continue to produce parts so that doesn't bother me.

For the kind of riding I do, I think a Buell would be perfect. I like to do wheelies and fly around on back roads but I rarely go over 120 mph. I'm not much of a high speed rider. I'm sure you would get more bang for your buck with a Japanese v-twin, but I like the Buell.

Mr_RPM
07-23-2010, 01:37 PM
I couldn't agree with you more RPM. I have noticed for a younger guy and a newb that your posts always seem very intuitive and I think you're a smart kid. I usually end up agreeing with whatever you post.

I really agree with you about Harleys. I have always hated them and I always mock my friends who have them. They're loud, heavy, obnoxious, leaky, underpowered, and ugly. It seems strange to me that I would like Buells, but I do. I love the look of them. You have to remember that the company was only 26 years old when they shut the doors and they won an AMA championship or some shite like that in '09. That's pretty good for a 26 year old company.

Thanks for your input.

755 posts later, im still a newb. ill go back to my corner.....:(::cry:

....:lol: just messin and thanks for thinking I'm SMRT

fabiodriven
07-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Upon further review of the Buell's AMA championship win I am not all that impressed. The Buell 1125R was competing with 600cc Japanese bikes, roughly double the displacement of the competition. To further cloud this already confusing situation, the Ducati 1098 was not allowed to compete. I guess there is a lot of controversy with this subject and rightfully so in my opinion.

Mr_RPM
07-23-2010, 01:56 PM
but all in all your not racing. and i have learned its not all about speed to have fun (im mean im in love with my lil 110). it might be a fun bike that fits your needs just perfectly. Harley is a big company that has been proven to make a solid engine. maybe not the best designed or the most powerful. but for someone who likes to take care of their bike and has a little technical skill Harley's have proven to be great everyday drivers that can last decades. Im not sure if buells are directly made like Harley but im sure they are fun peppy sport bikes with the rumble of a Harley.

oldskool83
07-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Only thing i like about buells are the belt drive, i wish more bikes would go that route, think of cleaness!!!!!!!!

Leadfoot71
07-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Upon further review of the Buell's AMA championship win I am not all that impressed. The Buell 1125R was competing with 600cc Japanese bikes, roughly double the displacement of the competition. To further cloud this already confusing situation, the Ducati 1098 was not allowed to compete. I guess there is a lot of controversy with this subject and rightfully so in my opinion.

Ooooh boy does this topic bring up some heated debates on my cycle forum! Lol! All-in-all though, that's just politics and has nothing to do with the cycle itself.

I agree with Mr RPM though, it's not all about racing. If speed is the only thing that matters, a heavily hot-rodded, 11 second Honda Civic would be more desireable than an old Ferrari Testarossa or Lamborghini Countach. We all know that's not the case!

I have a '09 Suzuki DR650 dual sport and I have a BLAST on it! The thing loves gravel roads, gets 60 mpg, and was very affordable. Riding down the highway feels illegal because it's like a big dirt bike. Fun, fun fun!!! I'd love to own a Buell but would have to ride one first. I suggest that's what you should do. Ride one, then decide.

fabiodriven
07-25-2010, 10:07 PM
I bought it.

cattle-dog
07-25-2010, 10:38 PM
didnt harley race thier own cafe racer way before buell and did very well i think?. just thinking a dont own a harley

ATC-Eric
07-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Time for pictures!

oldskool83
07-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Pics or it didnt happen

fabiodriven
07-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Pics or it didnt happen

Lol- I can't pick it up for a week to ten days.

3wheelmecca
07-26-2010, 10:27 PM
A wise choice. I Work on Harleys/ Buells myself. I only have one problem. It seems the shifter pawls are weak, watch out for a mis shift on a higher mileage buell. Sporties seem to not have it.

Mr_RPM
07-27-2010, 12:03 PM
remember, you went into this not being a Harley guy. don't come out of it becoming one.
STAY TRUE!!!!!!!!!!

=P haha :lol:

fabiodriven
07-27-2010, 12:25 PM
The difference between a Harley and a vacuum is the vacuum has the dirtbag on the inside. :lol::D

Mr_RPM
07-27-2010, 12:35 PM
The difference between a Harley and a vacuum is the vacuum has the dirtbag on the inside. :lol::D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

jays375
07-27-2010, 08:48 PM
I really don't know what racing had to do with this.If you are going to ride it on the street.From what I saw of the earlier Buells weren't that great.Been around alot of bikes and owned a few.Knew a guy who was a bike nut,bought a new one every few years.He hated it,even left the keys in hoping it would get stolen.This guy has ridden for a long time.Personally I wouldn't buy one,heard there is still issues with them.Would really consider one of the V-Twin Jap models.I owned a SV-650 for a while and loved it.On the secondary roads it was a blast,more fun than a inline 4 cylinder.Ive rode a few of the jap V-Twins and liked them all.Never rode a Buell just because guys I know tried them and hated them.These guys were riders and were very serious.They all had track time,even drag raced.Not just out on the street blowing wheelies and other stuff.If they weren't riding they were wrenching .Improving whatever bike they owned at the time.Probally spent more time with a bike on the dyno than people had one on the road.

fabiodriven
07-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Lighten up newb. I was merely speculating on the racing thing. It had nothing to do with my decision.

As far as a Jap v-twin, if you had taken the time to read all of the posts carefully you would have seen where I said-

For the kind of riding I do, I think a Buell would be perfect. I like to do wheelies and fly around on back roads but I rarely go over 120 mph. I'm not much of a high speed rider. I'm sure you would get more bang for your buck with a Japanese v-twin, but I like the Buell.

I am no stranger to street bikes either, but my street bike tastes are a bit eclectic. I have had about four or five street bikes and my last three were a Yamaha RD 400, a Ducati Monster 750, and a Triumph Sprint RS, respectively. Although the Jap bikes are powerful and cheap, they are not exciting. They are cookie-cutter bikes. If you've seen one SV you've seen them all. I have never stopped what I was doing to gawk at an R1 as it passed by, or stared at a CBR and drooled over its beauty. Different people buy different bikes for different things. That's why they make different bikes.

For the record, you are the first (no lie) person who I have found who has had anything bad to say about Buells. I have looked online and talked to plenty of people in person and haven't found anyone besides you who has had one bad thing to say about them.

jays375
07-28-2010, 06:09 PM
You don't buy a sport bike for looks,it's all about the performance.A SV is nothing to look at,pretty ugly.Mine had alot of polishing and add-ons,still corny looking.If you want something that people look at you need a classic bike.That is where I am now and people really look.My first restored bike actually made it onto a calendar.Just starting my second one.I have had alot of bikes cbrs,old streetbikes,and did the enduro thing for awhile.Acutally have more fun where I am at now.Almost bought a VFR or a BMW,but quit riding for a while.One thing is for sure your type of riding won't get you far.Either you will loose your liscense or even worse will happen.One thing I forgot to mention,if they were a good bike why quit making them?Good luck with your Buell.

atcrider1
07-28-2010, 06:19 PM
id love to have a buell but dont have the cash for one right now, i dont mean to off topic but got any pics of the rd400, i gotta soft spot for the old 2 strokes.

fabiodriven
07-28-2010, 06:20 PM
.One thing is for sure your type of riding won't get you far.Either you will loose your liscense or even worse will happen.One thing I forgot to mention,if they were a good bike why quit making them?Good luck with your Buell.

Take it easy man... I'm trying to keep my cool here with you.

I have been riding street for 14 years. I had my bike license before I even got my license to drive a car. Shite happens on the street that is out of your hands and god forbid anything like that happen to me, but I haven't ever dropped a street bike. I really don't like you suggesting that.

Harley stopped making Buells purely for $$$ reasons, and that's it. It had nothing to do with the bike itself.

fabiodriven
07-28-2010, 06:23 PM
id love to have a buell but dont have the cash for one right now, i dont mean to off topic but got any pics of the rd400, i gotta soft spot for the old 2 strokes.

I have very few pics of it, and they're all on regular pictures I think. My buddy still owns it. I'll have to see if he has any pictures.

tanks350x
07-28-2010, 06:31 PM

Is that right?.. You calling me a dirt bag?

fabiodriven
07-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Is that right?.. You calling me a dirt bag?

I was waiting for you to chime in Roy!:lol::lol::lol:

jays375
07-28-2010, 06:51 PM
I never said anything about your ability,it was your style.That stuff isn't safe on back roads.People these days just don't pay attention,busy on the phone.Or just don't drive safe.Myself have been a liscensed rider for close to 20 years.Seen alot of accidents do to riping around back roads and blowing wheelies.One guy just about lost his leg because of it.Me myself came very close to losing my liscense,been there done with that.

tanks350x
07-31-2010, 09:07 AM
Just remember john, you aren't going to be able to turn the revs that you are used to, on that buell.. I'm not sure if you are aware of this fact or not but, that engine has push rods like an older style car engine..I'm not sure what the rpm capabilities are on a buell but, I know that my bike starts red line at 5,500, and has a rev limit of 6,200, I think.. Think about it, how fast would these jap bikes be if they couldn't turn 12-15,000 rpm's???? Not very, I'm thinking... The way I look at it is, the speed limit is 65 around here anyway.. Just my .02 johnny boy... Either way, good luck with it...

Dirtcrasher
08-01-2010, 12:35 AM
I'd be dead at 10,000 RPMS........ :lol:

At least Johnny has a chance :D And he deserves it!

tanks350x
08-03-2010, 05:40 PM
So where is this beast? Lets go for a cruise before the summer is over...

fabiodriven
08-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Believe me Roy, I'm chompin at the bit here. I've got three, count 'em- THREE broads lined up for rides and I don't even have the bike yet. They said a week to ten days last Monday so today is day 8. We'll see.