PDA

View Full Version : Good price or not??? 85 250SX

parker88
08-07-2010, 02:10 AM
What do you guys think about this deal? He said he would take $750 cash...http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/1828957297.html

parker88
08-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Whats everyone think? This will be my first three wheeler but it looks pretty clean for 25 years old. Im goin to look at it in person tomarrow morning.

whyzee
08-07-2010, 01:30 PM
would like to see the original tank on it , but the tires alone make up for that. It looks really clean. see if he has the thumb throttle for it. For $750, if the electric start works, I wouldn't hesitate at all !! Great looking trike ! go for it !
If the electric start does not work, find out if it is just the battery . Some well educated people on these boards say the 250SX does not like to be kick started for ever.
If the elec starter doesn't work , offer $650 and try and settle at $700 ;)

parker88
08-07-2010, 03:46 PM
would like to see the original tank on it , but the tires alone make up for that. It looks really clean. see if he has the thumb throttle for it. For $750, if the electric start works, I wouldn't hesitate at all !! Great looking trike ! go for it !
If the electric start does not work, find out if it is just the battery . Some well educated people on these boards say the 250SX does not like to be kick started for ever.
If the elec starter doesn't work , offer $650 and try and settle at $700 ;)

Yeah if i get it hes giving me the original tank so i might just sale the tank to get a thumb throttle. How much could i expect to get for an oem 85 250sx tank. Im not sure about the condition of the oem tank. If I do buy it tomarrow its gonna be a well used trail machine so im not gonna go all out restored or anything. What kind of exhaust should i try to get for it? I saw a cobra on denniskirk but ive heard bad things about them...I had one on an old yamaha warrior and it was deffinately loud but it had a nice sound too it. Oh and the guy said the electric start dosent work...he said a new battery will fix it but i guess ill just have to see for my self when I get it...lol

whyzee
08-07-2010, 03:53 PM
if it's just a battery, definitly go for it ! It's a nice looking low hour bike. Leave the stock exhaust on it. You just can't beat how quiet it is and the sx has perfect power / suspension balance . If you could find a Supertrapp exhaust for it ,jump on it. Stay away from the cobra. Cobra = loud junk !

parker88
08-07-2010, 04:10 PM
if it's just a battery, definitly go for it ! It's a nice looking low hour bike. Leave the stock exhaust on it. You just can't beat how quiet it is and the sx has perfect power / suspension balance . If you could find a Supertrapp exhaust for it ,jump on it. Stay away from the cobra. Cobra = loud junk !

Thanx for the advise man...Ive been into dirtbikes and fourwheelers for a whille now but this 3 wheeler stuff is a little different. Exspecially when its an 85 model...lol

whyzee
08-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanx for the advise man...Ive been into dirtbikes and fourwheelers for a whille now but this 3 wheeler stuff is a little different. Exspecially when its an 85 model...lol

I have the exact same model. I love it. probably the best trail/woods bike Honda made!

250sxman
08-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Some people may ride you a little for keeping the trail pro's, they are a heavy tire, but when I first bought my '85 sx a few years ago, thats what it had on it, and IMHO besides the heaviness, the tires are pretty great. Good luck with the trike. I love mine. And if that tanks ends up being worth something, let me know, I need one for mine. 650-700 seems like a fair deal. I gave 300 for mine, and the seat is trash and the fenders are rough, although it did (still does) have the 200x front end swap. An everstart battery can be had from Rural King for 15 bucks (plus a 4 dollar core) and they work great, having electric start is pretty awesome (even if I have to jump the solenoid LOL)

whyzee
08-07-2010, 05:38 PM
the tanks usually fetch around $30-$50 depending on condition. If it is flawless, it could be worth $200

cattle-dog
08-07-2010, 07:30 PM
buy it i just sold my nice 85 sx for 1100 with trail-pro tires on the back!!!!! i actually liked them they seemed to be a good all around good mud/snow/dirt tire, and definatly a great trail trike.

whyzee
08-07-2010, 07:50 PM
awww... cattle dog, you sold your SX :(

TheTrikeKid
08-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Yea I seen it its worth it

dksix
08-07-2010, 10:58 PM
I saw this one earlier, looked like a cherry. It's on the K-ville CL too. What are the 250sx's like to ride?

whyzee
08-08-2010, 08:52 AM
250sx's are described as the cadillac of ATC'S. Plush, powerful, great looking, but also big , sofa like. IMO they are the best woods/trail atc made. If the trails are a little more open, you will want a 350X

cattle-dog
08-08-2010, 09:40 PM
you will not be disappointed in a sx for a trail machine, they are one of the best, buy it dont wait. yes i sold my custom powdercoated sx. i will get another more stock appearing sx. and make sure to ride that sx in the snow they love it, almost floating on top as you rip across the fields. cattle-dog

parker88
08-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Well I got the 250sx yesterday and its awesome. It runs good looks good and it deffinately keeps me on my toes when im riding it...lol
I have a couple questions about the things that are wrong with it though...
The back brakes dont work. The lever on the handle bars and the foot brake lever neither one have any pull in them...Im not sure exactly what i need. (adjust the levers?)
Also it has a plastic gas tank on it and the seat is raising up on the front...(see pic) Any ideas on how i could get the seat to lay down like it should.
I was also wanting to put some holeshot style tires on the back and I was wondering if I left the big front tire on the front would it handle bad? What size rears should i get?
sry for all the questions but im ready to get this thing fixed up...lol

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u351/parker88-photo/honda250sxseat.jpg

whyzee
08-09-2010, 05:54 PM
congrats on your bike !!! it looked like it was a nice one. I would charge the battery orbuy a new one first. Once you have electric start, it's hard to go back ;)
Your brakes need adjusting. unscrew the barrel adjuster by the levers to take up slack . and screw in the wing nut while holding the other nut with a 10mm wrench, down by the drums. front and rear
as far as the other questions , Let me see some more pics first

parker88
08-09-2010, 11:07 PM
I was also wanting to put some holeshot style tires on the back and I was wondering if I left the big front tire on the front would it handle bad? What size rears should i get?

parker88
08-11-2010, 12:17 AM

BIGREDGUY
08-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Nice sx you dot there.