PDA

View Full Version : New from East Tennessee

dksix
08-07-2010, 06:19 PM
I just recently found the site a few days after buying my first (but long awaited) ATC 200x, a 1984. I had wanted a the wheeler since the first ATC90 that an aunts boyfriend owned. Being born in 1970 and coming from a motorcycle owning family, I wanted a 3 wheeler but dad had heard too many stories about people getting hurt and it was a no go for me. I had owned a motorcycle since I was 4 starting on a Z50 to the age of 14 when I got my "motor scooter" (under 125cc) license and owned a 1978 Honda CT100 Scambler. It wasn't much of a trail bike and I put street tires on it, since I rode it everywhere. That's when dad finally agreed to helping me get a 3 wheeler. It was a 200x (81-82 model) and dad being the avid motorcycle rider he was going to test drive it for me. Dad drank and was drinking during the so called test drive......you see where this is going right? If you're thinking "out of the parking lot, across the road, off the bridge and into the creek with the act on top of dad", you get a gold star. LOL On the way home (without the ACT) dad told me I'd never own one of those things if he had anything to say about and I said, "yea, someday". Shortly there after dad helped me get a GS250 Suzuki street bike and a well worn non running Elsinore 125.
The someday came about 2 weeks ago when I was going to buy a donor quad for a mini buggy project I'm working on. Off in the woods was a 200x, that I asked about and ended up buying. It was not running, was told it locked down but now was spinning but wouldn't fire. I brought it home and after 26 years of waiting on this bike, I figured the buggy could wait it's turn.
Through the years the hobby's have changed from dirt bikes to guns and gunsmithing to cars and now buggy's. With the hobby's comes the tools and even when the hobby leaves, the tools stay and I have a pretty well equipped shop as well as running a home powder coating business that I'm building into retirement income. I've worked at the same company since I got out of high school since 88 and plan to retire at 30 years and have the powder coating shop build into a full time business by then.
Other than that I'm pretty much just a normal laid back country boy, what I like to call a redneck hippie, lol . The engine is at the engine shop, the top end parts came today and the frame is in the blaster, ready for me to decide what colors I want to use. I'll do a build thread to date something this weekend and might need some advice on cosmetic choices, since I'm not doing an OEM restore. This is going to be what the one that ended up in the creek that day would have been if it would have made the trip home.

MonroeMike
08-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Welcome to the site.

Dznutts
08-08-2010, 03:32 AM
Welcome bro.
Man I really liked Tenn. Me & my wife would always go down there when we where living inKentucky 2 yeas ago.
Theres a lot of really good car shows over there, and theres that awesome Circle Yer Wagns Vw car show.
I kinda miss being in Kentucky now.... .!