PDA

View Full Version : TRX450R vs. YFZ450

ATC crazy
09-13-2003, 10:11 PM
Well, here is a good comparison. They both look pretty killer. What do you think?

I like the TRX better....

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/itfigures/450vrs450.jpg

350Xccelerator
09-13-2003, 10:45 PM
I can't decide :?

hrc200x
09-14-2003, 12:24 AM
I like the HOnda from the front, the yami from the rear even though it looks kinda cluttered, plus it looks like it sits higher. Too bad the honda doesn't have Rezzy shocks in front. But I'd still take the honda I guess.

J.D.
09-14-2003, 02:09 PM
I like the Yammy better.

yater
09-14-2003, 05:22 PM
right now it's hard to argue that the yami dominates. Once the hondas get out and people are riding them things might be different. It's impossible to bash either of those machines. Both are really badass.

YAMAHA_Jim
09-14-2003, 09:08 PM
Both are awesome machines. I'd buy a yamaha first though :)
Why is it that most of the the new ATV's have eyes and plastic molded out to resemble some wild creature.I also wonder why Yamaha didnt give the 450 an animal name like the raptor banshee badger wolverine grizzly or big bear????

Wickedfinger
09-14-2003, 11:45 PM
If I was in charge of naming the machines at Yamaha .... I'd name the new YZF450 the "Otter" and when they asked me why I chose that name, I'd just burp in there face and yell out "WHY NOT!!!"

TimSr
09-15-2003, 11:37 AM
Both are awesome machines. I'd buy a yamaha first though :)
Why is it that most of the the new ATV's have eyes and plastic molded out to resemble some wild creature.I also wonder why Yamaha didnt give the 450 an animal name like the raptor banshee badger wolverine grizzly or big bear????

That struck me as off too. Maybe they are running out of animals. Theyve taken nearly every predatory animal name for quads already. If I were in Yamaha marketing, Id have called it "The Carnivore".
In Hondas case, Id have stuck with 450EX or 450XR. For some reason, just R after anything triggers two stroke visions.

yater
09-15-2003, 12:42 PM
In honda's case, they really needed to let people know that this was NOT the 450ex. Honda freaks have been switching to the yami because the 400ex is a long outdated ride. I think both wanted to stress that this is something new--hence the name changes

ejc042
09-15-2003, 12:46 PM
I like the look of the Honda better, but I agree 450XR would have been a better moniker. 450R makes one wish for a two stroke 450.

mkramm
09-15-2003, 02:27 PM
There already was a carnivore by another company isnt there? I would have named the yami Gamera & the Honda Godzilla...looks like that kind of epic battle is about to begin. 8)

MR ATC
09-15-2003, 07:08 PM
Too bad the honda doesn't have Rezzy shocks in front. But I'd still take the honda I guess.

you need to look again the resevoirs are behind the shocks.

trikeman
09-15-2003, 07:54 PM
yea i am liking the honda in the front, and the yamaha in the back, i dont really like the yamaha headlights.

350Xccelerator
09-15-2003, 08:01 PM
the trx450r looks like its from the year 2020 lol. i like it though, but i like the yfz450 too.

200xer
09-15-2003, 10:15 PM
i was just gonna post that Mr ATC. Honda put the resevoirs behind the shocks so they don't get hit by anything.

TimSr
09-15-2003, 11:08 PM
yea i am liking the honda in the front, and the yamaha in the back, i dont really like the yamaha headlights.

Thats good because the back of the Yamaha is the only part you Honda guys are going to see anyways.

350Xccelerator
09-15-2003, 11:15 PM
do they cost the same?

bigred110
09-16-2003, 01:46 AM
do they cost the same?

The honda is $400 cheaper then the yama

TimSr
09-16-2003, 09:31 AM
???? One question for all you guys hyping up the Honda TRX450R

Have any of you actually ridden one, or even seenone being ridden? What are you basing your opinion on? How do you know how great they are? They look good on paper, but Id caution against jumping to conclusions about something that hasnt proven itself yet. I remember all the hype about some other new quad that was going revolutionize ATV riding as we know it, and it looked great on paper too. It turned out to be decent quad, but fell far short of the hype that came before it. The TRX450R might be an awesome performer, but it might also be Honda's Raptor.

Jeb
09-16-2003, 04:28 PM
I still think the yamaha looks like one of those gremlins from the front. remember that movie from the early 80's? The lights are the eyes, the fenders the ears, and the front frame the triangular shaped head. :shock:

I think it looks better than the Honda. But thank GOD for both!

ejc042
09-16-2003, 04:31 PM
I just hope because it looks like a gremlin doesnt mean it will die like one

ATC crazy
09-16-2003, 08:14 PM
Thats good because the back of the Yamaha is the only part you Honda guys are going to see anyways.

LOL....I think you have got it all backwards... :D

Wickedfinger
09-17-2003, 02:43 PM
...yeah, that would suck if they exploded into a fireball everytime they got wet.
???? One question for all you guys hyping up the Honda TRX450R

Have any of you actually ridden one, or even seenone being ridden? What are you basing your opinion on? How do you know how great they are? They look good on paper, but Id caution against jumping to conclusions about something that hasnt proven itself yet. I remember all the hype about some other new quad that was going revolutionize ATV riding as we know it, and it looked great on paper too. It turned out to be decent quad, but fell far short of the hype that came before it. The TRX450R might be an awesome performer, but it might also be Honda's Raptor.

Tim Sr., Allthough I usually agree with you on everything - you might be acting a little bit biased without your own comparison to base it on as well. You are afterall, a TRX250R rider - you know that Honda NEVER puts out anything without it being way over engineered and exhaustively tested. Yeah it took forever for the 450R to come out - but - we all know why. They werent just waiting to see what everyone else does, they were anally testing that quad, over, and over. I can pretty much guarantee you won't see any of the LTZ400 like first year frame cracking problems or the Predators tranny crunching because of this. Now I know you were refering to the Raptor in you comments - and believe me, I'm no fan of this beast. I think they were just introduced because of the Bombardier DS650 and Yami fealt slighted. They were afterall the king of the hill for years with the Banshee. Raptors are way too high framed tippy because of the gigantic engine. In order to get it to handle better you would have to extend the A-Arms and axle. Yami knew that if they did that from the factory - they would never fit in the back of a Pickup truck. The motor from the factory only has 34hp - I'm still wondering about that since you can easilly get nearly 50 with just a wiesco, a pipe and a hotter cam. Yamaha never intended the Raptor to be a serious racer - if they did they would have given it a 440 class mill so it would fit into the AATVAs limits. They released it to be the biggest kid on the block - a drag racer at heart. As far as the Engine vs Engine HP ratings go - Yeah the Yami YFZ might have a little room for messaging more power from the motor (I read the article in DW too)- but - remember - the 250R DIDN'T have the most Horsepower either, and it was and still is a world beater. You can tell just by looking at the frame its basically just an improved 250R/400EX type geometry - it can only be great. I think what its going to come down too between the two quads is just "degrees" of greatness. In the end, as Tim has preached time and time again, on the track, in the real world, it will come right down to rider skill being the determining factor as to who or what wins. I can tell you all this, I absolutely can't wait for the head to head in DW between these two.

TimSr
09-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Dont misinterpret my opinion, as Im not saying it is or is not great. My point is, how can anyone toute the greatness of something thats not yet in the field? Ill reserve arguing its greatness until Ive actually seen them in action.

The fact that its Honda doesnt pursuade me to assume it will be great. While the 400EX was a good quad, it was hardly any great technological advancement. Guys had been putting 350X motors on 250R chassis for years, and some may even argue that the 400EX chassis is inferior to the R, though I personally have no opinion on that.

These new ones may be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I question those who are so convinced of this when they have not yet appeared in the field.

ATC crazy
09-17-2003, 05:56 PM
This might be a little (or way) off topic, but it might be an interesting fact to some of you. Honda puts ALL of their engines on the dyno with the RPM set at redline, for 40 hours straight. :shock: Thats how reliable they are.

Just a little fact...

Manny55
09-23-2003, 10:01 AM
I wouold definetly get the Honda it most likely is more reliable then the yamaha 450 because its Honda. I'm very curious though how much the trx450r can hang with the yamaha 450?

Manny55

This is my second time having 100 post.

REDMAN225
09-23-2003, 07:38 PM
why would the honda 450 be more reliable than the yamaha 450?

200xer
09-24-2003, 08:27 PM
Honda has always had the most reliable machines overall. Not that other companies can't make reliable machines or don't, it's just that Honda owns the crown. Most will not argue with it either.

proraptor
09-24-2003, 08:39 PM
I agree...I have 5 honda atc's and they sat for like 10 years....I cleaned the carbs/tanks put in new oil and spark plugs and every single one fired up!

REDMAN225
09-25-2003, 07:45 PM
i'm certainly not gonna get into a silly arguement over honda vs. yamaha reliability.years past honda has always been top dog. however...times have changed and speaking on the new 450's only!!!!, i just dont see one being more reliable than the other. if anything, it remains to be seen. :-D

HemiChallenger71
09-25-2003, 08:56 PM
I don't see one being more reliable than the other either. There is one thing that would hold me back from getting that quad. I HOPE they kept the seperate tranny and engine cases, because that was an excellent idea. The oil crank case also only holds one quart of oil for a high horsepower high reving 4 stroke that consumes oil. The poor idea with that 450 motor was to save weight and make for top end high-revving power (the same as the S-2000 car). How do they get that? they sacrifice reliability. I don't know if anyone has ever seen a piston from a crf450f motor or s-2000 motor, but the piston has no skirt literally, and the pin goes into the bottom two rings, the only ring that the pin doesnt touch is the top compression ring, or it only has one compression ring (I can't remember which). Either way both the 450 and s-2000 motors consume large amounts of oil and trash cylinder liners so they can perform top RPM and be reliable at that RPM only. The s-2000's constantly come back to the dealerships with super low mileage consuming astronimical amounts of oil. This is what I don't like about Honda and that's why I wouldn't buy a new 4 stroke of theirs. I'm sure they all sacrifice reliability for power, but it seems that Honda goes to far.

Holding an engine at top RPM for 40 hours doesn't mean trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro. That's like what? 10 tanks of gas through a quad if that? It prooves the engine is reliable for 40 hours, and doesn't simulate the real world. Chevy put a trailblazer 4200 straight 6 on the engine dyno at top RPM for what would be the equlivalent fo 300,000 miles on a car and it ran fine still afterwards, although worn out. What all this bullshitting means is that I want to see it in the real world, and I haven't herd anything about the CRF450F dirt bike.

NOS_350X
09-26-2003, 12:25 AM
I haven't herd anything about the CRF450F dirt bike.

its undefeated in all shootouts its been in. its better than the yamaha in every way (i know that from riding each) as for reliability we will be able to fing that out when there 20 years old like our belovid trikes

200xer
09-27-2003, 12:33 AM
wow Hemi, bad day? may wanna do some research before rippin on a brand.

Wickedfinger
09-27-2003, 01:28 AM
Well now 200x, hes allowed to make his opinion known - I wouldn't criticize on that.

smokinwrench
09-27-2003, 01:56 AM
I agree there is no way to decide which is the best quad. YET

You just as well turn this into a Chevy VS Ford thread and let in run hog wild.

Josh

200xer
09-27-2003, 12:16 PM
All I said was that his opinion is not based on the right facts. It's like me saying that the new yamaha 450 won't handle very good because none of the yamahas handle good.

While prior knowledge of a subject is good, it's good to have the up to date facts as well.

Tecate performance
09-28-2003, 02:56 PM
hemichallenger makes some good points, especially about the crf450 bike. if you do any research on the web about these, or go to a website like thumpertalk.com, you'll see the 450 motor has had its share of problems, especially on the 02's. i'm sure the riders of the 02 450's were saying, "boy, there's nothing like that honda reliability" when they were replacing their intake valves within the first year they had them.

the 450 is no air cooled, xr based motor that honda has used for atv's in the past. it is a highly tuned race oriented motor that needs to be maintained accordingly, so all the typical honda cliches about engine reliability don't necessarily apply. hopefully honda will have addressed some of the reliability issues associated with atvs by adding the extra compression ring and dual countershaft bearings.

remember, yamaha has had since 98(when the yz400f came out) to perfect their motor design. honda has had since 02 to improve theirs. and the honda doesn't neccesarilly win all the dirt bike shotouts. its just that their package is very versatile and easy to ride, not built specifically for one discipline(like the yz450 seems to be built more for supercross).

bigred110
09-28-2003, 03:18 PM
The motors are not the same motor. The ATV has more stroke then the dirt bike motor and a smaller bore.
I've heard in the past that yamaha has problems with new ATV's coming off the show room floor. Espically tranny problems.