PDA

View Full Version : Totally new to trikes

northerntrike
08-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Hi all!!! I just got my first trike last week. I'm having a blast with it so far. Runs like a champ. It's an '82 Honda 200ATC. I have one question though. Like I said, I'm totally new to trikes. What kind of charging system does it have? It has a new electric starter but no battery yet. I plan on getting a battery for it but want to make sure it's not a 6volt system if I'm putting a 12 volt battery in it.

northerntrike
08-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Anyone??? I need to know which battery to pick up for this thing.

Xfile
08-20-2010, 01:39 PM
It's a 12 volt system....welcome to 3 wheeler world

atctim
08-20-2010, 03:12 PM
for reference it looks like a 82 ATC200E (big red). Any place that sells batteries should have a reference book so you get the correct battery. All Honda trikes with Electric Start are 12 volt systems. Only the older smaller machines with pull start only are 6 Volt systems.

northerntrike
08-24-2010, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the info!!! Having a blast with it already. I do have a few little gremlins to work out on it since it sat for a while with old gas and gummed up the fuel system and tank, but I'll get it done. I have a bit of minor brake problems to fix. Changed the tank already since the old one was rusted and patched then the patch fell out.(it was that epoxy patch stuff) I cleaned the replacement tank good before installing it and filling with gas but I think a bit of dirt got into the carb from the old tank. Minor problems. Also, the vented fuel cap was clogged so I soaked it in varsol over night then blew it out with the air compressor. Seems to be ok now. The bike would run like a champ for a few minutes then seem like it was starving for fuel until I cracked open the gas cap and heard a whoosh of air rush into the tank. Not doing that now. Overall, I think it's going to be a great little project. My main purpose for it is to put around out at camp and for bird hunting in the fall.

northerntrike
08-24-2010, 01:10 PM
for reference it looks like a 82 ATC200E (big red). Any place that sells batteries should have a reference book so you get the correct battery. All Honda trikes with Electric Start are 12 volt systems. Only the older smaller machines with pull start only are 6 Volt systems.

You guessed it right on...it is an '82 ATC200....what's the E stand for though? Mine only says 200ATC

thestud25
08-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Well that is a good machine to put around on. Welcome to the boards!

MonroeMike
08-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Welcome, congrats on your first 3 wheeler.

David komatina
08-24-2010, 03:32 PM
i think it stands for electric start
You guessed it right on...it is an '82 ATC200....what's the E stand for though? Mine only says 200ATC

northerntrike
08-25-2010, 11:00 PM
that would make sense...mine has electric start

harryredtrike
09-02-2010, 12:15 PM
welcome northern brother.get a manual in world class help section.also clean that carb out real nice she'll run forever if you take care of it.