PDA

View Full Version : Got caught by the police, may sell my trike :(

x3IzEW
09-14-2003, 08:32 PM
Me and two of my friends were riding around on my trike last night, they dont know how to drive it so they were switching off riding on back. Anyways, I've got a pretty small yard so i was going around the neibhorhood a little. It was wet so i was doing some skids and stuff, along with some wheelies. So after we're done, I put it away and half an hour later my sister yells, "Jay, why are the cops here?" So I go outside and this is the most pissed off cop I've seen. (He expelled my friend so he knows me) He asks to see the trike so I go show him, he says if he finds me on it again I'm getting like 1000 bucks in tickets! On top of that, town of Lisbon has all these other stupid laws that I have to be within 150 feet of my house and no closer than 50 and cant ride in my ditch :rolleyes: Sooooo I don't think I'm going to be riding my trike that much anymore.... :( Well, at least I did something right... the officer slipped when he said that he was going to stop at the guys house that called on me and tell him that If he sees me again he should call. So right after the cop pulled out of my street I ran like hell through the neibhorhood and see what house he was at. Sure enough, I found the house and you can be they'll be hearing from me in the future!!!! :twisted:

Russell 350X
09-14-2003, 09:15 PM
Damn that sucks. I would hate having neighbors that don;t like what I do. It would really piss me off if a cop came to my door sayin I couldnt ride anymore. :evil:

smokinwrench
09-14-2003, 10:03 PM
Dang I would hate to be the guy that turned you in. :shock: You just never know who might buy a gallon of Round Up and spray obscene names (i hate pork cops stay away) into your nice green lawn. Have you ever heard of bined weed? It is a farmers night mare, all you have to do is pick some and throw it somewhere and it will grow (it has real nice white flowers when it blooms). I would never think about doing stuff like that.

Josh

mkramm
09-14-2003, 11:39 PM
Nah, go buy a big box of powdered milk & sprinkle his yard right before it rains :shock: talk about a smell when the milk rotts :D

Mobular
09-15-2003, 01:02 AM
Chuck some OXO cubes on the lawn during a rain. They'll dissolve into the ground, and every dog in the area will come by, and rip up the lawn looking for the tasty treats!

Aaron2003
09-15-2003, 01:53 AM
you are all to funny, toss an egg or two at his house for me while youre at it..

Aaron

Jeb
09-15-2003, 09:26 AM
Dont sell your 3-Wheeler just because of some @$$-Hole in the neighborhood.

But dont make it potentially worse on yourself by retalliating against the guys property. Retaliating against someones property is about the most childish, chicken-$h!t thing a person can do. And what if the cop was baiting you?? Intentionally letting it slip out where he was going, hoping you'll do something to the guy, then they'll investigate and catch you because you are probably the ONLY suspect.

I hate to sound like "dad" here, (guess I'm getting older! :shock: :D )When you ride ATVs through neighborhoods, you set yourself up for a fall plain & simple. I know, your just having fun, not hurting a soul. But right or wrong, Like it or not, you are breaking the law and jerks are going to call you in.

mkramm
09-15-2003, 10:30 AM
Was the trike in the garage or outside, could the cop see it without opening the door? I am assuming your a young one? Sounds like the cop was trying to intimidate ya. 1. You should not have shown him the trike, he needs a warrant if you dont show it to him, unless it was sitting in plain site. And then deny, deny, deny. Until a cop actually catches you your okay.

(im not a lawyer, but this country was founding on innocent until proven guilty, or at least it use to be that way :evil:

groundfly
09-15-2003, 06:00 PM
Jeb is right, forget all that "Im gonna kill his grass or break his window". First off you should'nt set your self up for more trouble if the cop itimidated you that much the first time, and second, if you are gonna do somthing do it to the GUY, not his property. I work with coward punks that do that all the time. Not calling you a coward. But to your face their all cool and no problems here, then bam, your window's knocked out...and then you gotta prove they did it before you start settin jaws sideways :twisted: ...am i venting.

ATC crazy
09-15-2003, 06:07 PM
1. You should not have shown him the trike, he needs a warrant if you dont show it to him, unless it was sitting in plain site. And then deny, deny, deny. Until a cop actually catches you your okay.

Exactly what I was going to say....

Oh, and dont do stuff to his property (even though it would be hilarious), do it to him. Just sit in some bushes/woods near his house (if there are any), and unload some frozen paintballs on him :evil:

ATC-Crazy HATES snitchers....

TrikeKid
09-15-2003, 07:41 PM
Why sell your trike because you cant ride around the neighbor hood? Why not try to find a way to get to a legal riding spot? My neghbors are cool so i can ride my dirtbike around the neighborhood if i want and theres a crap load of woods plus my little track but i guess im lucky ;)

kyle
09-15-2003, 07:52 PM
what state are you from? I know you said you are from the town Lisbon, I was just wondering if that would be Ohio?

BULLDOG
09-15-2003, 09:38 PM
like trike kid i have some cool neighbors they dont care what you ride around heck i dont think alot of them would care for me to ride it late at
night because most of them do that anyway where i live most do but thats one of the luxurys of living in the country and no cop will stop you they will just give you an evil eye but they hardly ever come out here
even for something serious it takes them an hour to get out here.

but don't sell your trike, its too bad you got caught for something like
that though

KASEY
09-15-2003, 09:54 PM
MAYBE IF YOU WEREN'T RIDING ON THE STREET WITH A VEHICHLE THAT IS NOT LICENSED,,DOING SKIDS AND WHEELIES ,,,,HE WOULD HAVE NO REASON TO CALL THE COPS!!!!!

who is in the wrong on this one???????????????????

thefox
09-15-2003, 10:22 PM
MAYBE IF YOU WEREN'T RIDING ON THE STREET WITH A VEHICHLE THAT IS NOT LICENSED,,DOING SKIDS AND WHEELIES ,,,,HE WOULD HAVE NO REASON TO CALL THE COPS!!!!!

I would have to agree with 250RMAD on this one.

-Andrew

TimSr
09-15-2003, 11:30 PM
I cant judge this situation, because I wasnt there, but.... I was at my parents house and some jerk on a 400EX with the most obnoxious pipe he could find was racing up and down the residential street in front of the house 40-50mph, so noisy I couldnt even hear the TV. After about 10 minutes of it, I called the cops myself. Some people set out to aggravate, and tick off their neighbors, finding it amusing, or are just plain too inconsiderate to even know they are being a-holes, and then they are dumbfounded that their neighbors have developed a hatred of ATVs. Then we all pay for it. A little consideration goes a long way. I talk to my neighbors, and even frequently ask them if Im bothering them or making too much noise when Im doing my test runs. We have an old railroad bed, that technically Im not supposed to be on, but I make my back and forth run, and the neighbors never complain because I dont abuse it.

Instead of committing criminal acts of vandalism and assault, I think youll find that if youd really like your neighbor to not call the police every time you toe the line, youll get a lot better results if you go over an apoligize for disturbing them, mention your love of riding, and try to find out specifically what it was that was bothering them. The noise? the speed? the wheelies in the street? If you actually talk to the guy, like a responsible adult, and be apologetic, you may find that he has no objection to your putting down the road to get from point A to point B, just doesnt like the reckeless antics, and if he feels you are trying to be considerate of him, he wont be so quick to pick up the phone next time.

KASEY
09-16-2003, 12:01 AM
TIMSR i agree completely!!! i have alot of guys with bikes trikes and quads in my neighborhood,, i have gone out several times to try to reason with some of the braindead people ,,,,, most of the time everything works out,,, but on occation higher athourity is needed,,,,, which is tooo bad,,

JourneyMan
09-16-2003, 02:39 AM
Cant ride anymore, cant do alot of things in this free country unless your running it. It's time for a revolution. I had a similar problem with the cops only I was a scapegoat. 2 kids on quads were riding up and down the street and people on the street thought it was me because they always see me with my bikes on my truck so they called the cops. The only problem is I was at work that day. But does it also occour to people that people are going to start seeing more people ride in the street because of no places to ride. Eventually or hopefully I hope somebody that loves to ride joins our government and helps out in the recreational feild. Enough golf courts, lets make some pits because I want to move out west or to canada where there is no one for miles to bother ya when riding.

TimSr
09-16-2003, 09:16 AM
Hey Journeyman, just for clarification, were you upset with the cops?, the people who called them? or the punks that put a bullseye on you?

I dont disagree at all that we need more places to ride, but the antics I described encourage further bans and closures rather than prompt more riding areas. We used to have a place to ride, hundreds of acres. A blacktop road went through the middle, and you could pull off on either side with truck or trailer and unload. Keep in mind, with hundreds of acres on both sides, and one huge area of open field, on any given day youd find a dozen punks drag racing up and down the blacktop road in the middle. Other places we go, if its not closely patrolled by whoever is in charge, youll find the same situation in the riding area parking lot. For this reason even I dont see more riding areas as a solution for curbing road riding, and most politicians will see it as a reason to close rather than open more riding areas because the biggest road riding problems are usually near the riding areas. While there are plenty of politicians and tree huggers to hate, and "scapegoat" we really need to examine our own ranks and realize that it is a few of our own that do the most damaage to the future of riding.

Kook
09-16-2003, 09:53 AM
and don't want to stir up any debates here, but having been a cop for more than a decade, I would have to say that about the first half of this post is terrible advice. The quote below is some of the worst I've ever heard.

1. You should not have shown him the trike, he needs a warrant if you dont show it to him, unless it was sitting in plain site. And then deny, deny, deny. Until a cop actually catches you your okay.

Piss him off and he'll ride you to the end of your days. Cooperate and you may find a friend in a squad car. JMHO

Sounds like this guy has what I call "Superman Syndrome". He became a cop to boss people around and drive code. My advice to you is act respectfully to him and wait for him to focus on someone else. His ego is looking for someone to smart off to him. Don't give him the satisfaction.

TrikeKid
09-16-2003, 11:07 AM
i agree that you shouldnt have shown him the trike unless it was out in the open. bulldog my neighbors are cool with me and dad riding around but the one @$$hole shot my dog and then lied to us and said it was fighting with his dog. that dog wouldnt hurt a hair on another dogs head and he shot it point blank with a 22. and it suffered for a 3 days before it died.

mkramm
09-16-2003, 01:36 PM
I did not say smart off to him, however, he obviously has a power trip by being a cop and likes to push people around, like alot of cops. Sometimes its deserved and sometimes its not. You being a cop prevously would have gotten alot different treatment than this kid did, from the statement given here (I wasnt there I dont have the cops side of the story) the cop was obviously trying to intimidate him because he had NOTHING ON HIM!!! Now tell me im wrong?

Kook
09-16-2003, 02:20 PM
Nope, never said you were wrong and in fact my last statements agreed with you totally. Right, wrong or otherwise, I was just telling him how to avoid confrontations with the guy again. I have seen LOTS of cops like that and the best way to get around them is cooperate completely. Yes, he did have the right not to open the door and yes, I'm positive the cop was trying to intimidate him. The thing is, he didn't do anything EXCEPT try to intimidate him. When confronted with an A-hole like that, if you say no, you'll have to get a warrant, you are asking for more trouble than you can imagine. Granted, no judge is going to give him a warrant just from a neighbor's complaint unless maybe there was property damage, but HE will see it as an act of defiance. I've seen it. Even after seeing the trike, he had no proof that he was the guy riding on the road just hearsay, SO he did the only thing he could do and made threats. I hope you guys don't misunderstand this, I am not on the cop's side just because I was one. I have never believed in that. I'm just trying to advise the guy how to keep him off his back. Cool?

mkramm
09-16-2003, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I dont mean to rag on you, it just ticks me off when cops throw thier weight around like that when there really wasnt any reason for it. There is no reason the cop couldnt come to the door and say, hey knock it off with the tearing up and down the street. It did sound like from the story it was going on for sometime. Especially if it was a 2-stroke or something (nice and loud). Heck I live in a neighborhood with a bunch of old muscle cars, and I live in front of the stop sign. I dont mind 1 bit if they do burnout, but when they do them at midnight I call the cops. I wouldnt even do it then, but when they do it they always seem to wake up the 2 year old & baby which ticks me off, so Ill call & complain.

x3IzEW
09-16-2003, 09:02 PM
Im in Wisconsin, if anyone knows where to ride please tell me! And yeah i suppose i shouldnt retalliate, but i did buy a big bottle of the stuff that kills grass haha. Why couldnt he have just told me?! Now he ruined my fun, cant get over second gear in my yard! Not a bad idea telling the cop not to go inside the garage but he was already at the line of giving me a citation! I also saw his next door neibhors riding little mopeds up and down the street... about 10 yrs old! Screw these neibhors!

REDMAN225
09-16-2003, 09:48 PM
well said Tim Sr.!

JourneyMan
09-17-2003, 01:48 AM
I was mad at the neighbors and punk kids with their bikes that caused the copes to come to my house. But when a cop just decides to go by the neighbors word and gives me a bunch of lectures when i didnt do nothing that makes me mad at the cops that came my house not every cop. Just for clarification.

Billy Golightly
09-17-2003, 10:52 AM
I must be very fourtanet...I've never had any run ins with the cops, or real shitty neighbors (Theres some assholes that live down the road that dump trash down the dirtroad and stuff...but thats about it). I guess living 6 miles from the closest paved road does have its advantages, hehe.

honda200
09-19-2003, 10:56 PM
i have never had any encounters with the police, either on my 2 stroke dirt bike or 4 stroke trike.

I actually HAVE to go up my street to get to the trail i go on, and i only go about 3 times a month, tops, and, i am actually going to ask the neighbours (about 25 of them) if the noise bothers them, i am only in 4th gear the entire time and dont do anything stupid.

Curtis

K5ride
09-22-2003, 12:52 AM
I live in the country with a fair amount of neighbors. They don't care what tha hell I do. Screamin' a 3wheeler around ain't nothing. I'v got an 82 K5 Blazer with a 6" lift & 35" ProComp Mud Tires. I run stright headers from time to time. I drag race in front of my house all the time. My next door neighbor likes it when I do that! Hell I'v rode around town open headers more than a few times. I'm not the only one either. The only problem that I'v had with tha cops are them tryin' to give me a screw job. I was on my way home after work. I allways drive gravel roads, there a stright shot from home to work. It had been raining all day so the road was pure slop. It got real bad so I slow down and drop it in 4-Hi. In the time it took me to look down then look up there was a unmarked blue car coming up behind me, I'm like oh well, and start to speed up. The tires spin a little when I hit the gas, keep in mind the road is slop, and then I see lights in my rearview! It's that damn unmarked car! I stop, he gets out and walks like he's got a corn cob up his ass, I thinkin' what tha hell did I do? He said it was unsafe driving cause my tires spun when I took off. Then he tried to tell me 10 mins ago I was tearin' up some farmers field, but the farmers field was 20+ miles away from where I was then. Then he said I'll remember these tire tracks. If I see these anywhere they sounldn't be I'll be callin'. I'm like :shock: I DAMN sure know I'm not the only one with ProComp Mud Tires! They where on me like white on rice. I painted my truck three times! That was almost foy years ago. I rolled it tryin' to avoid a head on with some dumb ass in my lane last summer. After I bolted on some new sheet metal they forgot all about me. For The record I have NEVER wheeled any where that I did not have permission to. I tear up my land :-D Don't do anything to the guys yard. Talk to him FIRST. Try and work somthing out. Then if he still wants to be a ass then by all means, break his legs and throw him in a dumpster :twisted: