PDA

View Full Version : 87 LT230S......again

haggard 2hundie
08-29-2010, 07:12 PM
so im about to start on my first full " rebuild/resto "? and want to know where to start.
the quad is completely stripped and the motor is out, cylinder head is off and the cases are not split, it has sat outside.
i am going to order a service manual in the next few days , just looking for tips or advise cuz im a little over my head with this but want to learn.

Mr_RPM
08-29-2010, 08:44 PM
my problem i have had is i started my tear down, ordered most of what i needed and then ran out of money and now it just sits apart while waiting for funds. the longer it sits the more difficult it will be to remember how it came apart, sure theres a manual to back me up it just sucks. so I would make sure you have enough money to get it apart and back together before you get in there deep. maybe work in chunks rather than all at once like me. maybe just do the engine and get it completely done then move on.
but first things first, rip down the engine. investigate what your going to need, then do some research on the parts your needing, then buy them. after having the parts is the hard part of getting it back together. dont procrastinate or get lazy, it will just go down hill if so. my project is at a stand still at the moment, try and keep the ball rolling

haggard 2hundie
08-30-2010, 06:59 PM
thanks man im pretty excited to get going on this , it was taken apart when i got it so its gonna ge a challenge for sure hopefully i can have it all done in one year but....

humboldtrider
08-30-2010, 09:18 PM
get rid of it and buy a trike

MonroeMike
08-30-2010, 09:52 PM
There's a pdf manual here for 5 bucks.

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/104028219-suzuki-lt230s-lt230ge-lt250s-service-manual-repair

haggard 2hundie
08-31-2010, 07:17 PM
get rid of it and buy a trike

got one ,86 200X the quad is for my girlfriend and kids to grow into , not that i dont want another trike, im saving for either a 250R or 350X not sure which i want yet

coolpool
09-01-2010, 07:09 AM
Good luck on the resto. I love the old 230. Bought my first in 1986 and literally beat the crap out of that thing! What fun! My son just bought one and we are doing a top end on it. I have a front and rear rack in great condition (needs paint, no dents that I recall) that may fit your machine. PM me if interested and we could deal.

hillbilly 200x
09-01-2010, 07:59 AM
little tips put all the bolts back where they came from or my favorit thing to do is to get a fishing tackle box and put all the nut and bolts and lable them. Worst thing isNOT knowing where it goes. I have over $2000 into a polaris trail boss 350L and can't figger where the hell everthing goes (i got it when it was all apart)

RacerRichie
09-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Make sure the area near the output shaft for the sprocket is in good shape before you go putting $$ into it. These were known to throw chains and crack the case. Replace swinger bearings!!! Tons of parts out there for the bike. The side cases have different length bolts so make sure to note where they are. Do not overtighten anything and go to stock torque specs or you will surely strip a few. I owned many of the 230S and these are the things I ran into. Get a good shop to bore and match your piston.
Good luck

haggard 2hundie
09-01-2010, 06:55 PM
thanks for the tips guys , i like the tackle box idea since tis will literally be a shade tree project, prob set it all on a tarp since i have no garage to work in.
gonna start sanding the frame soon, i want original paint scheme but my lady wants black and pink , so im thinkin pink frame, black plastics with pink accents.

haggard 2hundie
09-01-2010, 06:57 PM
................which reminds me , best way to strip paint from the frame ?? i know i know thread search , im gonna do that now, any luck with spray can paint stripper ??

Mr_RPM
09-02-2010, 05:03 PM
................which reminds me , best way to strip paint from the frame ?? i know i know thread search , im gonna do that now, any luck with spray can paint stripper ??

sand paper and wire wheel for me

haggard 2hundie
09-02-2010, 07:02 PM
how long did it take ya and what grit paper?

ktmbk
09-11-2010, 04:20 PM
I do my frames with a wire wheel on a drill, sandpaper and use the sandblaster for the really tight areas.
Also with my long term ongoing project lt250s I've found that if you use as many new nuts and bolts as possible, you never worry where the leftovers go at the end.... ha ha ha
actually when I disassemble a bike I try to do it in steps, and I try to put all the parts that come off in each step into a box. the boxes take up space but If you don't get back to it for a while (years in my case) at least you know that when you do go to assemble the parts for each step are all together instead of in one giant pile.

ktmbk
09-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Oh yea, similar to the tackle box idea, you can take the bolts and punch them through a cardboard box and write down where each came from next to it.

honda200x1987
09-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Back in 1986 I bought a 1985 230 QUADSPORT and a buddy of mine bought the 1987 230 quadsport , it had the white plastic .

haggard 2hundie
09-26-2010, 05:01 PM
yup white plastic blue frame bars and seat