PDA

View Full Version : Hitch Mounted basket...think a trike would fit? lol

Mr_RPM
09-03-2010, 01:45 AM
so i am looking at buying a car soon and one of the few cars i like is a jeep wrangler. one of the things i dislike is i can't get my 110 in it.
i thought about trailers and those work great for long distances like going to the dunes. but alot of my rides are very casual and only include my little 110, hooking up a trailer just for a few hour ride for my 110 sounds like a pain. also driving with a trailer is no fun either
so how about a hitch basket? most say 500LBS capacity and my 110 weighs around 250LBS with gas and all. does anyone have one?
do you think i could get my little 110 to fit?
do they ruin the way your car drives? imagine a jeep?

what do you guys think?
im the kinda guy who plans ahead and over thinks everything lol

harryredtrike
09-03-2010, 02:08 AM
build one off a 2 inch receiver i've been wanting to do this on my truck.

Mr_RPM
09-03-2010, 01:04 PM
yeah, i have been looking at pre made ones and most are only 10 inches to short and 6 inches to narrow. a few cuts and a few welds and i could get it to fit somehow lol.
or i could get one made to carry dirt bikes and just add on to make it wider.

TheRealFatShady
09-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Just make sure it doesn't cover your tag.

And I've been thinking of a smaller trailer for my Taurus to pull. I drive an F-550 dump truck with a 23-25' enclosed trailer behind it, so I'm used to it. But I understand about the ease of not having anything dragging behind your vehicle.

Thorpe
09-06-2010, 06:54 PM
If the wrangler is stock, the rear is going to be sprung mighty light to put that weight out the hitch. Not the the 250lbs is a big deal, but the leverage of the length of the basket will make it seem like its more than 250-300 lbs. You may want to look into airbag overloads ($250 or so for the kit) Or just strap the trailer on... (Thats what I do behind my Cherokee)

Ironbnder
09-06-2010, 08:16 PM
I put my 110 in the trunk of an 80 model Cutlas Supreme many years ago when I wanted to go on a ride and dad would not loan me his truck. Took the wheels off and laid the handle bars down and closed the trunk. My buddies were amazed when I showed up with trike!