PDA

View Full Version : Decoster leaves Suzuki in favor of KTM

tecat-z
09-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Longtime team manager of Suzuki's sx and mx team has signed a new deal with KTM. Ktm is a company that has really gotten their act together in the last 8 or so years and many people are really taking notice of their dedication to the the consumer. The USA is the last country where they don't have a commanding sales lead in the MX and offroad motorcycle marketplace. With free agancy being what it is this year in pro racing, and KTM being so aggressive with the new machines and dedication to 2stroke off road machines. We may be seeing something that many people thought would never happen. The gradual meltdown of the stranglehold that the Jap oems have had on the AMA and their rule and class structure. Decoster is the biggest name in pro MX and knows the sport is at a tipping point. Outside of the USA, Ktm currently wins more off road championships than any Jap manufacturer. They are building what people actually want and continue to break new ground with their machines. We will see a re-surgance of 2stroke powered MX machines at the pro level if the rules are written in a fair manner. This is the single biggest step towards that being a reality. Rumer has it that Honda is up in arms with this move since they may loose much leverage in their "changing of the rules" way of racing. This will take some time to sort, but make no mistake.. BIG changes are coming to pro racing in the next year or so. Way to go KTM!!!

Dirtcrasher
09-04-2010, 01:19 PM
WOW, With Ryan Dungey taking all the titles with the absence of Bubba, and Reed hasn't shown us too much outdoors; It's probably a good time and with good reason to leave.

I'd love to see a talented rider on a 2 stroke compete in the 450 class :beer

3wheelmecca
09-04-2010, 06:49 PM
KTM- where everything costs a million billion dollars, but has made crazy fast bikes since the early 80's.
Makes me want to get one now. There is an '85 250MX near me.
Now we need Hurricane Hannah to switch to Husqvarna, then all hell will break loose.
Glad to see Roger DeCoster made a switch to a closer-to-home company.

Tri-Z 250
09-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I will agree that KTM offers up the only RACE READY machines in a full lineup. If you can't find a KTM to fit your needs you don't know what you want. Rogers out the door for 1reason...contracts up KTM is looking for an ICON. Suzuki as the old saying goes: breaths contempt from familirity when it comes to Roger(they believe they can do it on their own). My biggest complaintant for KTM...try and get parts for older machines. They discontinue more parts which make the 5yr old machines worth nothing. Go pick up a fire plug JR/Senior 50 from the late 90's thur 2001 parts become worse than 3wheelers. Plus find a DEALER thats local???? I think Kawi and Suzuki are in dire straits business wise...Roger stepping away may be an indicator to whats around the corner. I'm keeping a close look at Pattons PC team...If he switches brands look out.
PS Bob Hannah will never come back to MX as long as the AMA runs the show

HuffieVA
09-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Actually glad to see it, like was said earlier KTM has a bike for everyone and that includes 2 strokes. KTM had the guts to put Allesi on a 350 and he is fairly competitive on it, and with an Icon like DeCoster going to KTM perhaps they will draw some big names and we'll se a rider talented enough to win on a 2 stroke again which would open the eyes of the Jap manufacturers and make motocross affordable and fun again... I'd love to see Husqvarna, Maico, and KTM all on the podium with the smell of premix in the air once again... Sorry Honda your a "Four Stroke" company remember

Dirtcrasher
09-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Yeah, If Tony Alessi wasn't such a prick his kid may have some confidence :lol:

Yeah, I'm sure the dirtbikes, chainsaws and weedwhackers will make a difference :rolleyes:

HuffieVA
09-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Yeah, I'm sure the dirtbikes, chainsaws and weedwhackers will make a difference :rolleyes:

2 different companies, Husky (Motorcycle) was bought out by Cagiva in 87 and is now owned by BMW and are bult in Italy, the Chainsaws, Sewing Machines and Weed Wackers are still owned by Electrolux and still based in Sweden, so what once was a proud nameplate actually has some money behind it once again

Maico's are slated to be imported into the states next year by Dirt Werks, the company that designs and build each and every Supercross track.

Jap bike sales are way down in the states and have been on the decline for years, while the European brands are on the rise... because they make what people want and give them a choice instead of what they want people to buy....

Nothing against 4 strokes but lets be real here why do they cost three to five times as much to rebuild and need a double the displacement advantage? Over what is essentially ten year old bikes (2 strokes)

hang&rattle
09-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Dirtcrasher- I think I remember you saying you were into bmx in the 80's? This is a little off post, but my buddy had two Roger Decoster bmx bikes in 6th and 7-8th grade. They weren't as popular as the redlines, gt's and torker's, but it's all he would run. I ran a haro and schwinn.

whyzee
09-05-2010, 08:17 AM
wow , this is huge news ! Who the heck is Decoster going to bring with him ??? To be perfectly honest , I can't see him leaving Dungey behind and vice versa.. Decoster found and hired Dungey when he was in the B class, not even expert class, Decoster is all Dungey knows. I have a feeling you will see a huge change at KTM and it will be Decoster and Dungey. I don't think Decoster and Mike Alessi will work well together. I think KTM wins an outdoor title in the next 3 years

tecat-z
09-05-2010, 09:14 AM
As we all know, racing is a business. Ktm is getting very serious about their business in the USA. New KTM bikes are actually priced very even with their Jap competition and with that you get some outstanding extras that are included. Dealer network is not as vast as say a Yamaha, but with internet parts sales making up nearly 70% this because of discount warehouse sellers, and convenient to you door delivery, it really doesn't matter. Replacement parts are again right in line with the Jap oems and sometimes even cheaper on the newer models. Old KTM should NOT be confused with what they have been making in the last 5 or so years. They are taking the lead in the off road segment worldwide, and about to make some serious headway here very soon, along with breaking some hearts and shaking old reputations. Decoster is just the begining of a company who has not fallen asleep, and only builds what THEY want to. This will be very good for the off road motorcycle industry, by bringing back some excitement!

Dirtcrasher
09-05-2010, 11:47 AM
wow , this is huge news ! Who the heck is Decoster going to bring with him ??? To be perfectly honest , I can't see him leaving Dungey behind and vice versa.. Decoster found and hired Dungey when he was in the B class, not even expert class, Decoster is all Dungey knows. I have a feeling you will see a huge change at KTM and it will be Decoster and Dungey. I don't think Decoster and Mike Alessi will work well together. I think KTM wins an outdoor title in the next 3 years

Dungey is training with Charmichael at Rickys track. I'm sure Rogers influenced helped but Ricky seems to be showing him the ropes. Whether Dungey can keep up with Stewart or whether Stewart even cares at this point; He's already loaded but I think he's got some fire left in him.....

Dirtcrasher
09-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Dirtcrasher- I think I remember you saying you were into bmx in the 80's? This is a little off post, but my buddy had two Roger Decoster bmx bikes in 6th and 7-8th grade. They weren't as popular as the redlines, gt's and torker's, but it's all he would run. I ran a haro and schwinn.

Yep, I had an aluminum Redline and Kuwahara, raced a few years. Wish I kept up with it, might have went onto Motocross but my father wasn't really there for me......

FUN TIMES back then!

whyzee
09-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Dungey is training with Charmichael at Rickys track. I'm sure Rogers influenced helped but Ricky seems to be showing him the ropes. Whether Dungey can keep up with Stewart or whether Stewart even cares at this point; He's already loaded but I think he's got some fire left in him.....

DC, there is no doubt that everytime I hear Dungey's speech on the podium, it is obvious RC has groomed him 100%. Dungey has learned ALOT from RC. Don't forget, that RC was dumped by Honda when he hurt his knee. Ricky wanted to end his career on a Honda. Roger Decoster actually talked with ricky a few years prior and told him that he wanted him but Suzuki's bike was not up to par for Ricky. Ricky has tons of respect for Roger, Roger glued together the peices of RC's career after honda dumped him. I think the handwriting is on the wall. Roger , Ricky and Dungey are all going to be riding Orange ! KTM wants the US market , and that is how they are going to get it!
EDIT #1 It was rumored after Suzuki's announcement regarding Roger, that Dungey has an out clause in his contract in case "certain" people aren't at Suzuki anymore

EDIT #2 I would love to see Stewart back on a full factory team, with the fire he used to have...hmmmmm...maybe Stewart is who KTM is going to go after. That would make alot of sense ! I can't wait to see how this all plays out. I will bet the farm KTM will sign a HUGE rider in the next few months. I am betting that it is Dungey or Stewart !