PDA

View Full Version : Hunting season. Do's and don'ts

Leadfoot71
09-03-2010, 06:43 PM
The thread about hunting season got me to thinking. As a land owner (980 acres of it) I'd like to list off a few do's and don'ts to kind of help everyone out a bit and help keep land owners happy.

I don't charge hunters. Never have and never will. All I want is to get some of these dang deer off the road so I don't hit 'em with the cycle or my car. This can be done without any drama but I still have issues every single year. Here some tips. Most of these should apply anywhere you hunt.

Don't show up on some farmers door step and ask persmission to hunt and then show up with 15 other people during hunting season. Two years ago this happened to me. I had 2 Super Duty crew cabs, 16 guys, 2 trailers and 4 four wheelers here and only one of them knew who I was.

Don't give me a free can of coffee and then act like you own the place. You don't pay the property taxes, I do. Unless you want to do that, don't run up in my hills and place 8 tree stands. It really pi$$es off my other hunters when they see that.

Don't show up in a Lexus with an Obama bumper sticker. You're NOT hunting here. If fact, unless you GTFO quick, you might actually get hunted.

Don't whine. It's called hunting not killing. If you do whine, hey, better luck next year pal...(on someone elses farm!).

Don't ask me where the 30 point Buck is. You're the hunter, not me. Go ask the local school bus driver or mailman instead. I'm soo tired of this question! And no, I don't know what time he's supposed to show up either so please stop asking! I tossed out a couple of turkey hunters a few years ago because they asked me when the turkeys were going to show up one too many times.

Do "grease the wheels". Farmers like free coffee. Skip the beer or booze. A lot of us have quit. Some of us don't like your cheap beer. Some of don't like your expensive stuff. Pepsi always works fine. Bringing me a hot redhead with big hooters that likes to cook will earn you lifetime hunting privledges. Ask the landowner if they want anything. Look around. See all those Fords and John Deere's? Don't give that guy a Dodge hat. (that happens to me a lot!).

Do know the State game regs! I'm not a Game Warden! You'd better know when the season starts before even asking to hunt. I have to schedule many guys over several seasons and I'm not telling them "well there might be a guy on that ridge..maybe...so don't go there".

Do know how to shoot. This is a farm in the middle of the woods. If I wanted it to sound like Iraq or the southside of Chicago, I'd move there. Marksmanship is good. Dead deer is good. Dead hunters, cattle, or landowners... very bad. Bring your guns out during the off-season and we'll put some lead down range together! Wounded/winged deer are food for coyotes. I hate coyotes. Venison is too good for them things.

Do have some common sence. Carry trash in, carry it back out. Open a gate, close a gate. Don't park in front of a gate either. It's a gate not a parking lot. You don't want me to drag your brand new 4x4 truck across the feild with my John Deere 4020. Trust me. I've had to pull idiots out of the mud after telling them to not drive in it. They don't hunt here anymore.

Do show off your score! I wanna see what you got! Don't shoot and split. I HATE that! Shot a Bambi? It happens. Let me know and I'll give you some grief but you'll be back next year. If you hide it, you might not be.

I could keep going but I think if you guys follow these tips, private land access for hunting shouldn't be too much of an issue.

jays375
09-03-2010, 09:09 PM
I wish your place was closer.There wouldn't be any problems with following your rules if I could hunt your property.

Vealmonkey
09-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Leadfoot71, What a great posting. My hat is off to you sir. It's a shame that we can't get people into political offices with your forethought and ability to make things simple for people to understand. I wish you all the best for your hunters. May you reap the bounty of coffee and venison delights and may your cycling be venison free.

Thorpe
09-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Bringing me a hot redhead with big hooters that likes to cook will earn you lifetime hunting privledges.

Hmmm... I dont know of any females that fit the category, but maybe a guy I know.... I KID I KID! Excellent write up John! Hope you have a safe and drama free hunting season to come! Let me know if you need/want a little help thinning out that 'yote herd!

--Darrin

harryredtrike
09-04-2010, 01:01 AM
very nice write up.when i hunt on someone elses property i always hunt respectfully,i have passed on great deer because of a bad shot.not knowing for sure what is behind it.i always hunt alone too.

Leadfoot71
09-04-2010, 04:38 AM
Jays375. I've got a couple of guys that drive here from South Carolina to hunt. Unfortunately about all I've got open right now is second season and no ones gonna drive that far for a Doe.

Vealmonkey. Thanks, but I'd make a lousy politition. With the exception of my Big Red resto, when I run out of money, I quit spending it. :lol: At least I'll have a freezer full of venison this fall. People ask me why I don't hunt. All I have to do is open the freezer and then they know. Lol!

Darrin. How big are this guys hooters anyway...:naughty: Seriously though, come on down anytime and paste some 'yotes for me.

Harryredtrike. It's generally the locals I have issues with. Usually if someone drives 5+ hours to be here, they don't screw around or be stupid. Even then there are exceptions.

Here's a couple pics of my farms. It's a sportsmans paradise and still people mess it up for themselves. Go figure. :wondering

Two years ago I had a bow hunter (Shawn) knock on my door and complain that someone was sitting in his tree. I explained to Shawn that the guy was sitting in MY tree. Lol. He called yesterday. I asked how many stands he still has out. 5. Yeah, the guy left 5 stands in the woods for 2 years and now he wants to hunt. Good grief!

whyzee
09-04-2010, 07:05 AM
definitly a post worth reading. funny and true at the same time

Thorpe
09-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Beautiful spread you have there!

brapp
09-04-2010, 07:08 PM
well i know a big redhead with big hooters but i dont think toink you woudl care what i shot lol buit i am not responsible for what you catch lol nut on a serious note grewst write up one of the bigest things that bugs me is people not lettign me knwo thier there. i tell the people i let hunt just come to the house and write on the dry erase board that you are here and when you left and wether you god soemthign or not.