PDA

View Full Version : top end ? for a '94 blaster

johns'85 250sx
09-10-2010, 07:55 PM
hi!
how often do I have to do the top end on my '94 blaster if i don't really abuse it?, and how can I tell when it's time for a new one? or re-build or whatever as I have only done general maintenance to the thing. thanks! here's a pic.!
http://i52.tinypic.com/2d1vcls.jpg

dirtjunkie85
09-21-2010, 05:46 PM
sometimes its hard to tell when a bike is loosing power slowly i will usually do a top end on a two stroke every year or so. just to keep things clean and running good.
I've found piston kits for around 90 bucks for a blaster here ATV Piston (http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/home.do)

SYKO
09-21-2010, 06:18 PM
I had a warmed over blaster lots of stuff done to the motor, ran it like hell but always maintained it and it never needed top end over the three years that I owned it and since built it and as far as I know its running on the same top end so thats 5 now.

Vealmonkey
09-21-2010, 06:31 PM
You can always run a compression test on your engine and see if it falls within factory specs. If the compression is out of specs, maybe you want to see about doing your top end, if you are still in specs, unless you are at the bottom end of the specs, just ride it and have fun. You can always check your compression every month or 2, it's pretty easy to do, you just need a compression tester with the right threaded adapter to fit your spark plug hole. The tester will usually come with directions. You can get really cheap ones at harbor freight or you can always check Sears for better quality units or maybe you know a buddy or mechanic that can check it out for you.

johns'85 250sx
09-22-2010, 12:25 AM
thanks guys! especially for the compression tester idea! i just got done using it on my pickup project and never thought to go over and test the blaster(which was parked right behind the truck)! will the tester work if im just kicking it over? and it is starting to bog and lose power and run slower if i try to hot-dog it, are those the symptoms of it being time for a top-end swap? as I have still been riding the thing but slightly more gingerly. anyways thanks for the help, I'm going to go to the yammer site, find the spec.s, and if it is low, then I'll bore it(and if so what is a good spec. to bore it to?), and i'll try to use a Wiseco kit if i can find one. Thanks guys!