PDA

View Full Version : To all Noobs(new members), Check this out!

thestud25
09-15-2010, 01:20 PM
I myself am probably considered a noob on here, due to my short duration of being on this site. I know alot of the vets on here get a little annoyed about the repeat of questions being asked because you are not searching the posts hard enough.

Dksix has done it right. He bought a trike that needed work, bought a MANUAL, started the discovery process, and then started the rebuild.

He did not buy a trike that sat outside for 20+years, put gas in it, and expect to ride it that day. You do not have to buy a manual, you can download the majority of them on here(Trikesylvania). Check this link:
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?100424-Quad-manuals-and-data&highlight=250r+manual

If you have carb problems check this link: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?55086-Carb-Jetting-101-Terms-Tips-and-Jetting-Theory

I am not saying don't ask for help, I am just saying do some research, try and diagnose the problem and then if all else fails please ask for help. Have a nice day!

Here is the stellar example of what to do right that inspired me to post this little diddy.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?117440-My-first-trike-1984-200x

300rman
09-15-2010, 08:47 PM
hmm. a nice start to a quick reference guide.

brapp
09-15-2010, 09:04 PM
i agree, this is a great place to start for those who are new and inexperianced with this forum.

dksix
09-18-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words. This is the place if you need info on a dieing breed of fun to ride ATV's. Me personally, I've just never enjoyed driving quads and as stated in my introduction thread, my X has been a dream since I was a kid. The thread that got everything going just hit me wrong but it's nothing that doesn't come up on all specialty forums from time to time. I was into building a Honda turbo car and when I ran into the snobs it was easy to walk away from those sites because there are some many more options in the Honda car world. I found a great site that is very well managed which was aimed at my choice of the Honda offerings and was active there until I lost interest and moved on to something else. The biggest thing was that I'm just not a car guy, all my friends are into cars and that kept the build going much longer than my personal interest. After buying the running trike this week and getting to ride a bit (first time I'd been on a 3 wheeler in maybe 25 years), I admit I'm hooked. I'm 40 years old, I've worked in manufacturing (mostly thermoforming) and have allot of knowledge of many things and I feel like I can offer something to the site and trikes as a whole. I'm not going to be run off by a few of the snobs, though I will avoid them in the future. But group new all new members together and labeling the as stupid, worthless, lazy or whatever is no more valuable to the site or hobby than the poorly thought out post such as "I want to buy a frame how much does it cost". I don't want anyone to mistake my intents though. 3 wheelers will be a hobby for fun. I think it's something that my family can do together and I think working on the old bikes will be great for me and my son (he's almost 8). I don't have any intentions of mixing this hobby with my business. That's why there has been no links to my PC shop info or offers to do machining or fab work. If I'm lucky enough to make some friends here that are local enough to come by my place, it's here and they are welcomed to visit and take advantage of my modestly equipped shop and such. I would love to meet people in the area that I could do builds with, rides with and offer assistance to. But to anyone that thinks this (or any other hobby) will live without new blood coming into it, they are wrong. Fact is that there will always be people wanting to take the short cuts, easy way out and generally not contribute in a positive fashion, I will not be one of those people. Nor will I be one of the people that wants to complain about it. There is a right way and a wrong way to get things done. The older members who have forgotten more than I will ever know, have my respect for their knowledge and experience but can quickly loose my respect with childish conduct and complaining.

harryredtrike
09-18-2010, 10:43 AM
I myself am probably considered a noob on here, due to my short duration of being on this site. I know alot of the vets on here get a little annoyed about the repeat of questions being asked because you are not searching the posts hard enough.

Dksix has done it right. He bought a trike that needed work, bought a MANUAL, started the discovery process, and then started the rebuild.

He did not buy a trike that sat outside for 20+years, put gas in it, and expect to ride it that day. You do not have to buy a manual, you can download the majority of them on here(Trikesylvania). Check this link:
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?100424-Quad-manuals-and-data&highlight=250r+manual

If you have carb problems check this link: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?55086-Carb-Jetting-101-Terms-Tips-and-Jetting-Theory

I am not saying don't ask for help, I am just saying do some research, try and diagnose the problem and then if all else fails please ask for help. Have a nice day!

Here is the stellar example of what to do right that inspired me to post this little diddy.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?117440-My-first-trike-1984-200x

very nice thread,more basic info can be added all the time.

Mrs.Mosh
09-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Glad to see you around Danny. I enjoyed reading through your build thread, and am looking forward to future updates (and probably more builds) from you. Keep up the good work!

thestud25
09-20-2010, 09:45 AM
very nice thread,more basic info can be added all the time.

I totally agree. I was sitting here thinking that some of the new members have taking a verbal lashing for repeat questions. So, I threw this up to get a thread started. Obviously if anyone has more info please add it.

D-dub
09-20-2010, 10:54 AM
People would get the idea to read when nobody replies to their mundane questions. When 14 members reply with answers to the most basic of questions, Its not exactly encouraging them to read. Everyone is guilty of asking a basic question when they 1st get into a hobby. Repeditive threads like this is just as wastful of site space as the questions to begin with. This site is has been around for the better part of 12 years. All the info needed is on here or other sites. If you dont like the question simply dont reply or even waste your time reading the post. With 20,000 members ther will always be tards asking tarded questions.

thestud25
09-20-2010, 01:17 PM
People would get the idea to read when nobody replies to their mundane questions. When 14 members reply with answers to the most basic of questions, Its not exactly encouraging them to read. Everyone is guilty of asking a basic question when they 1st get into a hobby. Repeditive threads like this is just as wastful of site space as the questions to begin with. This site is has been around for the better part of 12 years. All the info needed is on here or other sites. If you dont like the question simply dont reply or even waste your time reading the post. With 20,000 members ther will always be tards asking tarded questions.

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Maybe "stumbling" upon this thread will get the answers they need and also let them know they need to "Search" first, and question second.

tri again
09-20-2010, 01:41 PM
I can obsess pretty easily because trikes need to get outsmarted most of the time.

Once you get one, it's usually a matter of time, and more time as opposed to throwing $$.

I usually like to make fun of engineers, whether it's computers or well pumps, chainsaws, loan modifications or refinancing or whatever so I try to learn as much as I can so I can at LEAST ask intelligent questions.

If I get to a point where the more I learn, the less I know, I'll ask.

As I come to realize, this whole trike thing and community is a metaphore for almost all aspects of a civilized society

D-dub
09-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Nothing against this thread at all. But all the info needed is in the stickies and sub forums.

Ironbnder
09-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Nothing against this thread at all. But all the info needed is in the stickies and sub forums.

We all agree with that. The problem is people are not looking to find it. That is what this whole discussion has stemmed from.

The Goat
10-03-2010, 12:21 PM
you think that a verbal lashing...you should have seen what they were given not all that long ago. I've still got infractions waiting to expire for the powerband threads lol