PDA

View Full Version : 350x New Crate Motor Report

MR ATC
10-07-2002, 09:13 PM
I though you guys might be interested in how a new crate motor has held up so far this motor i bought on ebay for 900.00 was put in my 85 360X chassie for Haspin (360X motor was not finished in time) i also installed one of my new speedometers and tachometers for referances here are the results
at 60miles the stator crapped out (1 of my concerns was how the electrical would be after sitting for 17yrs.
at 100miles i decided it was time to hit some dirt roads and open it up well it would not rev higher then 8500rpms in 5th and 6th gears 1-3 it will go over the 10,000 limit on the tach 4th will hit 10,000. for the record the 350X has no rev limiter like most 4strokes and will easily rev to 11,500 the cause of all this...clutch plates after sitting so long i believe they built up a glaze on them also as a side note i went against one of my own biggest rules synthetic oil (actualy semi-synthetic) i did this for break-in purposes funny how the clutch was slipping at higher rpms.
at 200miles which just happened today the motor started stalling real easily again (this is what happened just before stator went) and i seem to have lost compression once the motor got hot. so tommorow i will do a leak down test and check the valve adjustment (something that is due anyway) and decompression cable adjustment.
i will update you guys on this again soon

Trikeaholic
10-07-2002, 09:24 PM
did you find me a piston yet? 300 kit?

ATCRYDER
10-07-2002, 09:27 PM
thats an interesting bit of info....no rev limiter?

It would porbably be unsafe to remove one from a 200x? Thats what makes the 200x suxh a biotch to ride....horrible when it revs high (more like medium)

Rob

Honda350x
10-08-2002, 10:28 PM
i bought a crate motor off ebay about 2 years ago for 800. The oil cooler and carb got messed up in the process of them sending it to me. Insurance gave me 400 for the carb and oil cooler. Ended up paying 400$, used my old oil cooler and carb :D Havent touched the engine since the day i got it. Still running strong

MR ATC
10-09-2002, 12:07 AM
Rob, unless you can succesfully cut open and reprogram your CDI box you can not "remove" the rev limiter on a 200X and if i'm not mistaken 83-85 200X's didn't have a rev limiter either (yes i know yours is a 87)

John, i've only had to replace the original stator the replacement is working fine still. the stalling i beleive is related to my low idle setting combined with the loss of compression. as for my guages i was wondering why my speedometer has moisture inside it :D

as for the motor this motor is still running strong ... that is if you've never experianced a new 350X in 85/86. however i did not need the guages to tell me something was up they just confirmed what i already felt and keep track of things for me. i did not get a chance today to do the leakdown test but i did look real quick and noticed the decompression cable was loose. my gut instink tells me that the valves are too tight but that will have to wait untill tomorrow.

MR ATC
10-23-2002, 02:44 PM
well its been some time but to update the valves were way too tight after adjusting them the compression came back. i also put a new clutch in and got my revs back in 5th & 6th gears tommorow i'll go ride it and it should tap out the speedometer (70) it already taps the tachometer (10,000) just don't tell O.S. that he won't believe it...lol

350Kris
10-23-2002, 04:18 PM
Hey Bill, what all did you replace in your clutch? Thanks.

Kris

OldSchoolin86
10-24-2002, 04:24 PM
I was enjoying reading this tread and I was thinking to myself, well I could write a smart-trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro comment but I won't. Then I got to your invitation so here it is:

I sure wish I hadn't bought this new reliable 400EX. I could have got a good old high maintenance 350x. LOL. Sounds maybe now you can get the title back for those 350x's. On a serious note, sorry to hear about the troubles. I'm a little disapointed in you hearing you ran a semi-synthetic in that motor. Rookie. ;)

MR ATC
10-25-2002, 07:59 AM
lol at O.S. in all seriousness i never intended to run this motor in the first place. (Billy and i talked about this months ago) i bought it for parts to rebuild 3 other 350X motors i have. but, since my 360 motor was not ready for Haspin i threw it in instead. then it all just turned into a test out of curiousity since i had not had a brand new motor since 85/86. i wanted to test a few things and see how a crate motor would run after sitting 17yrs. just about everthing i thought could go wrong did with one exception internal rust. i was surprised how clean it was inside. that also was my thinking in running a synthetic oil. figuring it (the motor)would like the extra "slipperlyness"? after not moving for so long. i'll run the motor for another 200-250 miles before disassembling it for parts. as far as high mantenance 350X vs reliable 400ex well there just like women the hot sexy women are high mantenance and the ugly fat ones require none... :twisted:

Kris i replaced the whole clutch, plates and springs.

350Kris
10-25-2002, 11:14 AM
Bill, I think I found my problem........I never replaced the metal discs and I'm thinking 1 of them is warped......the clutch is original, so I'm sure all that heat got to it over the years.

OldSchoolin86
10-25-2002, 11:10 PM
Hey MR. ATC, you can always count on the fat chicks to stick around! LOL

MR ATC
10-26-2002, 12:53 AM
Well i've been with my hot sexy wife for 15yrs and had my 350X's 17yrs will you be able to say the same thing about your fat ugly golf cart...lol

OldSchoolin86
10-27-2002, 08:04 PM
Hey easy there, she might be listening. lol