PDA

View Full Version : where can i get a new mcculloch chainsaw coil?

sblt500r
09-23-2010, 05:54 PM
i have a mcculloch mcc1840b saw. needs a new coil, gets hot and i loose spark, cools off and starts right up. i can't seem to find a site online that has a parts breakdown for it.

saws probably not even a year old, i got it from the guy who bought it new and then took it all apart because it wasn't oiling the chain. i put it back together and have only used it a couple times.

Thorpe
09-23-2010, 07:17 PM
http://mccullochchainsawparts.net/

Dirtcrasher
09-23-2010, 10:05 PM
I thought someone bought them out, they always called them "throw away" saws..........

Mine won't start hot either, it loses compression in the aluminum cylinder. Nothing with the coil, are you getting different OHMS readings when it's hot??

sblt500r
09-23-2010, 10:39 PM
I thought someone bought them out, they always called them "throw away" saws..........

Mine won't start hot either, it loses compression in the aluminum cylinder. Nothing with the coil, are you getting different OHMS readings when it's hot??

yea they were bought out. i've read it was by poulan. but i could be wrong.

the newer saws do suck. i actually don't like them! but it was free, and its new, so what the hell, i don't cut lots of wood. just basically trimming stuff and maybe clear a fallen log in the trails. i also have 4 other mcculoch's. smaller eager beavers. pain to work on but when they run there pretty good. i like the little beavers better than this new saw.

i didn't ohm test the coil. but when its cold it has spark, i run it for a minute, gets hot, dies, pull the plug, and theres no spark. cools off then theres spark. unpluged the kill switch, and it doesn't make a differance. i fixed one before that did the same thing, brand new saw and when it was hot it woul die. changed the coil and it was good.

pretty sure its this coil. looks just like the pic. and the seller thinks it is also. hes 99.9 % sure!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390148846640&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR4 0%26_trksid%3Dp5039.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D3901488466 40%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

fabiodriven
09-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Poulins suck. They are throw-away saws, that's why nobody sells parts for them.

brapp
09-23-2010, 11:31 PM
spend a few bucks buy a good stihl i have a pair of 025's or the newer modle is the ms250 and its a good little saws and i ahve cut thousands of trees with it . but sorru its irrelivant yo your post but soem of the john deere saws are mad eby polan/ macolach just need to figure it out.

300rman
09-24-2010, 12:35 AM
honestly, there are a few Poulan saws in the family......all of them are more than 15 years old, and ours in particular has been through hundreds of hours of use. it got used to carve the ends of logs for the log cabin we built.......that saw has ran a LOT. maybe the newer ones suck, but the old ones were unstoppable.....

3wheelmecca
09-25-2010, 06:21 PM
McCulloch was the sh!t bitd, but now seems to have a part that always fails.
I would suggest getting an old school Remington 880, or a Homelite C9, those can cut through a big screen TV(Yes, yes I did)

Ironbnder
09-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Homelite was made by John Deere years ago. They have been bought out now by the Chineese like McCullochs and Poulans. All the saws that are sold now at Wal Marts, Home Depots or Lowes are disposable saws. Our saw shop down here has a sign in the window refusing to work on any of them. He will work on any real saws like Stihl or Huskys.