PDA

View Full Version : The CPSC Ban Paper Revisited

3wheelmecca
09-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Well, here it is, I am writing another paper about the CPSC ban and its effects. This is for my Political Science class. I am looking to get in more of a human element. If ANYONE has a quote talking about how three wheelers were (racers, riders,anyone), any quote that is about trikes and how it effected you, I NEED YOUR QUOTES!!!!!!!!!
Shortline, Mosh, DC, Fabio, anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PM me your entire quote and full name, and I guarantee it will be in my paper, hopefully Billy will read this and possibly put this paper into the Trike Ban page along with my other one.
PM with any questions or a quote.

Vince.

3wheelmecca
09-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Anyone? Starting the rough today and need some input. Please?

Billy Golightly
09-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Would be happy to put this one in there with your other one and some of the other material I've been working on put together lately. Let me know what you need help with?

3wheelmecca
09-27-2010, 01:00 AM
Quotes form the trike riders, for the trike riders. I don't need an expert, just any member that rides one.
Answer these questions: How have riding trikes effected you over the years?
What got you into trikes and what does it mean to you?
When the ban happened, how did it affect you and how did you feel?
Was the ban necessary?
Anyone that rides a trike, raced one, anyone. No holds barred, I am putting my 2 cents in. This will be for a massive part of my grade, also want to show my Government teacher whats up. He gives me crap every time I mention going out riding 3 wheelers(usually before showing up to his class heehee) before school.
PM me Billy, and we will talk more in depth.
Spread it around Billy, I need a lot of quotes, this paper will be 2000 words plus.

portland250r
09-29-2010, 05:07 AM
billy.

1. trikes have had a massive effect on me over the years, its made me a safe rider and i have been more happy to own one than i have any quad.

2. i got into trikes from riding a friends trike and after that i no longer was into quads i would ride dirtbikes but didnt like quads and rarely ride them anymore, it means a good 10% of my life and has me thinking about them alot it meant working harder than ever to buy my first trike and now it means family(they are never leaving as long as im alive)

3. the ban happened before i was born, it has a effect on me that i cant put into words without writing a whole 300 page chapter book of how pissed i am about it, the cpsc screwed it up and when i got into trikes i started searching and spending time getting to know about them. when i was new i didnt know crap about trikes, now i know every existing sport trike and most the other utility trikes. i think the ban was a mistake because when you look at the death reports i have always seen a violation of recommendations like not wearing a helmet, riding while drunk or on drugs, having a passanger, kids on adult trikes and people riding past their expierience and one huge issue is most people used the non suspension trikes like they were a sport trike the utility trikes were jumped and raced which resulted in injury or death and were used incorrectly so to summerize things up it was human error that got the trikes banned and the cpsc said the trikes were dangerouse cause of mechanical failure, no they were safe. the ban on trikes is something that i hate most and 90% of why i hate the cpsc.

tri again
09-29-2010, 02:48 PM
At the risk of offending your teacher,and getting on some watchlist
perhaps you could start with safety mandates in general.

Not to cause trouble, but just seeing all the commercials about lawsuits
regarding even denture adhesives causing heart conduction problems,
to airbags in cars toasting the wrong size / shaped people.

If it's a poly sci class, generic may be safest approach withOUT sounding anti (anything)

Pretend you're a news reporter, as you'll notice they try to keep their personal opinions
out of their reports.

We the people techincally vote on safety issues, seatbelts, texting while driving,
building codes etc but then there are lobbyists who 'persuade' our elected officials to
vote in their favor, usually financially motivated.

I've seen bills go thru that are essentially good for society in general. Like bannng texting while driving and on the last page of that bill, they'll slip in a motion to require water meters on private water wells. Has NOting to do with the orig law, but it gets passed because o one ever reads the
proposals.

Then again, I've been known to be completely off base.

Perhaps Reverse engineer your project.

You want an 'A', so figure out the way to get it.

HuffieVA
09-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Not sure if this is what your asking for, but here goes...

How have riding trikes effected you over the years?

I think that riding in general whether it be bikes, trikes or even four wheelers give young kids a sense of confidence and the desire to learn about the workings of the machines themselves, and although they may not end up building bikes or even doing anything remotely related to it, it teaches them how to hone their skills in whatever it is they decide to do in life and to develop the ability to solve problems and gain an appreciation for knowledge.

What got you into trikes and what does it mean to you?

I grew up in a rural area of upstate New York, riding anything with a motor was our main forms of entertainment and transportation combined. Being the early to mid 80's trikes were very popular and riding them became second nature.

When the ban happened, how did it affect you and how did you feel?

It was really confusing actually, we rode every day, and sure occasionally somebody got hurt but it was really considered part of growing up... everybody had a few "Evel Knievel Scars". Then all of a sudden the 20/20 and 60 minutes shows come on and paint a picture of eminent death and disfigurement to anybody that would even think about riding one. It was a really dark time, not just because of the trike ban but because it was the first time that it became blatantly obvious that the media created a monster and it got so far out of control that they actually brainwashed the majority of the country...

Was the ban necessary?

Absolutely not, what was needed was people to teach their kids to ride correctly, for the dealers to pitch in and make sure the parents were going to see to that rather than simply selling them a three wheeled nanny, which was really the root of the problem in the first place.

Anyone that rides a trike, raced one, anyone. No holds barred...

What it boils down too is that it was never the fault of the machine itself or the design, it was a very popular thing to do in the 80's, but because of that people thought that they were 100% safe and they just bought them for their kids and sent them off to play... often with little to no safety equipment or even any instruction...

That doesn’t make it the fault of the machine, but our society has learned that its much easier to point a finger than to lend a hand and that’s a shame...

After all if we all listened to Barbara Walters 24/7 we would eventually all start to sound like her, do you think 60 minutes would help us file a class action suit against her for giving us all a speech impediment? Or would that be our fault for listening to her?

3wheelmecca
09-30-2010, 01:46 AM
Just to clear it up, I am writing the paper. Billy and all the other members are to post their quotes on the questions. I am putting HuffieVA's on my draft as of now.

newrider3
10-01-2010, 11:13 PM
You do realize anything someone posts here will come up as plagiarized when you go to turn the paper in?

HuffieVA
10-01-2010, 11:52 PM
You do realize anything someone posts here will come up as plagiarized when you go to turn the paper in?

Not if he quotes it...

You seem a bit bitter, did you get poped in high school for plagiariism?

3wheelmecca
10-02-2010, 02:03 AM
Talked to whatshisface. It's cool.
Besides, the stuff I get from the hearings will be taken down verbatim(word for word), so something will be found, all on this site.
Newrider is not bitter, just wise, like Morgan Freeman, but with a cool beard. He's definately got me beat in a lot of academic subjects, like shop.

newrider3
10-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Not if he quotes it...

You seem a bit bitter, did you get poped in high school for plagiariism?

Nope, I go to school with him, and the history department started having us turn papers in online. The site searches for combinations of words online and in databases, and comes up as plagiarism if there are similarities.

3wheelmecca
10-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Turnitin.com is whom we go through. Last year, I told my US History teacher about this website, he used to have a 200X, then his parents sold it when the ban happened, lololol.
He loved three wheelers.
Danno, you don't go to school with me, I try to show up for school with you, resulting in a tardy by 30 minutes :D