PDA

View Full Version : Go Pro owners..Give me the low down please!

Mosh
10-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Ok, I think I am gonna get one of these.
So I remember reading about some problems with the HD models being hard to edit and upload?

I have a 2 year old PC with Windows movie maker and a newer PC with Windows 7.
Will I have issues with uploading and vid editing?

Also, I have some 4gig SD cards for my camera. I can use these on the Go pro Correct?

And Where is the best price?

I also saw a Hero something about 900 just a step below the HD version but quite cheaper..Ya or nay?

Do the batterys really last 2 hours, and what kind of storage capicity does the camera have right out of the box for filming?
Thanks.

jeopardy98
10-04-2010, 06:32 PM
I have the Go Pro Hero non HD and I paid $150 for the camera, a 4gb SD card (will take up to an 8gb) battery charger and all mounts. I use it for my trikes, my streetbike at the track, and when I go skiing. The only suggestion I have is to use the Energizer Lithium batteries. The HD version has a rechargeable battery but the standard does not. The lithiums are a must in cold weather and I just use them all the time because I get better life out of them. I think the quality of the regular version is very good and the price diff. for the HD isn't worth it. Just my opinion but I have been very happy with mine.

Mosh
10-04-2010, 06:58 PM
^^This is the kind of info I am looking for^^

I was wondering if the HD is really worth getting.

Youtube doesnt seem to handle it that well for viewing and I am impressed with the version you and Dammit has for video quality.

Keep the ideas coming.
Do they offer a Standard def version with rechargeable batteries?

MyMistress86R
10-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Yeah...great...just what I need...YOU with a helmet cam for when I tank at Wells...lol

Mosh
10-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Yeah...great...just what I need...YOU with a helmet cam for when I tank at Wells...lol
Then I gots to wear it backwards cuz you always behind me...Ohhh That hurt...LOL

MyMistress86R
10-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Dayum! I sure did open the door wide for that one. It did hurt, but not nearly as much as a solid rock kidney shot! Hell, just looking at your Wells pics w/ TimSR made my kidney hurt again...lol

Bryan Raffa
10-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Me too.. gonna pull the hook on one of these for christmas! thanks for bringin this up!

jeopardy98
10-04-2010, 10:35 PM
They do not offer a rechargeable battery for the standard model. The lithiums last a good while if you turn it off when not in use. I do not think the HD version is worth the money at all.

Dammit!
10-05-2010, 01:57 PM
The HD model is the cats ass if you have the computer power and software to deal with it. The quality of that thing for a $300 camera is ridiculous. A lot of reality tv shows are even using them for HD television broadcasts. I've seen them all over the place.

BUT!

I honestly think most people are better off with the standard def model. It's cheaper, WAY easier to edit the files (damn near everybody has windows movie maker) and the smaller file sizes are easier to upload. I use energizer rechargeable batteries in mine. I just charge them in my truck before and between rides. They won't hold a charge for long in storage so you pretty much have to do it that way but it's always worked for me. By the way, not all of the standard ones will accept a card bigger than 2GB right off the bat. There's new firmware out that allows for it but if you get one that hasn't been flashed yet, you would have to do it to make those cards work. I haven't flashed mine since my cards are 2GB anyway. The recordings will automatically stop at I think 56 minutes even with the bigger cards though. That's the maximum clip length.

Windows movie maker will not edit the HD files without some computer savvy. And even then it doesn't come out that well. I was planning to sell my standard model when I get the HD one. I have a Mac now so editing shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Edit: By the way, the SD cards for the HD model really should be class 6 or faster. Otherwise you would very likely end up having problems with corrupt files.

Dammit!
10-05-2010, 02:37 PM
I just looked at that new HD 960 model. You'd still run into the same headaches with that one that you would with the HD model. It uses the same file format as the regular HD (ie: no editing in windows movie maker). You could always convert those files to avi and edit with movie maker but thats just another step added to the process and you lose the HD in the process so it's kind of pointless.

Keep in mind, my experience with movie maker is limited to the version that comes with windows XP. If they've FINALLY gotten around to adding HD support to it with windows 7, well that would change things. For $179 that 960 model is actually a pretty good deal but only if it wouldn't be a huge pain in the rear to edit the files without losing the HD.

Edit again: I should have asked this in the first place but, what do you intend to do with the camera? If you just want to record and post small clips without doing any editing other than trimming them down to short clips, you can buy Quicktime Pro for $29 and that will do it just fine without losing the HD. It does not have any fancy editing ability other than trimming though. No titles, no transitions, no nothing other than trimming them down to size.

Mosh
10-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Hmm...All good info guys.

For the cost, the standard is looking better,and I am not real computer savy to deal with converting files and all that stuff, and buying a program to get good editing ability, would probably tack on another 150$ to the HD Go pro camera purchase.
I did find a guy here in Ohio that sells the HD for 235$ shipped..I thought that was a good deal.

I just wanted to wear this thing on some trail rides and stuff like that..I watched Dammit's videos again with the standard set-up and honestly, the quality is good enough for me.

I think I am gonna run with the non HD...

Last question.
They have a wide angle and standard angle non HD go-pro correct?

Which would be best then?

Dammit!
10-05-2010, 05:38 PM
The latest non-HD model is a wide angle. It's called the Hero WIDE. The older one is called the Hero 3 and you do not want that one. It's got a very narrow field of view in comparison.

Mosh
10-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Ok sweet...That is the way I am gonna go then.
Hopefully the next vids I have will be on board..Thanks for the input guys!

jeopardy98
10-05-2010, 05:44 PM
I will give you a hint with the wide though. You have to be right on someone if you are trying to video another person. Because it is so wide you really have to stay close to other objects for them not to seem really far away. I use it at the motorcycle track and when I'm chasing someone down it looks like I am a lot further away then I really am.

Mosh
10-05-2010, 05:49 PM
^^^ Thanks^^^

I dont intend on following others all that often for filming. But if I do I will keep that advice in mind.

Dammit!
10-05-2010, 05:56 PM
I will give you a hint with the wide though. You have to be right on someone if you are trying to video another person. Because it is so wide you really have to stay close to other objects for them not to seem really far away. I use it at the motorcycle track and when I'm chasing someone down it looks like I am a lot further away then I really am.

This is true. Here's an example. Go to this vid and check out the 0:56 second mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr3G1FlA5Ww

The camera in that shot is literally just a few inches away from my tire and yet you can still see pretty much the entire trike.

The wide angle tends to slow things down a bit too. Video shot with a 90 degree field of view tends to looks faster (and shakier). The GoPro wide has a 180 degree field of view so you can see much more of the action. I feel it's a very worthwhile trade off. I have a picture around here somewhere that demonstrates how much more you can see with it. I'll see if I can find it.

Dammit!
10-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Here's that pic. Inside the green square is what you'd see with a standard field of view (90 degrees) however everything in that green box would look closer to the camera. The pic was taken with the GoPro so that's what 180 degrees looks like.

Mosh
10-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Ok.
Thanks for explaining things to me..I am quite in the dark with this stuff so it all helps.

The riding I do, the 180 view will be fine..It show a good presperctive of the terrain. The areas are not wide open like the dunes.

BTW Doug, your videos kick ass.

jays375
10-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Can't wait tommrow is my b-day and I think the misses got me the GoPro Hero Wide motorsport.A question for Dammit is didn't you buy a Mac?If so what video editiing do you use now?

Dammit!
10-05-2010, 06:08 PM
The great thing about the 180 degree view is it makes aiming REALLY easy. Just point it in the general direction you want and you're good to go.

These vids are really easy to make by the way. It's not nearly as hard as people seem to think it is. Time consuming, sure, but not hard.

Dammit!
10-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Can't wait tommrow is my b-day and I think the misses got me the GoPro Hero Wide motorsport.A question for Dammit is didn't you buy a Mac?If so what video editiing do you use now?

Yes I have a macbook pro now. I haven't done much editing with it yet. Been so damn busy with school and work that I haven't had time to go shoot anything worth editing. The Macs come standard with an app called iMovie that's a step up from Movie Maker (and it does HD). I also have Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects CS5. I really, really, really want Final Cut Pro but haven't been able to get my hands on a working copy yet.

RoscoW
10-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Here's some woods trail riding from up in Mi. This is about as close as you would want to follow someone and it does look about 20 ft away. The other thing I noticed was if you attached the camera to the machine it became a very loud buzzing / white noise sound. If you didn't edit and include music it is horrible to listen to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUTsyuiP0rg

Mosh
10-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Thanks Rosco for the woods vids.
Gives me an idea of what I will be filming and how it turns out.

jays375
10-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Got the GoPro Hero Wide!Oh yeah!Just started reading instructions and it looks pretty darn easy to me.For what it costs I can't get over the quality.Hopefully will try it out those weekend.

posty2100
10-06-2010, 11:29 PM
I am also looking at buying the Go Pro Hero Wide Helmet camera. I want to buy this for atv/atc riding and snowmobiling. I have a few questions about this model. How waterproof is it, like can I use it on a helmet if its raining out? So to get 4GB of memory I would have to install the free firmware upgrade and buy a 4GB SDHC card? Can you just turn it on and off while you are riding or do you have to take it off to turn on/off?

jeopardy98
10-07-2010, 12:44 AM
You can very easily turn it off while riding and it is completely waterproof. It comes in a plastic housing that is sealed all the way around with external buttons for turning it on or off and starting or stopping a recording. It is pretty dang shock resistant too.

RoscoW
10-07-2010, 06:22 AM
We actually bought ours last year in Hawaii for snorkelling with. I think it's good to 30 ft or so under water. Easy to turn on and off even with riding gloves once you know where the button is.

Dammit!
10-07-2010, 11:57 AM
How waterproof is it, like can I use it on a helmet if its raining out? So to get 4GB of memory I would have to install the free firmware upgrade and buy a 4GB SDHC card? ?

If you buy a brand new one it should have the latest firmware already on there.

As for waterproof, yeah no problems there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1T1OZeXzk

ditchmud
10-07-2010, 09:00 PM
definitely waterproof the kids love playing with it in the pool:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1026126551889

lazybiker79
10-07-2010, 09:22 PM
I have a go pro HD and I love it. I think it's worth the money. If your going to buy one get all the mounts with it. I got mine on eBay they had the best price.

Bryan Raffa
10-17-2010, 08:21 AM
so what would you say would be the best for all around use..I do every kind of rideing , The 180? I dont want the best,, and obvously dont want the worse.

Dammit!
10-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Depends Bryan. The 960 HD is a very good deal money wise for what it can do. But it depends on what you want to do with it. If you're content to just post simple clips, I'd say that's a great choice. If you want to edit fancy vids together though, well there's a reason why you don't see a whole lot of those being made with the HD. The old SD models are a LOT easier to use for that sort of thing.

I still don't know if movie maker in windows 7 can edit the HD files. Does anybody here know for sure? That would sure as hell simplify a lot of things for a lot of people.

Dammit!
10-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Couple things I totally forgot to mention.

1) The HD cameras do have the option to shoot in 848x480 resolution (that's standard widescreen).

2) Youtube now offers some limited editing functions. I have never used it but it's there.

Mosh
11-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Depends Bryan. The 960 HD is a very good deal money wise for what it can do. But it depends on what you want to do with it. If you're content to just post simple clips, I'd say that's a great choice. If you want to edit fancy vids together though, well there's a reason why you don't see a whole lot of those being made with the HD. The old SD models are a LOT easier to use for that sort of thing.

I still don't know if movie maker in windows 7 can edit the HD files. Does anybody here know for sure? That would sure as hell simplify a lot of things for a lot of people.

Windows 7 movie maker and Vista has been updated by a feature called Windows live essentials. This incorporates and takes place of the traditional Windows Movie maker.
It is a bundle pac for photos, email vids and other things.
Quite honestly I hate it, and is very complex to use for me so far, but I have not played with it too much.
From what I gather it will handle HD, but you lose ALOT of the editing features that the traditional movie maker had. No transistions and effects. I think it may even have done away with music with vid options..(but dont quote me on that)
I believe that MS will update it at some point to have more features, but from what little investigation I have done, this whole "live" thing is a turn off for me.
I am not sure exactly what the "live" thing is, but it does have 1 step process for web sharing your media after you upload it. Therefor, it tells me that it is really easy to make a mistake and upload your media to the web, without intentionally wanting to.

So as far as I am concerned they can stuff this Windows live media/email pack, up thier you know what.
I just dont like it at all.
I dont like alot of new stuff though..lol

Dammit!
11-06-2010, 11:26 AM
There's other options. Pinnacle only costs $50. AVS is like $39. Quicktime Pro can do just basic cuts for $29. Adobe Premiere Essentials is like $80 I think. Even youtube has some basic editing functions now but I haven't used that feature yet. I would guess it's just simple cuts.

You can also convert the HD files to AVI to make them easier to deal with. The file sizes actually get bigger when you do it though. I will know more soon. I'm hoping to use my new cam next weekend.